PDA

View Full Version : Sailun 16" 637's

Dam Worker
09-05-2015, 12:09 PM
I am quite curious about these G rated 16" tires. I have heard lots of good about the GY G614's and also what great warrantee support they provide when they blowout. I still have not heard or read of a Sailun blowout so I am interested in their product. I have heard a lot of "waiting to see how they perform in the long run etc" but no real posts of them blowing out. Has anybody personally had a blowout or problem with them? Has anybody actually heard of a problem with them? Not trying to start a tire war, just trying to get good facts. I have Trailer Kings on my new 3160 RL LE and I am a bit nervous running them even though I am way under their rated capacity. I also am not happy with a 65 MPH. Speed Rating on them. It seems both Goodyear and Sailun have better speed ratings on their G series tires than the ST tires.
I was not quick enough when I ordered my unit to make them switch out the ST's to the higher quality G series.

I have read most of the other Sailun threads and will reread them. I still have not read anywhere about problems even on other sites on the web. I am only interested in Sailun problems and or blowouts.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Marty

rohrmann
09-05-2015, 04:54 PM
I personally think the two tires are comparable in all specs. The only reason I went with the Goodyear's was availability. If the Sailun's ever get where they are widely stocked, I would swap to them, as they are much cheaper, while just as heavy. Whichever tire you decide to get, do it soon, before you have regrets due to severe damage to your new rig from a tire failure.

Dam Worker
09-05-2015, 06:15 PM
Thanks Bob.

DQDick
09-06-2015, 01:06 AM
Was a thread on the Good Sam forum about a set where one came apart and the others deformed. The owner said they were over inflated by 10# by a service place and I believe he had them on his TV.

PSFORD99
09-06-2015, 06:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Was a thread on the Good Sam forum about a set where one came apart and the others deformed. The owner said they were over inflated by 10# by a service place and I believe he had them on his TV.

And it would be great to reference a link to that failure, yours is the first post that I have seen about a Sailun failure

PSFORD99
09-06-2015, 07:21 AM
quote:Originally posted by Dam Worker

I am quite curious about these G rated 16" tires. I have heard lots of good about the GY G614's and also what great warrantee support they provide when they blowout. I still have not heard or read of a Sailun blowout so I am interested in their product. I have heard a lot of "waiting to see how they perform in the long run etc" but no real posts of them blowing out. Has anybody personally had a blowout or problem with them? Has anybody actually heard of a problem with them? Not trying to start a tire war, just trying to get good facts. I have Trailer Kings on my new 3160 RL LE and I am a bit nervous running them even though I am way under their rated capacity. I also am not happy with a 65 MPH. Speed Rating on them. It seems both Goodyear and Sailun have better speed ratings on their G series tires than the ST tires.
I was not quick enough when I ordered my unit to make them switch out the ST's to the higher quality G series.

I have read most of the other Sailun threads and will reread them. I still have not read anywhere about problems even on other sites on the web. I am only interested in Sailun problems and or blowouts.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Marty

I have read ,and reread as many Sailun threads as I could find, and have found no negative reports or failures.

I am seeing reports back as far as 2012, and yet all seem positive . I would hope DQDick will come up with the actual thread that he claims he read about a Sailun failure.

I do have to say the Sailun S637 is for trailer use only , so its possible the failure mentioned by DQ was on a TV , quite possible a different Sailun tire then what we are discussing for our fifth wheels

vangoes
09-06-2015, 07:42 AM
The Sailuns have been around for more than a few years. A friend just replaced his Sailuns after six years with no incidence. He replaced them because of age, and he replaced them with new Sailuns. I also replaced my tires with Sailuns at about $200 per tire less that the GY's would have cost me. The only issue with the Sailuns in the past have been availability; however, my Goodyear tire dealer in small town Tennessee was able to get them in 24 hours. If the tires DQDick mentioned was on a TV then they are not the S637's. They are for trailers only.

PSFORD99
09-06-2015, 09:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by vangoes

The Sailuns have been around for more than a few years. A friend just replaced his Sailuns after six years with no incidence. He replaced them because of age, and he replaced them with new Sailuns. I also replaced my tires with Sailuns at about $200 per tire less that the GY's would have cost me. The only issue with the Sailuns in the past have been availability; however, my Goodyear tire dealer in small town Tennessee was able to get them in 24 hours. If the tires DQDick mentioned was on a TV then they are not the S637's. They are for trailers only.

Talked to a Big O dealer here in Utah, and they carry the Sailun S637 . So some of the assumptions we keep hearing are not holding up.

DQDick
09-06-2015, 12:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by PSFORD99

quote:Originally posted by DQDick

And it would be great to reference a link to that failure, yours is the first post that I have seen about a Sailun failure

Go halfway down the page: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=55910.0

mhs4771
09-06-2015, 01:15 PM
I take most that I read on RV Net with a Block of Salt. Lots of mis-information there.

Irlpguy
09-06-2015, 02:09 PM
The tire in the thread referenced by DQDick was on the TV and was on one of the dual wheels. We have no idea what tires these were, other than they were Sailun brand, however they could have been S637's.

If these tires had been more readily available in my area I would "not" have spent double the price on G614's. I do know how well the Goodyear G614 stands up and highly recommend them, however I do believe the S637 may be equally as good, it is a much cheaper, all steel, radial trailer tire. It is a "G" rated tire and the maximum speed rating is 75mph (if that is not fast enough to be pulling your 5er then I don't want to be on the same road with you all). Max inflation pressure "cold" is 110 psi. "cold" meaning the ambient air temp before the tire has been driven.

You can read what you want to read into some posts on this and other sites regarding tires however for the most part when we read of failures we normally are not given all the facts and "everyone" always has the pressures right and not overloaded....right....

Many of the lighter RV's out there have traveled thousands of miles on LT tires provided the units they are installed on do not exceed the rating of the tires, this has been referenced many times on this and other forums, for those with lighter units this is a great alternative to ST tires particularly if you have a heavy foot.

I am pretty sure if G614 or S637 were tires rated for only 65 mph and were put on trailers that stretched or exceeded their load capacity in the numbers the Marathons are used you would have significant numbers of reported failures, we should not forget that possibility.

Link to Sailun all position tire specs: http://www.sailuntires.ca/images2/637/637.pdf

Dam Worker
09-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Ed I think you are correct in comparing a product that is used in an extremely large amount of rigs verse a product that is better but not sold in near the numbers of the lighter lower rated tires. That would or could cause us to really only hear about the lower rated tires that are out there on almost all new TT fifth-wheels and cargo trailers.

Tom marty

PSFORD99
09-07-2015, 04:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

The tire in the thread referenced by DQDick was on the TV and was on one of the dual wheels. We have no idea what tires these were, other than they were Sailun brand, however they could have been S637's.

If these tires had been more readily available in my area I would "not" have spent double the price on G614's. I do know how well the Goodyear G614 stands up and highly recommend them, however I do believe the S637 may be equally as good, it is a much cheaper, all steel, radial trailer tire. It is a "G" rated tire and the maximum speed rating is 75mph (if that is not fast enough to be pulling your 5er then I don't want to be on the same road with you all). Max inflation pressure "cold" is 110 psi. "cold" meaning the ambient air temp before the tire has been driven.

You can read what you want to read into some posts on this and other sites regarding tires however for the most part when we read of failures we normally are not given all the facts and "everyone" always has the pressures right and not overloaded....right....

Many of the lighter RV's out there have traveled thousands of miles on LT tires provided the units they are installed on do not exceed the rating of the tires, this has been referenced many times on this and other forums, for those with lighter units this is a great alternative to ST tires particularly if you have a heavy foot.

I am pretty sure if G614 or S637 were tires rated for only 65 mph and were put on trailers that stretched or exceeded their load capacity in the numbers the Marathons are used you would have significant numbers of reported failures, we should not forget that possibility.

Link to Sailun all position tire specs: http://www.sailuntires.ca/images2/637/637.pdf

If the tire in question was S637 , it was being used in the wrong application, the S637 is for trailer use only.

Dam Worker
09-07-2015, 05:22 PM
PSFORD99, thanks for the link.

I will be looking into these S637 tires as I usually tow the speed limit or close to it, which is basically 55,60,65 or 70 where I live here in Eastern Washington. Higher in parts of Idaho and Montana, little bit lower in Oregon but that is supposed to be changing soon to 70 MPH in parts of Eastern Oregon. Towing with the Trailer King at 65/70 now makes me a little bit nervous. Having the speed rating at 75 MPH would just give me more peace of mind.

Tom Marty

NRA-Girl
09-10-2015, 09:01 AM
Those Sailun tires are 1/2 the price because the Chinese Govt manipulates their currency, pollutes their air and water, abuses their workers, and cheats on the import export stage. We can't compete against that.

Lets reward that behavior by buying them because they are cheap.

Heck - if we do it enough, soon me might be able to kill one of the last manufacturers we have in the US and say goodbye to more US manufacturing jobs.

Besides - the Chinese need more $$'s to continue their military buildup. So lets keep buying!!

Did you hear they were parading their Navy a few weeks ago just outside of our territorial limits off California?

Remember - the money you send them today will help to defeat us tomorrow.

Dam Worker
09-10-2015, 04:03 PM
Most of that sounds like how American CEO's and the companies they control treat the American worker. Maybe you should look and see how the US workers pay is not even close to keeping up with inflation and the typical worker is now making way less than what we did five, ten or twenty years ago. Very few American companies treat their workers as an asset anymore, usually they are now treated as a liability. Be careful where you buy your food, gas, household products, vehicles and RV's as I doubt that you will find much that does not have some parts imported from a foreign country. Look at the vehicles being assembled in Mexico or other countries. I am sure that Goodyear does not buy anything for their products from outside the good old USA. Heck I would be shocked if they would actually import tires and sell them under their Name. I sure hope the Goodyear Marathon was never made in China. Oh by the way I drive an Accord made by Honda in the USA with parts and pieces made here and abroad. I love America but too much of it has become a politically correct, and overpopulated with people who do not even want to work, let alone actually pay taxes.

Ok back to tires. So in all of my snooping around on the net I can't really find much that talks about a Sailon blowout in my 16" tire size. I will give Goodyear credit for supposedly paying for damage to RV's from the 614's blowing out. Makes me wonder why they blowout as they look like a real good tire. Their cost of around 350.00 is extremely expensive but I guess everything is expensive seeing inflation just makes our money worth less and less.

Tom Marty

NRA-Girl
09-11-2015, 02:09 AM
Great argument. I stand corrected. Perfect justification for sending our dollars to China.

jcurtis934
09-11-2015, 08:23 AM
Those americans jobs weren't sucked out of the states, they were sent to various countries by american companies that wanted more profit for the board of directors. When I was working in the corporate world, the company that I worked for used mexico, taiwan, china for computer assembies, parts, and in case of taiwan...laptop computers. A fact of gobal economy is that no country has a lot of their products made in their own country....21st century. The US has always been great at being on the forefront of tecnolgy and education in the sciences. That is where we need to get back to! NOW, tires, all have a code on them that say where they are made and one can look the code up on the internet. Most of the tire molds were once u.s. made, but that was 1960's. If you can afford the sole u.s. made tire for heavier trailers, you should be using them. The people who can't afford them have to deal with the lower quality chinese tires. Some of us went beyond g rated and use u.s. made goodyear, michelins, and sumitomo from japan. No one should be slighted or insulted because of the tires they use on their rv or tow vehicles. We state our opinions about issues on the forum and try to help people of all income levels, etc. Sorry to the members for my tirade on this thread! John

trlrboy
09-11-2015, 11:12 AM
I think I would take what NRA-girl has to say with a grain of salt.
She's 54 years old which doesn't match her picture, that's for sure.

