PDA

View Full Version : RV sites????

Gubs
04-03-2022, 12:45 PM
What with the price of diesel fuel and all is anyone seeing a change in vacancy rates at the campgrounds? I thought maybe now that Covid is relaxing a bit combined with the price of fuel that we might get back to some sort of normal. I remember when you pulled into a campground and they said go pick our your site and let us know. Now it's like finding hens teeth to get a spot at any destination campground. I sure hope things get back to normal shortly. Speaking of fuel prices, I heard diesel fuel is nearing $7.00 a gallon in California and up the west coast, is this correct or just some hipe? Here in Arizona we are paying around $4.45 to $4.99 for diesel fuel which is high enough by any stretch of imagination!

BB_TX
04-03-2022, 12:57 PM
……. ………. I remember when you pulled into a campground and they said go pick our your site and let us know. Now it's like finding hens teeth to get a spot at any destination campground. ….
Ahh, yes. Those were the days. :ermm:

twindman
04-03-2022, 02:41 PM
I live in Mesa and almost all stations have diesel for $5.19. I was planning on going to CA thru San Bernardino so was checking prices on Gasbuddy. At the 5 mile marker into AZ, one station had diesel for$4.85 and another a little over $5. Over the border in Blythe - literally about 5 or 10 miles - and it was $6.15 or so. Somewhere around San B it was almost $ 6.80.
Good news for me is this summer I am heading to Montana, Co, and the midwest where it currently is under $5.

jimcol
04-03-2022, 03:03 PM
Just filled up in Kansas City, Mo. $4.39 down from a high of $4.95 three weeks ago.

RMcNeal
04-04-2022, 04:55 AM
It seemed like a year ago we could plan trips from one month to the next. Now, if we don't book a site at least 6 months in advance, we either can't get a site, or cannot get the site we would like. We have 2 trips to WV coming in April and June. I had to book those both last March. for the June trip, we booked the last 2 sites available more than a year in advance!
Hoping things would get better with Covid calming down now and diesel getting more and more expensive. We haven't seen a change yet, though.:confused:

DutchmenSport
04-04-2022, 08:05 AM
We were camped at an Indiana State Park, 2 weeks in March. Even though the weather still dipped down below freezing, it rained, snowed, and everything, we were very surprised at how many people were camping there. At times, it look like the campground was filled about 50%.

We stayed at Fox Fire KOA at Milton, West Virginia on Saturday, April 2 and that campground was packed solid. We'd made reservations a couple weeks ago.

We are now at Mayberry Campground at Mount Airy, North Carolina. On our trip from Indiana to here, we were surprised at how many RVers were on the road. Of course, they were going the opposite direction, South to North, and this is the beginning of Spring Break season too. Maybe a number of these were the Southern snow birds heading back North for the Summer. Still, it was overwhelming the numbers on the road.

Mayberry Campground is a huge campground. Just sense yesterday we've taken several walks around the campground and I'm really in awe again at how full this one is too. This is only April 4, and a Monday, at it looks like it's maybe, 75% filled. There are some sections in the campground layout for pull through's. I've figured it out these are probably designated for the over nighters. There were several in this section when we got out of bed, they are mostly gone now. So, it looks like they keep this section for short term, transient, overnights. Still, it's amazing how full this campground is too.

Fuel prices (diesel) at Flying J's along the interstates, consistently were $5.45 if you were not a trucker. Off the interstates, it could be found for $4.99 or a bit less. At 9.5 mpg towing our fifth wheel, this IS an expensive trip. And we're just starting.

We'll be at Mayberry for a week, then 2 weeks South of Charlotte, N.C.

Bad Moon
04-04-2022, 08:56 AM
Well, the crowded campground situation isn’t likely to improve. Hundreds of YouTube channels dedicated to extolling the virtues of the nomadic lifestyle, boomers retiring at a rate of 1000’s per day, and Millineals discovering they can “work” remotely. Add to this the fact that very few new parks are being built due to the inflated cost of real estate, and the prospects look poor indeed. And don’t forget, in 2021 alone we have opened the door to 3 million new “Americans”, with more on the way.

