Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2018, 06:16 AM   #61
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
It is saying that a PM was sent to Richfaa.
Ok, again, wasn't sure what I was reading. It did say that "Richfaa sent you a PM". But didn't know if it was to me or Mike117 or to Richaa from Mike117, or to me. If it was to me, I just wanted to let the sender know that I didn't get. Thanks for the clarification. At least I know that you will talk to me!

Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:33 AM   #62
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
My 2018.5 3791RD is CAT scale weighed @16,820 and pin is 3,500.
16,820#! You must have a *Ton* of tools in that rig. I'm slowly upping my pin from 3,050# - adding 10 gallons of diesel and a couple of grill LP bottles. Our rig weighed 15,100 at weigh in but then again, Joy only carried two boxes of Christmas decorations.

I tried to send you a private message but not sure it made it through.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:31 AM   #63
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Ok, again, wasn't sure what I was reading. It did say that "Richfaa sent you a PM". But didn't know if it was to me or Mike117 or to Richaa from Mike117, or to me. If it was to me, I just wanted to let the sender know that I didn't get. Thanks for the clarification. At least I know that you will talk to me!......
it was me to Mike 117 regarding hitches
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:46 AM   #64
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
it was me to Mike 117 regarding hitches
Okie dokie, hopefully I'll know next time. Thanks
Old 02-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #65
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
'Back to original programming'

You will not regret the BD3, we have been living with one for 7 yrs and maybe 100,000 towing miles.
With M/R pin we never feel anything, no matter what the road surface.
Go for the onboard air pump, slick and easy to use.
Because the head 'floats', non level hook ups are a non event.
We run with 55lbs of air in the hitch bladders.

-Steve
sapest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #66
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapest View Post
'Back to original programming'

You will not regret the BD3, we have been living with one for 7 yrs and maybe 100,000 towing miles.
With M/R pin we never feel anything, no matter what the road surface.
Go for the onboard air pump, slick and easy to use.
Because the head 'floats', non level hook ups are a non event.
We run with 55lbs of air in the hitch bladders.

-Steve
Thanks Steve, pretty sure that's what we will get. Do they also sell the onboard air pump? What are you pulling? How much does it weight loaded and what is your pin weight? Any problems with the BD3?

Thanks for your response.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:13 PM   #67
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are the same as Steve with the BD 3.Very smooth ride not a single problem our loaded weight is @ 15K and our pin weight is 3K. Agree with the Onboard air pump.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:29 PM   #68
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
To Richfaa. Question on Mor ryde
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:16 PM   #69
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We are the same as Steve with the BD 3.Very smooth ride not a single problem our loaded weight is @ 15K and our pin weight is 3K. Agree with the Onboard air pump.
Where did you buy the air pump? I don't see one on their website.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:51 PM   #70
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Baldicon
Hensley resells an Air-Lift kit,
Its on the Trailersaver web site -
http://www.trailersaver.com/parts-and-accessories/

We tow a heavy '08 3400RL, as we are full timers.
The trailer is around 13k, no water in the tanks. Pin weight is right around 2k.
We use the hitch cover all the time, have never had a problem. I grease the nipples per the manual, I think its every 5k miles, and grease the pin that holds the head to the hitch body every spring.
Its not a cheap hitch, but it 'just works'; we never think twice or worry once the hitch clunks home.
-Steve
Old 02-02-2018, 05:19 AM   #71
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Baldicon
Hensley resells an Air-Lift kit,
Its on the Trailersaver web site -
http://www.trailersaver.com/parts-and-accessories/

We tow a heavy '08 3400RL, as we are full timers.
The trailer is around 13k, no water in the tanks. Pin weight is right around 2k.
We use the hitch cover all the time, have never had a problem. I grease the nipples per the manual, I think its every 5k miles, and grease the pin that holds the head to the hitch body every spring.
Its not a cheap hitch, but it 'just works'; we never think twice or worry once the hitch clunks home.
-Steve
What benefit does the air pump provide compared to airing it up at the start of the trip? Do you adjust it for road conditions, or weather, or just fine tune the ride?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2018, 05:57 AM   #72
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
16,820#! You must have a *Ton* of tools in that rig. I'm slowly upping my pin from 3,050# - adding 10 gallons of diesel and a couple of grill LP bottles. Our rig weighed 15,100 at weigh in but then again, Joy only carried two boxes of Christmas decorations.

I tried to send you a private message but not sure it made it through.
PM did not come through. No, not a LOT of tools but some. 1 Medium size 8 drawer box only. Of course we are full timers and chose to not go the storage route but to get what we need again when we come off the road (if that ever happens).

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:52 AM   #73
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
PM did not come through. No, not a LOT of tools but some. 1 Medium size 8 drawer box only. Of course we are full timers and chose to not go the storage route but to get what we need again when we come off the road (if that ever happens).
Have you ever camped at Chester Frost? Did you buy your new Montana from Northgate RV?
Old 02-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #74
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
What benefit does the air pump provide compared to airing it up at the start of the trip? Do you adjust it for road conditions, or weather, or just fine tune the ride?