Dam Worker
09-11-2015, 12:16 PM
John I consider your post as good information, not a tirade. A lot has happened to the USA since the sixties. Unfortunately it is not like the sixties anymore, don't get me wrong I like almost all of the new conveniences that I get to enjoy. I am real happy with Radial tires verse Bias Ply etc. people need to get what works for them, that is why we have lots of choices to choose from.

Tom Marty

Mark N.
09-18-2015, 07:21 PM
Buy American? Well, sometimes, sometimes not. Let's see..My F-150 is Ford...Made in Canada. My Camry is Toyota. Made in Tennessee, by American moms and dads and sons and daughters.
It doesn't help American tire workers one bit if you can't buy their tires because they cost TWICE what the imported tires cost, right? When you can't afford something, you can't afford it. Period. It doesn't matter who makes it. If you NEED tires, and you can only afford the imports, then argument is just totally stupid. You HAVE to buy what you can afford, or you are a fool.

Artemus Gordon
09-18-2015, 07:39 PM
Back to the tire. I believe the Sailun tire's are a good option. I could not find them. Therefore I bought the Goodyear tire's and feel very comfortable. My price was also better than the quote for the Sailun. I am always happy to save money! Lol

Artemus Gordon
09-18-2015, 07:51 PM
Back to the tire. I believe the Sailun tire's are a good option. I could not find them. Therefore I bought the Goodyear tire's and feel very comfortable. My price was also better than the quote for the Sailun. I am always happy to save money! Lol

PSFORD99
09-19-2015, 06:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

You should share where you are getting G614's cheaper then S637 Sailuns. I'm sure there are plenty that would like to know , considering the Sailuns are usually well over $100.00 per tire cheaper. Of course unless you are referring to a different Goodyear tire then the G614

Dam Worker
09-19-2015, 06:13 AM
Artemus what size tires did you originally have and what size did you replace them with. Also if I may ask, where did you get the great deal on Goodyears as in my search they have been almost twice as expensive. Even around my area trying to find a dealer for the Sailuns has been tuff. I can get them online quite easily and then have them mounted locally. My tires are 235/80R16's and the Sailun's that I have seen for the 16" rims were 235/85R16s. I think that got them a 3750 lb or 4080 rating at 110 psi. I have seen two different ratings so I am not sure which one is correct. The higher rating was also listed as a ST 14 ply. I need to find out for sure, maybe someone can tell me what is on their tires if they already have a set on their unit.

Tom Marty

WeBeFulltime
09-19-2015, 09:08 AM
I intend to buy the Sailuns next summer but would still like to know where Artemus bought the Goodyear 614s cheaper than Sailuns. Educate me!

PSFORD99
09-20-2015, 06:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

I intend to buy the Sailuns next summer but would still like to know where Artemus bought the Goodyear 614s cheaper than Sailuns. Educate me!

I would be more then happy to buy G614's again at the right price other then the outrageous price they want. My plans are also to buy the Sailuns next summer.

PSFORD99
09-21-2015, 01:49 PM
Looks like Artemus has left the building

Artemus Gordon
09-21-2015, 09:32 PM
235/80 R16s are the size on my Montana at purchase. Without going out and looking, I might have purchased 235/85s. At the time I bought through "SimpleTire" SimpleTire.com, on line. I am buying most of my tire's through SimpleTire. I have not checked to see if they still carry them, but try on line then call them. It was 18 months or more since I got mine and I may have gotten in on a special sale/rebate, I can't remember, but, I was pleased at the time and bought 7 of them. For example, I buying Vogue Tyres for my Caddys cheaper than 10 years ago, also they are difficult to find. My Ultra high performance tire's for my SRT Charger's, are priced better than others I have found. Good Company excellent prices. Had them delivered to the tire shop I use in Redding. They even have tire installer affiliates.

http://simpletire.com/goodyear-g614-rst-tires Found this without looking for discount.

