View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 11:27 AM   #5
Gertrude
Established Member

M.O.C. #27376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I assume you were doing this without shore power.

You are at the time period when Montana added a battery disconnect switch in the convenience center. It is a big red key. The labeling sucks. If you can remove the key, the battery is disconnected. There is no reason to do this. Turn the key such that it can't be removed and leave it there. There is no disconnect in the battery compartment (unless a previous owner added it). And the Red Key disconnect doesn't disconnect power 12V power to everything.

The battery serves all the 12V components even when there is no shore power. That includes lights, slides, jacks, furnace, refer, water heater, etc.

There are two 12V self-resetting circuit breakers on the wall behind the battery. They have red plastic covers. Here is a pretty inclusive Thread with everything you ever want to know about theses CBs. https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78438

You should check, with a VOM, that there is 12V on both sides of both CBs.

Anytime someone changes a battery I have to ask, "did you accidentally connect the battery backwards, even if for just a second?" In your case had someone previously done this? There are four 20 amp (maybe 30 amp?) reverse polarity fuses in the converter which protect it from this mistake. Check them to ensure they are OK. Theoretically the 12V system should work without the converter but it doesn't hurt to check.

And that paddle switch in the main control panel is the power to the 120V fan/light combo in the Living Room.

Once you check all these connections and you still have no 12V power, come on back and we can discuss the next steps.
Thank you very much for your reply. I will check the thread that you linked.
I did check the reverse polarity fuses, which did appear to be fine, but I will check them again tomorrow when I have the rig in front of me. (it's 20 miles away right now). I will also check the CB's for power at both sides.
Is there a reset button on the CB's themselves ?
I did feel around them yesterday, but I did not find/see/feel one.

My old Lance cabover DID have a similar CB, (unbeknownst to me, and under the sink), and I about went banana's trying to figure out why I had no power then too. LOL !
Then I just happened to find THAT CB, and it DID have a tiny rest button popped out the side of the CB. I pushed that button back in and all was well.

I did not find/see a "Red Key" type switch anywhere in the battery compartment, (but then again, I did not know to look for one).
I will look again tomorrow for such a switch. I believe I know what type of switch you are reffering to.
Similar to a battery power switch on most Boats, correct ?