PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 mile mile from home

Slufoot733
10-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Just returned from a short camping trip in our 2018 Monty with G rated Rainier tires. As I backed into my driveway I could hear air hissing from the drivers side on the wagon. Inspection found a screw buried deep in the inner most tread on the left rear tire. 110 psi sure makes for a loud hiss!

Called a mobile tire service and they suggested either replace the tire or use it as the spare and place the spare in service, which I chose to do. The tire guy said that on high pressure tires like these the patch has sometimes been blown right through the hole so I should be cautious when using the repared tire. The repair appeared to be a good job so I feel I will be OK.

Has anyone ever had a problem with a repaired G rated tire?

BTW, I know exactly where I picked up the screw. I have a dashcam in the rear window of the trailer. Watching the video I could clearly hear the rapid tapping sound as soon as I got the screw. 1/4 mile from my home! Sheesh! Better than out on the interstate 😎

Rondo
10-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Kevin, if it were me, I'd be taking the Rainiers off and putting on a better G rated tire. Is your unit a High Country? The units are coming out with Sailun G637's now and prior to that the Goodyear G614 tires were an option. Are you sure you have a G rated Rainier on your unit? They, Keystone, was putting Rainiers on their units prior to this but they were E rated tires. I would not pull my Monte off the dealer lot unless he put Goodyear G 614's on the rig. It cost me a little more but I knew I would be safe going down the roads with them rather than the OEMs that were on the unit from the factory.

mazboy
10-03-2018, 05:33 PM
i was curious so.... rainer tire website doesn't show any 'G' tires.
http://www.tredittire.com/tires/rainier

upgrade to G614s or Saliun tires to be safe...er.

Slufoot733
10-03-2018, 05:37 PM
Hi Rondo,
Yes, they definately are G rated, 110 psi tires. Online research has relatively good reports on them. They do roll better that my old trailer with E tires. I know the Sailun and Goodyear tires are supposed to be better but I'm just not ready to pop for four new Gs when these have less than 2k miles o them.

Slufoot733
10-03-2018, 05:59 PM
Just checked. Rainier model GL285T, size ST285/80R16, LR:G, max tire pressure 110psi.

cpaulsen
10-03-2018, 06:04 PM
Have Rainer on my 2018 HC load range F@95 psi

mhs4771
10-03-2018, 06:17 PM
All I know is our Traveling Friends when thru all 5 Rainer E Tires on our Canadian Maritime trip, they had to buy new tires before heading home.

Slufoot733
10-04-2018, 06:48 PM
Here is the exact Rainier tire I have:

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/Rainier-GL285T-ST235/80R16-LRG-All-Steel-Radial-Trailer-Tire

AZ Traveler
10-04-2018, 07:12 PM
Slufoot,

I have replaced one of my Sailuns after picking up a nail. The nail was too close to the sidewall to repair so I can't answer your question on a repaired G rated tire.

I would not be scared to get your tire repaired if the repair shop will do it.

Agree with your plan to not run out and buy a full set of Goodyear or Sailun over replacing one tire. If I was buying a new set, I would not jump at the new unproven Rainier Gs but I would keep them unless it became clear they had a high failure rate. No reason to believe these new G rated tires will not do the job.

BuilderBob
10-04-2018, 10:01 PM
I didn't Rainier came out with a G rated tire hope it's better then the E junk they maid. I put Sailuns on before it left the lot!

AZ Traveler
10-04-2018, 10:06 PM
I didn't Rainier came out with a G rated tire hope it's better then the E junk they maid. I put Sailuns on before it left the lot!

Keystone listened and all the 18 and later Montanas come with G rated tires - not sure about the HCs. The 19s mid year with the Legacy package now come with disk brakes. It gets better all the time.

Phil P
10-05-2018, 04:00 AM
Hi

We have repaired G, H and heaver tires commonly called Lowboy tire some carrying pressures as high as 200 PSI.

If properly repaired by a Fleet Tire dealer we don’t have problems with them.

I suspect the service truck you had come out was not carrying the repair items needed to repair a true heavy duty tire.

Phil P

WeBeFulltime
10-05-2018, 06:24 AM
Here is the exact Rainier tire I have:

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/Rainier-GL285T-ST235/80R16-LRG-All-Steel-Radial-Trailer-Tire

Not trying to start a disagreement and I am in agreement with your line of thinking on this, BUT when I looked at the picture of the linked tire it looks like the sidewall shows the name of "SAMSON" instead of RAINIER.

Ram Montana High Country
10-05-2018, 08:11 AM
did anyone see the "85" series tire om the link?

jeffba
10-07-2018, 09:59 AM
Nice to see they have upgraded HC to G rated tires. For a while they were putting Es on them.

Snoopy
10-10-2018, 01:31 PM
our 2018.5 HC 331 came with F rated tires -Rainers. Changed to Sailun's at discount tire for a very reasonable price.
Snoopy

Wher2nxt
10-10-2018, 01:42 PM
I will stay with Rainiers until I hear actual users having bad experiences. Our MHC came with Rainier ST235/80R16....12 ply, Load Rating F @ 95psi and rated for 75MPH. I stay at 60-64mph. I had 2 sets of Trailer Kings over 8 years on an Outback...I didn't know that they were "China bombs" at that time. Never had a problem.

Keep the pressure checked and drive sensibly. I think they're a good tire...so far. (Rainier)

I would not trust a repair on any tire at the pressures of a trailer tire.

Golfmedik
10-12-2018, 09:02 AM
In my opinion, which means very little to some:D, any G rated tire is better than an E rated one. That being said, Rainier tires just do not have the track record of the Sailuns or the GY. Now, there is a new tire called Hercules that is a G rated tire and it is made by Cooper right here in the Findlay, OH. Maybe in time, we may have yet another viable option.
https://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/731539/hercules-adds-trailer-tire-to-strong-guard-family?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

bad99ram
10-12-2018, 09:42 AM
Have you given any thought about switching out your spare. And using the repaired tire for the spare?

vacationer
10-16-2018, 05:44 AM
Have Rainer on my 2018 HC load range F@95 psi

same here on my 19 hc