PDA

View Full Version : Satellite theft of dish/direct TV antennaes?

twindman
11-06-2016, 07:08 AM
I am thinking about getting dish or direct tv and wondered about theft. Since they are worth hundreds of dollars and are just sitting around outside, are there issues with theft?
Also, any comments on which is better? I know one will let you suspend it when not using it, but any other issues?
Thanks.

1retired06
11-06-2016, 07:30 AM
Never had any problems with any thefts in campgrounds other than bikes disappearing. Have been using a tripod for 15 years. For the pricier ones, folks either mount at the top of their rear ladder or set on the roof.

richfaa
11-06-2016, 08:39 AM
Never a problem with theft of anything in over 25 years of Rv'ing. We always use ours so can't help with the other question.

dieselguy
11-06-2016, 08:39 AM
Dish on tripod .... You don't hear much about stealing the dish on a tripod as the dish/lnb(s)itself isn't very pricey and useless without the receiver. A bit longer setup time .. storage space needed.

Automatic domes .... more pricey, but quicker setup. You can get alarms that sound if the coax is disconnected or as said ... mount it high up.
We use the tripod with a 50' roll of coax as we camp alot at lakes. There is near always a tree in the way if we had a roof mounted dome.

K0LCB
11-06-2016, 09:52 AM
Someone stole my Carryout from the back of my pickup at Toad Holler Campground in Grenada, MS

Carl n Susan
11-06-2016, 09:53 AM
I have used a tripod type portable antenna for 10 years without issue. That mirrors the experiences of almost everyone I know with that kind of setup. The one exception is a member here whose tripod mounted antenna was stolen while camped at the upscale RV park in Reno, NV. It had been painted with a southwest motif by the guys in Los Algadones Mexico and was really good looking which probably contributed to its departure.

The self aiming portables, like the Weingard, usually have a handle or other attachment point suitable for a cable lock or chain. That will protect against the opportunistic thieves. Alternatively, putting it on the roof or ladder also stops most quick grab types.

BB_TX
11-06-2016, 10:07 AM
I use a Tailgater auto antenna. Most of the time I use a dog tie out cable to it around a tree or strut with a lock. Never any sign any one has ever messed with it locked or not.

trustymopars
11-06-2016, 10:38 AM
We just got a dish tailgater and used it over Halloween week with no problems. There were several on the ground around the park. It worked great, and very easy to set up. To make a little more secure, I made a plate to adapt I to the tripod that my dish was on. Not theft proof, but a little harder to walk off with. I will probably set it on my roof when we are camp hosting next Spring. JT.

DQDick
11-06-2016, 10:52 AM
We use Dish, had too many issues with Direct at the stick house. Our Winegard portable had a place to lock it with a cable, since we went with a roof mounted Traveler I don't worry about that anymore.

waynemoore
11-06-2016, 11:00 AM
I have the roof mounted Traveler and have never had a problem. I had the G-2 on the ground with no lock or cable on it and never had a problem.
By the way I have the G-2 and two 211Z controllers in my garage for sale if anyone is interested. Whole system cost about $750.00 sell for $350.00 plus shipping. I am in Lake Havasu City Az.

mhs4771
11-06-2016, 12:20 PM
We had good friends who had their Carry-Out Portable stolen at a Samson State Park in Western New York. They have since replaced it, but now gets attached to the MH with a cable and lock.

Art-n-Marge
11-06-2016, 03:46 PM
I use a homemade low profile platform for my HD DIRECTV dish that I aim manually. I have gotten pretty good at aiming it and I think it's too ugly for anyone to want to steal.

The platform has three triangulated nuts and three long carriage bolts that I can screw in and out for leveling. I also have a black line that I use for aiming the platform north. Lastly, I put the dish onto a bolted on post that is part of the leveling process, aim the dish accordingly and voila, I'm done. Takes no more than about 10 minutes, depending on how much I have to tweak the elevation or direction. DW sits in the LR and radios me the numbers and I tweak it until I'm happy.

I think seeing this screwy manual setup is its own theft deterrent. I have only heard of the fancy equipment getting stolen out of the truck bed, but it's rare to hear of the theft after the equipment is set up even overnight. I hope it's because the thief thinks you might be watching TV and if they take it right then and there, it would draw a prompt response from the TV watcher and most thieves are cowards who don't want to be seen (or caught).

So whatever you get, especially if it's the nice automatic stuff, get cable locks and find way to make it difficult or time-consuming to steal.

bigskyjimmy
11-06-2016, 04:42 PM
We use the Dish Tailgater with the "pay as you go plan" for a mere 60 bucks a month for 4 years now and just put it on the ground with no Tripod or cable to lock it up and never had a problem or have I talked to anybody in the Campgrounds that have got one stolen,but we never stay in Sketchy Campgrounds where that might happen

tooth ferry
11-06-2016, 04:51 PM
We have King Flex Cube for Direct and just take one of our receivers from home with us. Usually lock it to tree or picnic table or trailer leg. Works fine.

timandsusan
11-07-2016, 01:40 AM
I have been asked by fellow RVers about securing my Wingard X2, I just set it up and watch television. But, I don't mind putting it in the basement if we will be away for more than a day. It is so easy to set up, this is an easy decision. Now for my bikes, I have a lot more $$ in bikes! Always secured with steel cable and lock to the front landing gear. Works for us.

jcurtis934
11-07-2016, 02:48 AM
If you want hd, you aren't getting it with direct tv unless you buy the pricey mount on the roof antenna. A huge consideration against direct for me. John

DarMar
11-07-2016, 06:27 AM
Always locked with a chain or cable just like our portable EMS.

cdaniels
11-07-2016, 03:21 PM
We had ours locked and chained and someone did try to lift it at a Good Sams rally a few years ago. Lucky that was unsuccessful. Next day we ordered the ladder mount. A few times was in trees.

