Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2023, 02:26 PM   #1
tonythepony
Established Member

M.O.C. #32418
Water pressure

Howdy everyone!!
I took everyone’s advice and installed a water pressure reducer with a pressure gage on it.
I wanted to try using my city water connection on my 2010 Montana mountaineer.
I installed it, turned on the water at hydrant, water pressure read about 45 psi.
After a few minutes the pressure reading on the gage jumped to 70 psi.
My question is … is this normal? And am I reading this pressure correctly?
Is this 70 psi on the input to the gage or am I putting 70 psi to my water faucets inside the camper?

tonythepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 04:30 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you got something like this, either return it or throw it as far as you can. It is NOT a regulator. https://www.campingworld.com/rv-wate...si-132203.html

Go back to the store and get a real regulator like this. https://www.campingworld.com/adjusta...si-132204.html

In those cheap so called regulators, there are no moving parts so they are really unable to actively regulate the pressure. This is all there is in them that just restricts the flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reg2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	15007   Click image for larger version

Name:	reg4.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	15008  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 05:07 PM   #3
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
There's a variability in the adjustable regulators in terms of quality. I've had them fail.

No, your experience isn't normal so if you can't get it to stick at 45psi then it's a faulty regulator. If it's new I'd return/replace it.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 09:56 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
That is absolutely true. We had one of those Valterra adjustable ones for a couple of years and it started to increase the pressure. Tossed it and got a heavy duty Watts regulator and got fittings to make it work with water hoses. Haven't made an adjustment ever with it and it's still working great. Where we are at now, incoming pressure is 100 psi, and this Watts unit is still holding at 45 psi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Watts regulator.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	15009  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Watts pressure regulator specs.pdf (323.2 KB, 29 views)
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 08:15 AM   #5
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
I'll have to keep an eye on mine, but so far the Valterra has been good for 4 years.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 08:34 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Fill your fresh water tank and pump water from there with your on-board water pump. You'll never have to worry or be concerned about water pressure again. I never hook up to a water spigot and leave it on. Never. I always fill my fresh water tank and pump from there. To each his own though. But, I also never have to worry or be concerned about over pressure, or if I spring a leak, not knowing it until it's too late. If you use your water pump always, and if you have any type of leak, a drippy faucet, or something not right, you'll hear the water pump kick off. When you hear it running and you know it's not suppose to be running, you can immediately turn your water pump off and save a flood. THAT IS PRICELESS!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 08:48 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Here's another reason:

I am currently at a full hook-up campsite, working as a camp host. I use my campsite for a number of work duties. One duty is cleaning out fire pits. However, sometimes, there is still hot coals in the fire pits. I go ahead and scoop them up in a metal bucket and then dump them in the containers in front of the host site and drown them with water.

I keep one hose strung out to my camper. It's attached at the camper, but I don't leave the water on at the spigot. I attached my second hose to the spigot and put a sprayer on the end of it. I can use this hose to stretch over and spray the hot ashes and coals I collect from the fire pits.

A few days ago, I forgot to turn off the water spigot, but the sprayer did not let any water spray and there were no drips. But I did forget to turn the spigot itself off.

The next day, I wanted to fill my fresh water tank, so I had to switch hoses. I then realized I'd left the one attached and the spigot on. And then I was really taken back when I looked at the hose that was under pressure all night. I took a photo of both hoses. Originally, both hoses were the same size in diameter. Look what happened when the one with the sprayer attached was left under pressure all night? I don't have a water pressure regulator.

If you are going to use a water pressure regulator, make sure you attach it right at the spigot, not at the camper. Otherwise, you hose may burst.

Next trip to Wall Mart, I'm getting a new white hose. I don't trust this one any more to be under pressure.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote