Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
Washedman
Established Member

M.O.C. #18412
Relatively new 2955RL owners

My wife and I purchased our rig used last year, still learning about it, and learning about travelling in it. Just took a 2 week up to Yellowstone and Rushmore. Awesome trip, but not without challenges. Still have the ITS-50 transfer switch, though intend to change out sometime. One leg to the dist panel came completely loose, and that after doing the research and checking the leads for tight after purchase! Yikes! If you have this switch, include checking internal connection tightness anually. Also, first time you check it, locktite those terminations!

Washedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I suggest you also open up the AC distribution (circuit breaker) panel and the 12 volt fuse panel and check all wire connections for tightness, with power off of course.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
Washedman
Established Member

M.O.C. #18412
Done did. I'm a (really) old maintenance electrician though I work in the Planning dept now. First thing I did after the switch was do the panel. Found the RV Dealer the previous owner had install the second (bedroom) AC had wired it to the same circuit as the primary AC. Gee, wonder why it tripped the genny breaker??!! Rewired that and checked all for tight. Basic elect maintenance function to me, but not all might think of it.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #4
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washedman View Post
My wife and I purchased our rig used last year, still learning about it, and learning about travelling in it. Just took a 2 week up to Yellowstone and Rushmore. Awesome trip, but not without challenges. Still have the ITS-50 transfer switch, though intend to change out sometime. One leg to the dist panel came completely loose, and that after doing the research and checking the leads for tight after purchase! Yikes! If you have this switch, include checking internal connection tightness anually. Also, first time you check it, locktite those terminations!
What year is it? My wife and I are the 2nd owners of a 04 2955RL and love it. We haven't had it a year yet. But I've installed a 400 watt solar system, 4 6v golf cart battery's 4 new Saluns and pay as you go satellite and we are as happy as pigs in #**# oh well you know.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Not sure about all years, but the 2010 2955RL we had we bent the steps several times on dips in and out of fuel stations. They hung down so low it was easy to drag them when going through a dip.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:43 PM   #6
Washedman
Established Member

M.O.C. #18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
What year is it? My wife and I are the 2nd owners of a 04 2955RL and love it. We haven't had it a year yet. But I've installed a 400 watt solar system, 4 6v golf cart battery's 4 new Saluns and pay as you go satellite and we are as happy as pigs in #**# oh well you know.
We'received a 2005. Same basic format as yours. Beyond 2006 or 7 they increased slightly in length, and that wasn't acceptable to me, 32' was my limit. We got a screaming deal for a unit with less than 300 miles (previous owners bought it and put it in a park in Tucson) so it was plugged in all the time, temp controlled inside so az heat didn't hurt it. Absolutely imaculate inside, decals on curb and front starting to fade and curl.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:44 PM   #7
Washedman
Established Member

M.O.C. #18412
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Not sure about all years, but the 2010 2955RL we had we bent the steps several times on dips in and out of fuel stations. They hung down so low it was easy to drag them when going through a dip.
No problems so far, and I even drove with mine down by accident once for a few miles.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:47 PM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Maybe that was the issue, our 2010 was approx 35' so the extra length might have been the issue.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #9
Washedman
Established Member

M.O.C. #18412
Not sure how much further back that would put the door. Ours also has the axles under the springs, like when you would flip any other trailer axle. I assume that's stock configuration.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:00 PM   #10
Washedman
Established Member

M.O.C. #18412
Mel B, be sure to check that transfer switch if you have a genny, or are genny ready. I think it should be on the wall of the batt comp, that's where ours is. When I started crawling around mine to figure out what we had after we bought it, the research I found said there was a recall for those ITS-50 transfer switches because they burned some trailers to the ground, elect fires. The elect connections will loosen just from thermal expansion/contraction. That will get it started, then bouncing over the road will loosen them up the rest. Really bad ju-ju. What I refer to as a "high-joint", or high resistance connection. Gets hot, makes fire, there goes the rv.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:35 AM   #11
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washedman View Post
Mel B, be sure to check that transfer switch if you have a genny, or are genny ready. I think it should be on the wall of the batt comp, that's where ours is. When I started crawling around mine to figure out what we had after we bought it, the research I found said there was a recall for those ITS-50 transfer switches because they burned some trailers to the ground, elect fires. The elect connections will loosen just from thermal expansion/contraction. That will get it started, then bouncing over the road will loosen them up the rest. Really bad ju-ju. What I refer to as a "high-joint", or high resistance connection. Gets hot, makes fire, there goes the rv.
I don't have it, I run a gen. but it's not built in. When I had my solar installed I put a 2000 watt inverter/charger it has a transfer switch built in. The entire coach is powered through the inverter. And my steps don't drag either. I got a great deal also, bought from the first owners, a couple in thier 70's It's got some decal fading but other then that you would never no it's 13 years old.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:50 PM   #12
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
My 2005 does not have the transfer switch or gen prep. I have been extremely pleased with my unit. Where did you put your inverter Mel B?
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #13
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ojocky View Post
My 2005 does not have the transfer switch or gen prep. I have been extremely pleased with my unit. Where did you put your inverter Mel B?
I have all the componets mounted in the basement. The romex cable is right there so it's so convenent to wire to the entire coach, I also installed a "shut off" switch for my progressive Dynamics converter, so it's off and not trying to charge the battey's from 110v created by the inverter. I removed the two 12 volt deep cycle battery's and their boxes, then I bought two new battery boxes (Interstate battery sells the best boxes I've ever seen)and installed air vents through top and bottom of each battery box and wired the 4 6volt batterys to a Perko switch so I can run 1 or both battery banks. The C/C and the inverter/charger are both mounted on the back wall of the basement. I know they say not to mount the inverter in the same compartment as "WET BATTERY'S" but with my boxes are sealed and with the air vent system I installed to both battery boxes, I don't have a problem mounting them next to each other. All my cables are Welding cables, and the two from the Batterys to the inverter are equal lengths 18" all my components are "RENOGY" and I could not be happier.