PDA

View Full Version : TIRES

glkids2
04-13-2016, 03:28 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Samson tires GL285T. thanks in advance

DQDick
04-13-2016, 03:36 PM
Lot of similar questions on other forums on the net. Not many answers. It seems few have had them on very long. They seem to have been in service on Motor homes longer and while the reviews seem to be good, the feds require much more reserve capacity on a motor home tire than on a trailer tire so they could be very different.

rames14
04-15-2016, 09:15 AM
The two tires everyone seems to have lots of faith in are the G614's and the Sailun. If I were new to fifth wheels, I would go with the tires with the most users saying good things. I have had my G614's from Florida to Alaska and Texas to Maine and most points between. In (4) years on G614's I have not had one tire issue. Before that I had Carlisle, Michelin and a Korean LT tire. 4th times a charm. On an earlier Montana, we had the US made Maratons and had no issue. Those were replaced with Firestone Transforce. It was about 2008 or so that tires became an issue.

glkids2
04-15-2016, 11:02 AM
On paper these samsons appear to be equal too the sailuns. Just the 300 per tire for the Goodyear is tuff to swallow. The difference 800/1500 is worth looking around

glkids2
04-16-2016, 08:27 AM
Well I tried to give the local tire shops my business but could not confirm tire quality/experience with the tires they suggested. So I am getting the sailuns S637 through simpletire.come at 125.99 plus shipping. Goodyear maybe a good tire but they are over priced when there's a proven competition available.jmho

pkbridges77
04-16-2016, 10:01 AM
I seriously doubt you will be disappointed with the Sailuns.

sambam
04-16-2016, 10:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by glkids2

...the 300 per tire for the Goodyear is tuff to swallow.

If you can find the G614 for $300 a tire, buy 'em!
Seriously though, the Sailuns are getting great reviews.

glkids2
04-19-2016, 03:22 PM
Order 5 sailuns s637's sat 4/16am from simpletire.com,standard shipping, received on Tuesday 4/19. Off to a good start!!

bigskyjimmy
04-19-2016, 08:04 PM
It's time for some of you hard core Goodyear G614's fans to admit there are great reliable choices for ALOT more reasonable price like Geostar G574's and Sailuns S637's and the Sampson GL285T ...etc.. that performed great for alot of us,me and my buddy love our Geostar's for 3 years now of fulltime traveling and no problems,I am not saying the Goodyears are not proven winners BUT just say'in

Dmcgrew
04-20-2016, 02:34 AM
I will consider looking at something other than the Goodyear G614 on my next purchase. However after you go through a blow-out with sub-standard tires and cause significant damage to the rear of the 5th you tend to go on the tried and true method!!

richfaa
04-20-2016, 04:10 AM
Yes there are other alternative and they should be considered. We went G614 because there are Goodyear dealers all over the country and they are plentiful same rational for using Wall mart for our prescription services.

rohrmann
04-20-2016, 10:28 AM
That's exactly why we went with Goodyear when we upgraded to 14 ply tires, Sailun tires were not easily available, and the Goodyear G614's were easy to get.

richfaa
04-20-2016, 01:28 PM
When purchasing a quality product there is much more to it than just how much it cost. We use wall mart for prescriptions because they are everywhere. CVS as backup FJ/Pilot is our primary fuel source and we have the RV plus card as they are everywhere. We got our hearing aids at Sams Club as they are all over the country .We use a national chain for our vision wear for the same reason.We are all over the country and we may need service most anywhere. We plan accordingly.

glkids2
04-20-2016, 01:58 PM
Those are all valid points about the G614 tires. Here comes the but... If I couldn't verify the claimed quality of the sailuns tires with personal experience or the G614 were priced at about 200 the outcome would have been different. But currently the price is too high when there are, through personal experience,equal quality tires available. JMHO

Dam Worker
04-20-2016, 02:42 PM
I went with the Sailun's even though there are more Goodyear dealers. I am expecting to hopefully not have any problems with the Sailun's. In researching the two brands I found out they both have loyal followers. I found one time where a Sailun failed but it was being used in a dually application and at the time the tire was not rated for dually use. As for the Goodyear I did find some blow out / failures. As far as I know Goodyear stood behind their product. I would just prefer to not have any issues with my tires as I already had that awful experience with my TV tire. That is why I am upgrading from the Trail Kings.

Tom Marty