432bartman
04-04-2022, 12:03 PM
Yes, you're correct.........gas in my state (California) is horrible. Diesel in LA County is around $6.75 a gallon. I try and use our Vons/Albertsons rewards points, which allow up to $1.00 off per gallon for a total of 25 gallons......not enough to fill an empty tank, but it helps.

Reichster
04-04-2022, 04:20 PM
Last week in Crescent City, CA (The Giant Redwoods Country) diesel was between $7.15 and $7.25 a gallon. This week the lower price station has it down to $6.97 a gallon. We're also finding numerous things happening with campground availability. The last couple of camping trips we've noticed that the park isn't completely full with empty spaces but there are reserved signs on the campsites. I asked the host about it and they said that a lot are reserving their spot 6 months to a year in advance, paid for, and don't show. He stated legally they can't re-rent the spot so it sits vacant. The other thing we've noticed is campgrounds have raised their prices and cut back on services. This month we're off to McCloud RV park and they have eliminated WIFI in the park and cable. When I emailed the owner they stated that it seems to them most people have Hot Spot on their phones so they don't plan on furnishing it in the future. He suggested if I don't have Hot Spot then to register with Starlink to the tune of $99 a month.

DutchmenSport
04-05-2022, 07:18 AM
Second day at Mayberry (Mount Airy), NC. Yesterday by noon, the drive-through campsites abandoned, and by night fall, they were all filled up again. Walked around this morning and couldn't find any drive-through unoccupied. And today is only April 5 and this is Tuesday! FYI, did more walking around yesterday, and this is one huge campground! And I think Class A motor homes far out number fifth wheels and travel trailers combined camped here right now. We are completely surrounded by Class A. Kind of makes me feel a little squirmish, kind of like that time in 1971 when I pup-tented from the back of my motorcycle at a KOA traveling from Indiana to Texas and I had a campsite between a motor home and a fifth wheel. And there I was with my 2 man pup tent and a sleeping bag on the ground and a motorcycle eating cold pork-n-beans straight from the can.

wed
04-05-2022, 02:00 PM
It’s all over I paid 4.75 a gal in Georgia today

Lee-CI
04-05-2022, 07:42 PM
Second day at Mayberry (Mount Airy), NC. Yesterday by noon, the drive-through campsites abandoned, and by night fall, they were all filled up again. Walked around this morning and couldn't find any drive-through unoccupied. And today is only April 5 and this is Tuesday! FYI, did more walking around yesterday, and this is one huge campground! And I think Class A motor homes far out number fifth wheels and travel trailers combined camped here right now. We are completely surrounded by Class A. Kind of makes me feel a little squirmish, kind of like that time in 1971 when I pup-tented from the back of my motorcycle at a KOA traveling from Indiana to Texas and I had a campsite between a motor home and a fifth wheel. And there I was with my 2 man pup tent and a sleeping bag on the ground and a motorcycle eating cold pork-n-beans straight from the can.

When hauling transport loads of diesel fuel to inland drilling rigs back in my youth, many was the time I warmed up a can of beans, soup or sausages on the exhaust manifold while offloading. Sure hoping don't have to go back to that! LOL With the price of fuel now days, the drivers are hauling liquid gold....

padredw
04-06-2022, 07:33 AM
many was the time I warmed up a can of beans, soup or sausages on the exhaust manifold

One of my great memories of all times is when we were on a tent camping trip from East Texas to California. I don't know the exact spot but it was on the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada along a little creek where we stopped to take a can of Salisbury steaks off the manifold of our little Pontiac Tempest where I had wired it some time before.

That would have been in 1963, almost 60 years ago. We camped for almost a week at Emerald Bay State Park on the shore of Lake Tahoe. Our daughter was 8 months old and we were camping in a tent. Those were the days:socool:

dieselguy
04-06-2022, 08:31 AM
Reply 11 by wed mentioned it was all over. It's far from over in my neck of the woods. In January, just 2.5 short months ago before the Ukraine deal cut loose, our diesel was $3.59 a gallon, it's still $4.69 today down from a high of $4.99 a gallon. I will say Rotella and Motorcraft diesel oil is slowly coming back in stock locally. As for beans ... beans the musical fruit, The more you eat, the more ........ :whistling:

RMcNeal
04-07-2022, 04:11 AM
Hey, dieselguy. I thought he meant it was happening all over the country? Maybe I took it wrong.

dieselguy
04-07-2022, 06:55 AM
Bye Ned, I think you're right ...

phillyg
04-07-2022, 07:44 AM
Nearly every site is occupied near me. I thought most of the snowbirds left around March 31st, but not this year.

