Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Oklahoma City

Arrived today and staying at Tinker AFB Fam Camp. FHU/50 amp = $15.00 a night. Just have to get up for Reveille and salute the DW before bed each night. Other than that, LIFE IS GOOD!!! BTW just kidding about reveille.

Planning on going to the Federal Memorial and the National Cowboy Museum. Anyone else have any ideas??????

Phil

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
countrylady
Established Member

M.O.C. #9820
Send a message via Yahoo to countrylady
Bricktown is a great place to spend some time. Haven't been there in a while...we live about an hour away...LOL! There are alot of good restaurants,the river canal and life-size statues of scenes depicting our landrun that are all along the walking paths.
Just a bit farther down the road is Bass Pro Shop. Not as big as the one in Springfield, but still nice just the same.
countrylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
You could go to Norman and root for the Sooners!!!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
countrylady
Established Member

M.O.C. #9820
oh, now why did you have to go and mention something like that??? It will surely ruin a perfectly good time in our wonderful state!!!

We're die-hard Cowboy fans ourselves and they're playing Texas this weekend...go Pokes!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Phil, not sure how close you are, but we did the rte66 thing a little farther north of you. There is a 3 mile stretch that is still the old roadway and lots of old gas stations reopened. Lots of history and old cars too!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Velma, we plan on doing the river canal, thanks, What is Brickyard???

Dennis, My son is a died in the wool Texan, having been born in San Antonio, I don't think he would let me root for the Sooners. I have been debating on sending him a Sooner T-shirt but afraid he will use it as a car rag......

Steve, I will have to look into that as I really enjoy the nostalgia stuff....
Old 10-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
countrylady
Established Member

M.O.C. #9820
Bricktown is an old area just on the eastern edge of downtown OKC made up of old "brick" buildings (hence the name). Over the years, this area had become quite delapidated with homeless people, etc, taking over the area. BUT, someone had the vision to revamp the old area to help boost our economy and interest in the downtown area (in the past, there was really nothing to do downtown except work!) Like I said, there are several restaurants/bars, dance centers, hotels, Sonic Drive-In headquarters, Coca-Cola and our beautiful baseball park...just to name a few of the many things in the area and then our Ford Convention Center is right on the outskirts. The riverwalk canal is much like the one in San Antonio with canal boats that can be riden in the canal. And like I said, the newest addition (I think) are the life-size statues of scenes portraying our famous landrun for the opening of Oklahoma Land. It's quite the place to go and has become very popular over the years.
If you're going to be at Tinker AFB, it's quite easy to get to and not very far
Old 10-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
countrylady
Established Member

M.O.C. #9820
oh, I just saw Emmel's post about old Route 66...it's about a 20 minute drive up I-35 from OKC. If you do take that route and go east, you need to be sure and stop in Arcadia where they have an old round barn and a really neat restaurant called Pops...FULL of all kinds of sodas that you never even knew existed!! A fun and unique place to visit and the food is pretty good, too! Lots of fun places to stop east OR west!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Last Tue. we went to the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, it was fantastic.
Afterward we took the canal ride and had dinner at a restaurant in Brick Town.
First time I ever had alligator.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Check out the commissary...it's only a few years old, very big and very nice.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Tom, I was in there today and it it the BIGGEST commissary I have been in to date..... Ron does the alligator taste like chicken? lol

We have added the following to our list of places to see while here: Bricktown canal, Bass Pro Shop (can get the trolley there to the National Memorial), Route 66 Park and I might be able to squeeze in the OK Railway Museum (DW does not do train museums anymore), and possibly the World of Wings Pigeon Museum (can you believe it?) NOT. OH and the Overholser Mansion....

We are going to extend our stay here a couple of days as this is a nice Fam Camp and we feel at home being on an AF Base, with over 41 years of Active Duty bewteen us....

Thanks to everyone who responds to my requests, you mean an awful lot to us......

Phil & Cathy
Old 10-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #12
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Phil
Chicken tastes better, but at least I tried alligator.
Ron
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:51 AM   #13
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
I am so sorry Velma and Bill! Living in Tulsa sometime back and actually going to Stillwater for a few Cowboy games, I should have not recommended to Phil to go to a Sooner game. Shame on me, but OK has a great football tradition in both teams. Even Tulsa has a great team and enjoyed going to some of their games while working in Tulsa.

Phil, don't send a Sooner T-shirt to your son. He will use it definitely to wax his car!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dennis, I think I will spend his t-shirt money on an alligator dinner then tell him how good it was!!!!!!!!! Of Course, I could buy him a Cowboy T-shirt and tell him I thought it was Dallas......Nah, I think the alligator dinner is better......
Old 10-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #15
countrylady
Established Member

M.O.C. #9820
Dennis and Judy,
All is forgiven about pushing the Sooners. Everyone we come across from out of state assumes that we're all Sooner fans..that it is the only big school around...but we have to straighten them out. LOL

Never was a Sooner fan and never will be (oh, alot of it could be that DH played football at good ol' OSU)..in fact, we root for Texas when they're playng OU! Isn't that awful??? hehehehehe

Seriously though...our grandson is bound and determined to go against the grain and be an OU fan and we have very dear friends who are Sooners...so, to each their own. Just have to remember to tease in a fun and respectful way
Old 10-31-2009, 05:35 AM   #16
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Phil, I too would go for the 'gator dinner. You have to try it.

Sooners and Cowpokes rivalry is about the same as Florida State Seminoles and the Florida Gators! We understand and we don't get ugly about it here...yet!!
Old 10-31-2009, 05:04 PM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I must report that I was VERY impressed AND moved at the OKC National Memorial and Museum. For anyone who has not been here you must put it on your bucket list. It was hard to do anything else afterwards. I had to find a Starbucks and decompress.

Another beauty is the National Cowboy and Western Museum. This is a very upper class museum that depicts the western history very well. Many artifacts and art pieces. Another must do if in OKC. Drove around Bricktown and will visit there tomorrow. We did go to the Bass Pro Shop for awhile and had coffee at a very "upscale McDonalds?" across the street...

More to come....

Phil
Old 11-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #18
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We're in Elk City, OK and will be in OKC week after next. Will y'all still be around? If so, maybe we can get together for a mini-rally??
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #19
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Pam, we are pulling out this Tuesday on our way to Texas. Sorry we will miss you guys...
Old 11-02-2009, 02:10 AM   #20
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Phil,Trappers at I40 and Meridian has really good blacken Gator. That is the only place that I have eaten that has good gator.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote