PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Rig for a short time

KemoLondon
09-22-2019, 07:11 AM
Hey all, we're taking our rig to Florida at beginning of Nov and then leaving it there at our rv resort while we come home for the holidays and back down at New Years. Would like to get recommendations about leaving it powered up and fridge on or disconnect and empty while we're gone.

DQDick
09-22-2019, 08:49 AM
We do that from our NM home base every winter and leave ours powered on, of course we have to worry about freezing from time to time.

waynemoore
09-22-2019, 09:36 AM
We leave ours or several weeks at a time. Power on and refer on with food in it. Never a problem. Of course water off.

jcurtis934
09-22-2019, 10:23 AM
Many in Riverside outside port charlotte fl do that travel thing every winter. They are slides out, ac on, fridge on, life is normal. I would also turn water off and imagine many do.

1retired06
09-22-2019, 03:44 PM
We do the same schedule. Power off. Slides closed. Water off.

mhs4771
09-22-2019, 05:28 PM
We just make sure we're in Florida by mid October, of course we have no one up North to spend the Holidays with so we spend it with Friends in our Winter Park.

beeje
10-03-2019, 07:07 PM
I would have no issue leaving it hooked up to shore power to keep the battery charged. If you have a residential fridge, I would leave it on. If a typical RV fridge, I would empty it, leave the doors open and turn it off. Why too many things to go wrong with them. Water off, slides in

footz1941
10-04-2019, 01:01 PM
Water and water heater off Power and refer on. Slides out. Furnace off because we are where it will not freeze

DebNJim B
10-06-2019, 06:43 AM
Had frost yesterday morning, time to head out.
Leaving Tues for Charleston to visit grandchild for a bit, than head to GA to our winter base.
We come back North for the Holidays cause the kids all come home for Christmas so they can see snow.
We leave slides out and residential fridge on. Blow out water lines and turn water off and furnace on with temp down to 50 just in case it drops below freezing. We have a 100lb propane tank which usually makes it till we return and our Son in law watches over things.
Come New Years Day and we're back down till spring.

barryn
10-09-2019, 03:31 PM
We leave 50 amp power on , water off, frig off, Ac on around 80 to remove any dampness with two damp rids out. And sense we are in FL and we travel back to KY by car, I have added one more thing to the list and that is I fill all tanks with water. Fresh, black and gray. Water is heavy and FL winds blow hard. I do have Insurance and Gap, but I just don't want the hassle. And slide outs out, with king pin tripod. We to have a 2015 Montana 3720 RL Legacy Edition

davemitchell59
10-10-2019, 08:06 AM
Lots of opinions ...

I'll offer mine ... Question ... Do you empty and turn off your refrigerator when you leave your house for a few weeks? I'm guessing not.

So ... Power on. Refrigerator on. Water off. Heat/AC depends on forecast. If you're far enough south to be out of a freeze threat, I'd turn it all off. Slides ... Up to you.

jcurryii
10-10-2019, 09:13 AM
We leave our refrigerator on, AC set to 85, slides in, from June to September at our Florida resort. Doesn’t cost that much and don’t have to worry about moisture build up. Do recommend freezing a cup of water and placing a coin on top so you will know if electricity has been off long enough to damage frozen foods.

barryn
10-10-2019, 10:40 AM
That is one thing I forgot watch is a Great Idea and the coin on top of frozen ice. And to let you know that you have more seals sealing the slide out when it is open than you do when it is closed.

timandsusan
11-12-2019, 06:32 AM
When we leave our Monty during the summer season--not worried about freezing BUT I disconnect and store the water hose. Never know when "somehow" the water got turned ON. Also remove and store my Sat system--antenna and cable. Bikes are padlocked with steel cable to the front landing legs. And last, tell the RV Park that you will be gone. Other ideas area great on refrig and ac.