RMcNeal
04-07-2022, 08:06 AM
Phil saw his shadow this year. Longer winter.

phillyg
04-07-2022, 08:34 AM
I met Phil's wife in Florida. She says he's a compulsive liar.

mlh
04-07-2022, 09:26 AM
These stories reminded me of the time my brother and I were Turkey hunting in Va. We were 5 miles from the nearest house and it was 5 miles over Rough Mountain, did you get Rough? We were in his popup. Our battery was almost dead the truck wouldn’t start. What to do, nobody ever came up there. My brother got the bright idea to take one spark plug out and the truck started right up. We let it run for a half hour put the plug back in and went home.
Lynwood

mhs4771
04-07-2022, 09:31 AM
Within the next couple of weeks approx 80 percent of the sites here will be empty, but then again this is a Snow Bird Park and very few short term rentals.

Lee-CI
04-07-2022, 04:30 PM
Okay - now I guess I'll tell off on myself.
Removing one spark plug was a great idea - much like the pitcocks on the twin cylinder John Deere tractors. You see, they were hand cranked via the flywheel. Get a good hold on the flywheel and give it your all several times until the engine spit, coughed and then halfway started. Then close both pitcocks and throttle up. Don't really miss those days since I was about 50 lbs soaking wet at the time....

Edit: Didn't meant to hijack the post. The COE campgrounds we have been frequenting have been anything but crowded. There were a couple of outings where there were only two or three other campers in the campground. With that said, we picked up our HC last December and go out for a week and a half to two weeks while we can and it was Winter at the time. We've booked our outings through August or October of this year - again primarily COE campgrounds. We've had to be selective about locations and sites that are large and level enough, but a couple days of research has us reserved into the Fall. Every since early last year in a SOB, we've enjoyed the relative quietness and lack of crowds at the COEs that we've been to. Hoping everyone has a great season ahead this year.

E Rod
04-10-2022, 02:09 PM
RV Parks are increasing they’re nightly rates as well. I had made reservations last year for this summer. Had to make a slight change. Didn’t noticed at time until I printed my new reservation. Went up from $46 a night to $54. Wow. …

c2itcliff
04-11-2022, 03:39 PM
UK diesel is £1.93/liter, equivalent to $9.49/gal!

Gunny B
04-12-2022, 06:37 PM
We tried lighting a cig off one of my headers on a trip back to 29 palms back in the late 70's. Didnt work, but ill sure try a can of beanies and weenies on my next trip out west.

Foldbak
04-12-2022, 06:47 PM
California is getting awful! You have to book 60 - 120 - 365 days in advance! Most RV camping has become a timeshare! 7K to get on the short list! Even in my own backyard. It's so disheartening with the price of fuel. I'll be camping out in my driveway! :nonono:

vacationer
04-13-2022, 08:06 AM
All in there big plan. Here in canada we are going green cars and trucks so fast

Foldbak
04-13-2022, 08:27 AM
All in there big plan. Here in canada we are going green cars and trucks so fast

I don't see an electric truck pulling a 5er to a doondock camp in my lifetime. :lol:

mhs4771
04-13-2022, 08:31 AM
How long before CGs start charging a surcharge to recharge you EV while you're there?

DutchmenSport
04-13-2022, 09:14 AM
OK, we are now at Cane Creek Campground (Union County park) in North Carolina, South of Charlotte. We are within a few miles of the South Carolina border.

Noticed diesel prices are higher in SC. Saw one a couple days ago that was still 5.25 (Fort Mill, SC), and then in NC near Charlotte (off the interstate) 4.55.

We arrived last Sunday to this campground and it appears to be about 85% full. They do have a few seasonal sites and they are all filled. But the remainder of the park seems to be about that 85% full right now. I imagine when the week-end rolls around it will be 100% occupied, especially when walking around and they've already marked the sites with reserved stickers for this week-end.

Just an FYI, we made our reservations for this campground about 6 months ago, and I remember the site we actually wanted was not available. We settled for a different one. (we were camped here 2 years ago in April, so we were familiar with the sites).