NRA-Girl
09-22-2015, 01:26 AM
I hope that North Korea doesn't start exporting tires or the "best value" crowd with be singing the praises of the "beloved leader brand" tire.

bshgto
09-22-2015, 12:43 PM
Well considering "how" I earned "my" dollars. I`m going for the best bang for the buck and went with the Sailuns, nice tires.

Dam Worker
09-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Ron have you took the time to research the Sailun tires? Why do you say unproven tire when they seem to have been in use now for a number of years. I think some people are on their second sets or ready to go to set number two because of age. My other concern is why does Goodyear have to repair people's unit, I guess it would only be because they still have blowouts. I think the G614 are a quality tire but there are still blowouts. Not knocking them but Ron where is their rubber made? Is there not enough Quality Control at the factory, where were they made. Were they made on a Friday or Monday? I sure hope you have never bought anything not made in America.

Ok I guess I will get of my soapbox.

Tom Marty

vangoes
09-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Just for the record....for all the Goodyear cheerleaders and only buy American company products, check out those Goodyear marathons. Made in China! Nuff said.

jimcol
09-22-2015, 06:04 PM
I think it has always been pretty common knowledge on this forum that the Marathons are made in China.Not sure what "Nuff said" means.??? Jim

Artemus Gordon
09-22-2015, 07:28 PM
I know people get highly "emotional" on the dreaded tire discussion. Might we be honest with ourselves and understand a vast majority of what we buy is made elsewhere. Mostly because of price. The real issue is quality and standards of the parent company. It's Goodyears responsibly to see that outside sources are up to US guidelines. When they fail to do this, the first and best voting we can do is with our dollars. I have friends who won't buy a truck with tire's he does not like. He forces the dealer to change them out. Had I known Keystone was putting "dangerous" tire's on my Montana, they would have been changed before the purchase. I learned about tire's here from the MOC. With fewer than 1500 miles on them, I replaced them with out hesitation. If Sailun tire's meet my needs and are found to be safe, then I will put my trust in them. So far reports have been good, with a few contrary reports. For me Goodyear earned my dollars years ago. I can and will spend my money based on information I gather from my research. The G14s have been exemplary. I most likely will buy them again, but will not rule out a better alternative, if I believe it's worthy. Now let's talk about paying attention to our tire's. My best friends curb hopping cost him dearly, he blamed the tire's, I blamed him! Lol.

Twopetes
09-27-2015, 03:42 AM
I am sure I will get arguments by this, But I think we all need to think about why we (America) sends jobs off shore. We are all part of the issue. We want clean air. We want more time off. We want to pay less for whatever we buy. We all want to get big returns I'm our retirement savings. So I think we have seen in enemy and he is us. I have been to China and two things. First, their workers are expected to work but they are treated better than you think, and second,they are smart. I saw simple innovation that saves money and saw them making more parts than our plant with 25% of the staff. But we did the job different and would not change. We get in our own way.

Enough about that.

Where are people getting the Sailum tires? I see so many variations of the tire. I want "G" rating, 14 ply rating 75 or more mph speed rating, which I hope gets me 3200 plus lb. capacity. Any help is appreciated.

vangoes
09-27-2015, 09:39 AM
There are many tire dealers that sell Sailun tires, just check with your local dealers first. I got mine through our local Goodyear tire store. He ordered them and they came in the next day. No problems with availability. For my previous SOB I also got Maxxis tires through this same dealer when people around the forums were reporting availability problems. I guess it depends on the dealers networks or willingness to sell tires they don't stock, so just check around.

Artemus Gordon
09-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Interesting read about the Company. American Engineering is behind the product!

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/07/sailun-atrezzo-z4as-tire-review.html

Dam Worker
09-27-2015, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the link Artemus, interesting read as I am interested in the company, product and what their goal is. Sounds like they want to make tires as good as the competition and sell them for less. ;)

Your setup sounds very nice. How did you end up with the Artemus Gordon handle. I used to be a Wild Wild West fan. :)

Tom Marty

Artemus Gordon
09-27-2015, 03:24 PM
Lol thanks. Loved Wild Wild West as a kid. When I fully retired at 50, I got a puppy, I named him Artemus! Felt it was a fine alias to use!

Goin 4 Broke
11-01-2015, 03:45 PM
Ordered and received a set of the Sailuns from Simple Tire. Good price, fast delivery and fresh tires. Pulled the stock Goodyear Marathons and went to Pep Boy to have the tires swapped on my rims. Unfortunately they couldn't balance them - seems they didn't have the right wheel adapter. Hopefully their "master tech" will find an adapter tomorrow and they will be balanced.

Huge difference in weight and appearance. These tires are much more commercial than our wimpy stock Marathons.

I hope to report success in balancing and then road trip reviews this spring when we spend February and March in FL.

Dam Worker
11-02-2015, 02:12 PM
Let us know how it turns out. I would say there should be a big difference between the look and weight of good G rated tires verse the D and E rated tires.
Were you happy with the online price? I will feel a lot better when I have new quality tires on my unit. My 3160 is back at the dealer to try and get some more of the warranty work done. Some of my goals to have done before next year are new tires, inverter, satellite and electrical protection. For my work at home I still need to install the two Fantastic Fan Covers that I finally got from CW when our unit comes back from the dealer.

Tom Marty

Sailor_Roy
11-02-2015, 04:16 PM
New to this forum...A week ago I ordered a 2016 Montana 3790RD with many options......One being the up-grade to the Goodyear G rated tires. I am hoping to have a reliable tire. I use TST pressure and temp sensors on my (for sale) 42 ft Raptor. Gives great peace of mind.

Roy

Johnnyg
11-03-2015, 01:26 AM
After we had a second blow out with the made in China Goodyear Marathons I purchased the S637 tires in October, 2013. We've logged about 5500 miles to date. One tire is wearing slightly more that the others but I believe it's due to the alignment. The overall rate of wear is very low maybe approaching 2/32 since new and the tires look like new. I've added air 3 times since they were installed. I could be my imagination but the trailer seems to handle better. I suppose it could be due to the stiffer side wall

Goin 4 Broke
11-03-2015, 01:49 PM
I got my tires back from Pep Boys last night. Their master tech had to figure out how to remove the center hub dress up cap. Seems mine were a bit seized to the wheel.

They did the balancing however one wheel has like 6 wheel weights all in a row. Must be close to 8 oz. anyone else had a Sailun with this much balance weights?

trlrboy
11-03-2015, 09:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by Goin 4 Broke

...Their master tech had to figure out how to remove the center hub dress up cap...

They did the balancing however one wheel has like 6 wheel weights all in a row. Must be close to 8 oz. anyone else had a Sailun with this much balance weights?

Could be your "master tech" doesn't know how to balance a tire yet. My Sailun S637's were balanced with one small weight on 3 tires and none on the 4th. 3000 miles so far with no issues at all.

mhs4771
11-04-2015, 01:53 PM
A good Tire Tech will remount a tire requiring that much weight by moving it at least a partial revolution on the rim and try again.
That just sounds like an awful lot of weight in one spot.

wrehfield
11-06-2015, 05:33 AM
Just had four Sailun 235/85/R16's mounted on the 2012 Mountaineer. Had four Towmax which lasted about two years.
Uneven tire wear on the Towmax. Got the Sailun thru Big O tires. No problems getting them. As the tire tech said,
The 85's should have been on the trailer in the beginning, instead of 80's. The fifth wheel originally came with
Marathon's, they did not last. I am going to Mexico in January. By the time I return, I should have good idea of
how the Sailin's last.