Thanks
Have you ever actually weighed your 3400. We had 3400 and the pin weight was way more than 2K loaded and ready to tow .the weight of the 3400 loaded for towing was a bit over 15K It was weighed at the fall rally.

We did NOT get the air pump. With a bit of trial and error we have the PSI on the BD 3 set at 55lbs we check the psi on a regular basis and it rarely needs adjusted . The air pump is a convenience. We are longtimers and the weight of the Rv/truck once loaded for towing does not change by much.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:45 AM   #75
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886

Its just about convenience. Hensley says to deflate the hitch bladders when un hooking. So you hook up then air up. We have never changed the pressure while underway.
-Steve
Old 02-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #76
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:

Its just about convenience. Hensley says to deflate the hitch bladders when un hooking. So you hook up then air up. We have never changed the pressure while underway.
-Steve
Ok. I carry and air compressor so I could just use that, but I'm sure the on-board would be more convenient. Can you add additional air to raise the hitch to give you extra clearance between the trailer and the bed rails when backing into a camp spot? I don't have a feel for how much it will raise or lower the trailer.

As always, thanks for your input.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #77
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Have you ever camped at Chester Frost? Did you buy your new Montana from Northgate RV?
Yes, we have been at CFP since 12/11/17 this time and have camped here HUNDREDS of times. The latest Montana did come from Billy at Northgate in Ringgold as well as the 2008 3400RL and the 2012 3585SA we had before this one. A great place to do business. They have always treated us every way but wrong. We are staying close to Chattanooga right now helping with grands while our son finishes his last year at UTC.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #78
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
The min operating height is 1", and there is a sight line on the hitch body that you can view to be sure you are above that when aired up. We have never needed to add bed rail clearance when getting into a site. I suppose you could air to increase the clearance; its just never been necessary in our case.

The in cab air compressor controls are just easier. There is a valve on the hitch. So think about the process for a minute. You have hitched up, now you need to crawl into the truck bed, around the nose of the trailer, either with your air hose or the compressor itself, reach around/under to the valve and inflate the bladders on the hitch. And watch the pressure gauge, and watch for the white sight line which is on the left rear of the hitch. And its raining. And its 6 am and still dark out. And then you have to get out of the bed, and put the compressor away. Or you hitch up, open the drivers door, push a button, and watch an air gauge till you see 55 lbs, or whatever, then you walk back to the hitch and check the sight line. Easy peasy.

If no on board controls, you will also have to crawl back into the bed to deflate when you want to un-hitch. I suppose you could rig up an extension, say to back bumper, just like we used to do 'back in day' for air shocks.

I checked the manual, the zerks are to be greased every 4k, but I have been doing every 5k for at least the last 5 yrs. I forgot the other lube job is every once in while, maybe two or three time a yr WD-40 the jaw hinge pins, the hitch head hinge pins, and the spring under the hitch head.

-Steve
Old 02-02-2018, 04:59 PM   #79
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Yes, we have been at CFP since 12/11/17 this time and have camped here HUNDREDS of times. The latest Montana did come from Billy at Northgate in Ringgold as well as the 2008 3400RL and the 2012 3585SA we had before this one. A great place to do business. They have always treated us every way but wrong. We are staying close to Chattanooga right now helping with grands while our son finishes his last year at UTC.
We live in Hixson too, and have bought 2 trailers from Billy and plan on buying a 3121RL from him in a couple of months. We have reservations at CF in March and camp out there most of the summer. We may take a spin through there tomorrow afternoon (need to get the diesel out and drive it), and if we see you out will stop and say hello. I'm giving you advance warning so you can close the blinds and turn out the lights if you see up coming!
Old 02-02-2018, 05:03 PM   #80
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
The min operating height is 1", and there is a sight line on the hitch body that you can view to be sure you are above that when aired up. We have never needed to add bed rail clearance when getting into a site. I suppose you could air to increase the clearance; its just never been necessary in our case.

The in cab air compressor controls are just easier. There is a valve on the hitch. So think about the process for a minute. You have hitched up, now you need to crawl into the truck bed, around the nose of the trailer, either with your air hose or the compressor itself, reach around/under to the valve and inflate the bladders on the hitch. And watch the pressure gauge, and watch for the white sight line which is on the left rear of the hitch. And its raining. And its 6 am and still dark out. And then you have to get out of the bed, and put the compressor away. Or you hitch up, open the drivers door, push a button, and watch an air gauge till you see 55 lbs, or whatever, then you walk back to the hitch and check the sight line. Easy peasy.

If no on board controls, you will also have to crawl back into the bed to deflate when you want to un-hitch. I suppose you could rig up an extension, say to back bumper, just like we used to do 'back in day' for air shocks.

I checked the manual, the zerks are to be greased every 4k, but I have been doing every 5k for at least the last 5 yrs. I forgot the other lube job is every once in while, maybe two or three time a yr WD-40 the jaw hinge pins, the hitch head hinge pins, and the spring under the hitch head.

-Steve

Thanks Steve, I see your point now. I guess I'll either add the on-board compressor, or teach the wife how to crawl in the truck bed to air it up! And yes, I do remember running the air shock air lines to the back bumper.