Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2004, 09:29 AM   #1
Montana_2011

M.O.C. #2011
Hello

Hi, my wife and I are considering a Montana and would like to know if there is a size limit in any/most campgrounds in the Lower 48 states? If there is a limit, what is the most campground friendly size?
Thanks,

Montana_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:05 AM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Welcome Pepper, There will be someone along soon with the answer you are looking for.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:35 AM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Welcome Pepper!

We have found the magic number to be varied. You just have to research ahead of time by searching the internet or making calls.

Many campgrounds will have sites large enough to accomodate large rigs but unfortunately the roads and turns inside the campgrounds are not designed for large rigs trying to manuever. We found this to be the case in many older campgrounds.

You also have to be concerned with the height of your rig. So be sure to ask about length and height restrictions. (Tunnels, arches, trees, overpasses..etc.)

If we had to throw out a length that we found to be "it"..... it would be 24' to 27'.

Hope this helps.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:54 PM   #4
Montana_632
Established Member

M.O.C. #632
We have a 36' Big Sky and we have not had a problem at most private parks. State parks and National parks are however another story. Many of these parks can only handle up to about 24'. So if you plan on using these parks alot then you will need to think a little smaller. I hope this helps.

Bruce Lowell
www.EvergreenBargains.com
Montana_632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:11 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours is 35'. We've really not had a problem with getting in most private parks and many public parks. However, some of the older county and state parks won't be able to accommodate you and most national parks have a limited number of sites large enough for you. But there's plenty of parks around that can handle our size so we just don't worry about it. The campground directories, like Trailer Life and Woodall's specify max size when there is a restriction.

Unless you plan on spending a lot of time in public parks with size limitations my advice would be to buy what you want and don't worry about it. There will be plenty of parks that can handle the size. At least that's been our experience.

Some states' state parks can handle you with no problem. I know that's the case in Kansas, where we used to live. I've seen forty foot trailers and motorhomes in those parks with no problem. Many Corps of Engineers parks can handle you also, at least those in Kansas. In some there will be length restrictions but for the most part it's not a problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:49 PM   #6
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Good question to ask. We chose to limit the size of our Montana to the 2955RL because we will still be able to enjoy the state parks in Oregon where we spend most of our time. We also chose to have slides only on one side for the same reason. We are very comfortable in our rig and we can still stay in the parks we love. You need to decide what your needs are and will be for the next few years and not get anything larger than will go where you want to take it.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:01 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Welcome Pepper and wife! Nice to have another Alaskan in the forum. As you can tell I am from Palmer, AK. If you are going full time--more space the better. Keep us posted. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:04 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
The size you need depends on the use it is going to get. We had a 28' which was big enough for the two of us. However, since we have a handicapped adult son that travels with us everywhere, including 6 mos. in Tx. we found it a big confining. We now have a 36' which has lots of open space in the living area and it is just what we need.
Take your time and sit it them for a while. You will make the right decision, I am sure.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 03:14 AM   #9
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Welcome to the MOC,
Size was/is a consideration for us too as we are going full time with a herd of 4 animals as soon as the house sells. Our first destination as Workampers is going to be southern California (where my inlaws are alone and in poor health)./ We have noticed a few parks that have 24' or so size restriction, but as someone else said.. There are LOTS of other places to both stay and work... Get what you will be comfortable living in!
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:40 AM   #10
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have had our 36' for about a year now and have not had any problem finding a place to park it. As sriegle sugguested the trailer life book is a great source for locating parks that will fit the rig you choose.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:36 PM   #11
Montana_1520
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1520
Hello Pepper and wife,
Everybody has given you great advice. We worried when we bought our 36ft Big Sky but love the open space and roominess. We've found that a lot of the older RV parks have smaller sites and that the newer ones have modified their campsites for big rigs. Length is not usually our biggest concern--we always check (by phone or books mentioned) for the width of the sites to accommodate our slideouts. But since we usually travel making reservations in advance we check on all this beforehand and have had few problems. And we have found some good suggestions for parks right here on the MOC website.
#29 fans Chuck and Linda Posey, CA
04 3670RL Big Sky 04 Chevy 3500 CC Dually 4WD Duramax/Allison
Montana_1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:45 AM   #12
Montana_2011

M.O.C. #2011
Thanks to all for the comments. I will look for the books you mentioned and continue with the pre-purchase process. Can't wait!
Pepper
Montana_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote