PDA

View Full Version : Residency

elprofesor86
03-17-2019, 01:03 PM
As future retired long timers, 10-11 months on the road, we are looking to establishing residency in South Dakota because of all of the tax benefits etc. We own a home in California that we would use as our home base for the 1-2 months of the year we stay there. Do we have to sell our home in California to do this or is anyone else doing this? Basically, is it possible to establish full time residency in SD while owning a home in CA for part time residency?
Thank you in advance.

1retired06
03-17-2019, 02:22 PM
Yes it is.

elprofesor86
03-17-2019, 08:48 PM
Please move this thread to "Longtimers"
Thank you

Carl n Susan
03-17-2019, 08:58 PM
Please move this thread to "Longtimers"
Thank you
Done as requested.

GreG L.
07-05-2020, 01:39 PM
We are Florida residents with a house in CA. We stay in CA for less than 6 months each year (not a resident), travel about the west from there, no issues. We even have a care and bike registered and insured in CA with no issues.

richfaa
07-05-2020, 02:11 PM
First do some homework on the difference between Domicile and Residence then determine were you want your Domicile to be and were you want your residence to be. You can be a resident in more than one State but normally Domicile in only one.

It sounds like you already have a Domicile in CA. We have our Domicile in Ohio but own a residence in Florida. Read up on it and make sure you meet all the requirements. You will still pay all CA taxes on your CA property.

McRod
07-29-2020, 01:53 PM
As future retired long timers, 10-11 months on the road, we are looking to establishing residency in South Dakota because of all of the tax benefits etc. We own a home in California that we would use as our home base for the 1-2 months of the year we stay there. Do we have to sell our home in California to do this or is anyone else doing this? Basically, is it possible to establish full time residency in SD while owning a home in CA for part time residency?
Thank you in advance.

Yes, it's possible. You can own 50 homes, one in every state, but you can only select one state as your domicile. Generally, it's the state you spend the most time in...

I'd say this year is a Mulligan due to COVID19. My residency/domicile is Texas, but I have spent most of the year in AZ. If I were to go by the letter of the law, well, let's say it's debatable if I am breaking it. States want your tax dollars, that's why they have "laws" that require you to establish domicile in their state after being in the state after a specific time, or accepting employment, etc...the step after establishing domicile is licensing and registering vehicles, thus beginning of taxation.

McRod
07-29-2020, 02:04 PM
We are Florida residents with a house in CA. We stay in CA for less than 6 months each year (not a resident), travel about the west from there, no issues. We even have a care and bike registered and insured in CA with no issues.

Why would you register vehicles in a state your not a resident? Just guessing, tax and insurance in CA is higher than FL.

GreG L.
08-04-2020, 12:45 PM
Why would you register vehicles in a state your not a resident? Just guessing, tax and insurance in CA is higher than FL.

They were bought there and as it turns out it's less expensive then FL to insure, the DMV even has our FL address as the mailing address. The truck other car and other bikes are registered in FL.

McRod
08-04-2020, 03:15 PM
They were bought there and as it turns out it's less expensive then FL to insure, the DMV even has our FL address as the mailing address. The truck other car and other bikes are registered in FL.

Did you do the homework on that, or is that what the dealer who sold them to you said? I bought two vehicles in states I am not a resident in and the dealer wanted more than I was willing to pay to register them in my resident home state.

Ram Montana High Country
08-04-2020, 03:52 PM
How would an Escapee situation be for this situation? This would have the mail function.

GreG L.
08-04-2020, 04:44 PM
Did you do the homework on that, or is that what the dealer who sold them to you said? I bought two vehicles in states I am not a resident in and the dealer wanted more than I was willing to pay to register them in my resident home state.

To register a car in FL you have to present the car at the DMV.

McRod
08-04-2020, 05:19 PM
How would an Escapee situation be for this situation? This would have the mail function.

It's the same. Your escapees mail address can be used as your permanent residence address. That's how mine is done, for the escapees location in Texas.