MARK A
11-07-2016, 05:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

If you want hd, you aren't getting it with direct tv unless you buy the pricey mount on the roof antenna. A huge consideration against direct for me. John

Pretty sure my reception is HD. And I have a DISH Tailgater.

Mark

richfaa
11-08-2016, 01:56 AM
One of the primary reasons we got the portable dome was that we could move it so as not to be obstructed by trees.The ladder mount defeats that purpose.

bigskyjimmy
11-08-2016, 06:35 AM
Yep having it mobile has helped me Many times to find a spot to get to the Southern Sky even putting it on the Roof sometimes to clear a treequote:Originally posted by richfaa

One of the primary reasons we got the portable dome was that we could move it so as not to be obstructed by trees.The ladder mount defeats that purpose.

HOOK
11-10-2016, 01:01 AM
Lock cable should reduce your worries.

Jimmer
01-11-2017, 07:28 PM
I usually place my G2 Automatic Satellite on the kitchen slide. If we are going to be in one place for awhile I will run my long cable lock around the ladder just to be on the safe side. I carry a telescopic ladder that I purchased from Amazon for $80. Fits in the basement .

richfaa
01-12-2017, 02:03 PM
We used our Winegard G2 all over the country on our summer travel adventure in 2016 just set in on the ground or picnic table and had no problems.It I setting on the ground here in Florida for the winter.

Wheelhouse
03-19-2017, 04:10 PM
There is a product called TrackR, that can be appt to your phone. It is about the size of half dollar. Just put a dab of silicone and stick the TrackR to it. If it goes missing, just open your phone, locate where it is and go ask the guy for it back. They are about $27, but you can get multiples for cheaper. Wish I had it on my mountain bike before it went for a ride.

JandC
03-23-2017, 06:15 AM
We have always used the Trav'ler auto dish (DirecTV) on the roof. It is still the only mounted automatic one for DirecTV that will give you HD. Having a Dish account is a different story.

Since we have receivers at the house we never paid extra for anything in the RV. Just took one of the receivers with us. At first we would call DirecTV and have them change our service address while traveling so we could get local channels, but it was a PITA dealing with them so we just use our antenna for locals.

We are taking MH in next week for DirecTV Trav"ler roof mount install. CW had them on sale. They are a little pricey but what the heck. If we are willing to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a bus or a fancy trailer to travel in why not spend a few dollars for an automatic dish for HD?

richfaa
03-23-2017, 09:11 AM
We have always used the Trav'ler auto dish (DirecTV) on the roof. It is still the only mounted automatic one for DirecTV that will give you HD. Having a Dish account is a different story.

Since we have receivers at the house we never paid extra for anything in the RV. Just took one of the receivers with us. At first we would call DirecTV and have them change our service address while traveling so we could get local channels, but it was a PITA dealing with them so we just use our antenna for locals.

We are taking MH in next week for DirecTV Trav"ler roof mount install. CW had them on sale. They are a little pricey but what the heck. If we are willing to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a bus or a fancy trailer to travel in why not spend a few dollars for an automatic dish for HD?

we had considered that last summer but we are not going to be Rv'ing for that much longer and saw it in our case as a cost vs benefit issue. We went with a portable dish on sale at CW.It is easier than what like you we did before with a portable dish, tripod stand , etc. I should have done what you are doing when we purchased this big sky in 2012.

warsw
03-31-2017, 11:07 AM
Pretty sure my reception is HD. And I have a DISH Tailgater.

MarkWith the Dish Tailgater can I just take the hooper dish box I have in the house and put it in the trailer and attach the tailgater to it when we travel? Would I need anything else to make it work?

MARK A
03-31-2017, 11:15 AM
With the Dish Tailgater can I just take the hooper dish box I have in the house and put it in the trailer and attach the tailgater to it when we travel? Would I need anything else to make it work?

I don't know if the Tailgater will run your Hopper or not, I'm sure that DISH could tell you, or just try it and see.

Mark

dieselguy
05-01-2017, 11:02 AM
Here's a chart on what Dish receiver will work with what portable Satellite.
http://www.winegard.com/dishnetwork/dish-compatible-satellite-systems
I don't think a Tailgater will work with a Hopper. You'll need a 211Z or similar.

WeBeFulltime
05-01-2017, 04:58 PM
Hopper will NOT work with Tailgater. I have the Hopper3 and use a tripod mounted Dish 1000.2 dish with a Hybrid EA LNB. Easy and cheap.

warsw
05-01-2017, 06:44 PM
Hopper will NOT work with Tailgater. I have the Hopper3 and use a tripod mounted Dish 1000.2 dish with a Hybrid EA LNB. Easy and cheap.Thanks all. I ended up just using my dish antenna on a tripod for now. It will work until we get out next 5th wheel and get a permanently mounted antenna. I'm kind of thinking the Winegard Trav'ler will be the way to go.

waynemoore
05-05-2017, 02:56 PM
I have the Hopper and use the Traveler dish. The hopper will not work with the G-2.