Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2013, 01:55 AM   #61
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Except for site access in some state parks, bigger is better for us!

F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:32 AM   #62
Dontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #12608
Covered my bets. Two units, Bigfoot tt 25' all fiberglass and no slides. Upgraded from a Scamp 16'. The Monty replaced an Airstream 34'.

The smaller one mentioned above stays next to the house through the winter for spring break excursions. I can't get the Montana out of storage, until the snow is cleared at my seasonal locale, mid-April. Plan to use the fiver on extended stays in snowbird country, when the time comes.

Would hate to give up the bulletproof nature and ease of access with the smaller rig. Michigan has some killer State Parks and although you could probably get in most of them, you might want to take some extra roof vents with you if you go. See you in Asheville, then Charleston for spring break.

And yes, buy the biggest one you can afford, but make sure you have another downsized unit for stealth.
Dontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #63
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Whoa... bulletproof, killer, stealth... Those adjectives are scaring me even though I know of the SOB Stealth Toy Hauler (and I've always wondered why it was called "Stealth").
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #64
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you won't regret going "bigger". The more you use it, the more you'll love it.
Good luck.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #65
Dontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #12608
Art, I work with teens and sometimes their vernacular is catchy. I enjoy your videos and have a Giant Trance, which needs a workout from time to time. Kinda like a Ninja.

Always appreciate your balanced posts. Keep em going.
Dontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #66
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
LOL Dontana (clever name)... I shoulda guessed since that is such a "young" lingo now that you mention it.

Back on topic. I love my behemoth and the only thing preventing me getting a larger one is that I would need a larger truck and that is more expensive than my wallet can bear. Cost is the issue not the size. Get all you can if you can. You'll get used to it and enjoy the expanse!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #67
jmi
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10907
We luv our big rig. You do have to be mindful of the size. We have a long bed crew cab with a 38' Monty. Previous rig was 27' class c. You just need to think ahead to avoid situations you cannot get out of. Plan some easy journeys to build some experience. The Monty sells itself, we luv ours.
... Jeff
jmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 AM   #68
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
I would like to triple the truck,monty, and jeep when I go to Moab but truck and monty = 57'. I'll exceed the length limit. So we have to drive separately when we go jeeping there.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:10 AM   #69
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Lisa

Couple of things to add that haven't neccessarily already been addressed by the fine folks on this site.

Set up and break down every couple of days. It will get old but I can't imagine it not getting old if you chose a tent, a pop up, or any tow behind trailer. There is not much "special" that you have to deal with in this rig than any other type out there....in fact, being big means they didn't have to cramp all the hook ups into a real small space so it might be a little easier.

Since you will be setting up and breaking down every couple of days, I will assume you will be moving your rig down the road between those events. You will find that (at least in my opinion) that towing/backing a 5th wheel is MUCH easier than a tow behind trailer, even a small trailer. Once you get comfortable with it (back to the practice theme again) you will be happy with your decision.

One piece of advice, if you haven't towed a large rig before with a brake controller make sure you practice being able to reach down and manually engage the trailer brakes without looking for the lever. In almost all emergency situations (blow out, loss of a tire, etc) brake first with the trailer only to reestablish control of the whole rig and then use the truck brakes to come to a complete and safe stop.

Bill
Hi Bill, just another MOC member trying to help out where I can! I am a professional truck driver for about 35 years now and have done extensive training in several college training courses. While I am not trying to sound like a "Know it All" and the fact that I haven't pulled a 5th wheel, we have been taught not to use the hand brake for the trailer as it could lock up the wheels on the trailer. Of course semis have air brakes and that may make a difference since 5th wheels have electric brakes. In fact our new trucks don't have handbrake levers anymore. Not disagreeing with you, just wondering???
gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #70
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
One of the big difference is with the air brake truck & trailer when you press they pedal all the brakes apply the same amount at the same time. With the electric brakes there is a slight delay. The older style, non-intergrated have the most delay. They wait for a change in the towing vehicle before apply the electric brakes (think pindelum, the more it swings the more electric brakes you get). With the integrated system the process starts as soon as you press the pedal but you still have to translate the force of braking to an electrical current that is then applied to the magnets for pressure or if you have disks on the trailer then the amount of current pressurizes the master cylinder in the trailer.

My electric brake controller is integrated to the application side of the air brakes. On a hard brake I can tell there is a slight delay. I have disks on the trailer. My truck does not have the trolly or hand brake but I do have the slider on the brake controller.

As far as trailer size. Could not imagine a smaller trailer. Our previous trailer was a smaller 5th wheel. We enjoyed it, but the 3400 is much more liveable. I imagine our next trailer will be in the 40'~42' range. Little bit bigger but not much. Everything we really like is currently in that range. But that is still a few years off and we are extremely happy with the 3400.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #71
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a "little" 32 foot 2955. One of the larger 38 foot drop front frame campers like all of the new models just would not work for me. I would love the extra storage space but the rough places I take my camper I would drag the under belly off just before I took off about 5 feet of the under side of the back end. So I stuck with my old near perfect condition 2955 but I would like a nice new 3700 when my wife goes with me. Maybe I just need 2 Montes, naw.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #72
JLH
Established Member

M.O.C. #13280
We have been considering the 3150 and 3100 Montana's but would prefer the 3400. I have ruled it out because we will be towing a 14' RZR trailer behind it and this would make total length about 68'. After reading this thread I'm starting to reconsider. Anyone that pulls doubles have an opinion?
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #73
F3fifty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12628
The "too big a rig" was spoken a couple of times until we bought a new F350 6.7 Power Stroke. Our Monty is 36 Ft and our selection of camping spots needed a major re-set coming from a 24ft Cougar. Overall wife and I very satisfied with our decision to jump to 36ft, it just took one season of camping to get through the "what were we thinking" discussion.
F3fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:05 AM   #74
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
after owning tents, pop-ups, traveler trailer, motor home and now on our 7th fifth wheel take what you have any enjoy. one thing I have learned is that there is no perfect unit so that is why I say enjoy what you have.
we now have a 07, md. 3295, 37' long that my wife loves. she likes having the kitchen in the rear. we tow south in the winter and north west in the summer. we have been full time since spring of 06.
I would add disc brakes to the tra.
again I say enjoy what you have.
paddler67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:18 AM   #75
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
We have been traveling with a 3000RK for seven years now and since we are still working our traveling is limited to number of vacation days we can save up. We retire July 2013 and are looking around for a larger unit in hopes we will be able to be on the road for longer periods of time.. Welcome to the forum and enjoy you rig.
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #76
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I think most of us have the same thoughts on this subject- The rig is too big when towing and/or parking, but too small when we're all jammed inside during inclement weather- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #77
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I went from a 28' TT to a 34' TT to a 39' 5th and now to a 41' 5th wheel and still find even with being single, the 41' current coach does at times feel tight. My next coach will be either a 45' 5th or at least a 42' Class A. I also tend not to camp in state parks so having a coach at or beyond 40' is not a problem for me. As for towing, I dont even notice the additional length on the coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #78
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Considering trading for a 3900 FB as we speak. The bigger the better to me.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #79
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Smaller? I want one with a vertical slide out so I can have a two story with a man cave on the lower level! Maybe something that works like those children's pop-up books!?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #80
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Added 4 more feet and 2000 lbs in January and like it. Would like inside stairway to a roof patio similar to those on house boats .
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote