PDA

View Full Version : Spare tires

hybridhauler
07-25-2016, 04:25 PM
I know many on here has upgraded to the Goodyear G614 tires on their rigs. I'm kinda curious how many has upgraded their spare to the G614 as well.
There is a little difference in the height between the G614 and Marathons and that may or may not be a concern. Personally, I find it hard to even trust one as a spare. Having two tires blow out within two miles of each other and then discovering the cords were separating in the other two tires just joint give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
Just curious what everyone was using for a spare

Drifty1
07-25-2016, 04:38 PM
I just replaced my 614s with a new set so I have installed the best tire that was taken off as a spare.

Dmcgrew
07-25-2016, 05:10 PM
Replaced all with 614's but left the original spare underneath, it was still new and never been used. I know this does not mean it is any good but also have Good Sam Roadside service!!

DQDick
07-25-2016, 06:00 PM
Have a 5 year old, totally unused 614 under there. Since we spend a lot of time out in the boonies, even though we have Couch-Net, I don't want to haul a possibly bad tire over 60 or more miles of gravel roads to get to a place where I can replace it. Actually, at both of our home bases it's still over 50 miles to the nearest place I can get a good tire for my weight although the roads would be better.

rohrmann
07-25-2016, 06:11 PM
We have a G614 as a spare. After all the Marathon failures, none that caused any damage, I didn't want any Chinabombs on the rig. Now, with the Sailuns and other G range tires out there, I might have gotten one of those instead, but at the time, $1900 for 5 tires seemed much better than all the damage and down time that could be expected from a blowout. The diameter difference doesn't apply with these axles, as there is no differential to worry about, like on a truck or car.

dieselguy
07-26-2016, 02:53 AM
I don't full or long time, so I look at your question a bit differently. My weight doesn't warrant G614's so I went with Michelin LT's but kept the originaal Marabomb spare. I look at it as just that ... a spare that won't be on the ground very long. I also look at it like many car manufactureres whose supplied spare is a little weenie tire just to get you to a place where real tires can be had. Although not fool proof, but I check my spare along with the rest of the tires at the same time.

mlh
07-26-2016, 04:28 AM
I use the OEM. If you need it chanches are you can get another tire in a few miles.
Lynwood

BB_TX
07-26-2016, 04:35 AM
Like dieselguy, my weight does not need G614s. So I also went with Michelin Ribs. And kept my original Mission as a spare for 6 years. Came across a slightly used Yokohama of the same size and rating and put it on the spare. But have never had a flat or even a low tire since bought new in 2007, so neither tire ever touched the ground. But also we are only occasional users and just see no need for a new spare. Just want something to get me to a tire store.

Beau2010
07-26-2016, 06:56 AM
Our original 4 Marathons went about 25,000 miles without a problem but were on their last legs when I put the Sailuns on. Still have a 3+ year old Marathon that's never been on the ground for a spare and will probably keep it. By the way, don't forget to check pressure in the spare when checking the rest.

bigskyjimmy
07-26-2016, 07:06 AM
Just have my original Trailer King as a spare as it is good enough to get me to the tire shop as Les Schwab tire here on the West Coast there is darn near one in every town AND I do not want that Way heavier G rated tire mounted underneath on the Spare carrier

Mudchief
07-26-2016, 08:40 AM
I have a spare G614. Due to the weight of my trailer I don't want to tow with a lesser tire. Plus trying to find a G614 while traveling could be a problem causing me to travel much longer on a lesser tire.

WaltBennett
07-27-2016, 01:35 AM
I got rid of the spare Marabomb when I got rid of the others, although I didn't go with G614s, I went with LTs. Since the spare is on a steel wheel and wouldn't be used for long no matter what, I went to a used tire shop and found an LT with a made on date stamp close to the new ones on the Monty. It'll be good to go if I ever need it.

Razrbk
07-27-2016, 04:01 AM
I replaced all Marathons with Sailuns.

rmthelen
07-27-2016, 04:08 PM
I switched to G614's and removed my spare from the unit. Less weight and should I EVER have a tire problem, the G614's are readily available nationwide.

hybridhauler
07-28-2016, 09:42 AM
I opted to purchase a new wheel to match the ones on the rv (Thanks Wally) and purchased a new G614 from Amazon. The tire was $289 with free shipping. That's cheaper than what I paid at Goodyear.
After having two blowouts and having to get road assistance, I can travel down the road feeling a lot better about things.

Anyone need a factory spare tire and wheel with 20 miles on it?