Goin 4 Broke
11-06-2015, 12:40 PM
After reading another thread on this forum I just realized another mistake! I did not have them install metal valve stems. I figured the stock rubber ones were like new. Now I hear that they can fail! What do all of you say? Should I pull the wheels again and have them dismounted, new valve stems bolted on and rebalanced? Or do I run them as they are and IF I experience valve stem leaks, then go the metal route? I do have a TPMS system...

rohrmann
11-09-2015, 04:48 PM
Just for everyone's information, I happened to be searching info about the Sailun LT rated S637 tires, and came across this Sailun product sheet. It describes two different ST rated S637 tires, one an 80, and the other an 85. From what I've been reading, and due to an import tariff on LT tires, they have changed specs on their tires and now are calling their new ones ST tires. http://www.sailuntires.ca/MRT/S637.html

PSFORD99
11-11-2015, 04:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by rohrmann

Just for everyone's information, I happened to be searching info about the Sailun LT rated S637 tires, and came across this Sailun product sheet. It describes two different ST rated S637 tires, one an 80, and the other an 85. From what I've been reading, and due to an import tariff on LT tires, they have changed specs on their tires and now are calling their new ones ST tires. http://www.sailuntires.ca/MRT/S637.html

Looks like the only difference is .9 inches in diameter. I have heard guys state they were losing an inch between the tires with the 85. With the 80 now , which I think is the newer of the two sizes, there is no loss between tires ,and no gain in height .

Looks like you could pick either size. I would probably stay with the 85 .

rconkin
11-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Here is a link to a thread I started on rv.net after having the S637's installed today. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28646213.cfm I had 2 blowouts on the way home to TN from MD back in June with the Marathons that came on our 5er that was built in May 2012. the first was around mile marker 190 on Interstate 81 and the second at mile marker 17 which was almost home. Goodyear has sent me a check for the damages which was a little over $2,400 as well as $382 for two new tires which I was very happy with. The only hard part, other than working a lot of OT this summer, was getting the local dealer to send what was left of the old tires back to Goodyear for inspection. It finally took a call from Goodyear to get them to send them back. I priced the G614 from another Goodyear dealer and was quoted $325 per tire. I had the S637s installed today for $695 for four tires. We get a 10% discount from GCR Tire because of the company I work for. My 5er goes to the dealer for repairs in the near future so I doubt we will have anymore trips this year. I'll be sure to report back with any problems or lack of problems after some trips next year. One thing I noticed is that the link to Sailun's website referenced here is a Canadian website instead of the US website. The Canadian website has the 80 series tires shown and the US doesn't. There is also differences in the load rating and tread depth between the two websites. I posted the tables from US and Canada in the thread on rv.net. Anyway, I'm trying them and will let you know how they do.

Dam Worker
11-12-2015, 04:27 AM
RConkin, Thanks for your information and link. I will need to replace my tires before the next season, mainly just for peace of mind as they are still new. Unit is back at the shop and I do not see any other trips until springtime.

Tom Marty

Mark N.
12-11-2015, 12:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by Goin 4 Broke

After reading another thread on this forum I just realized another mistake! I did not have them install metal valve stems. I figured the stock rubber ones were like new. Now I hear that they can fail! What do all of you say? Should I pull the wheels again and have them dismounted, new valve stems bolted on and rebalanced? Or do I run them as they are and IF I experience valve stem leaks, then go the metal route? I do have a TPMS system...
I've only ever had one leaky tire on my Montana, (I too use a monitoring system) and it was a METAL valve stem leaking. Take it for what it's worth I guess...

jcurtis934
12-12-2015, 02:22 AM
If the stem is rated for the higher pressure, then it should work well without a sensor hanging on top...just my opinion. Think I would research metal stems that fit the hole size of the wheel, find the best, order them, and then have a tire shop change them out at some point. Only opinion that counts on this is yours. John

Goin 4 Broke
12-12-2015, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will look to buy a set of metal valve stems. I will also carefully watch my TPMS

MHC305RL
02-15-2016, 10:10 AM
I think I just got a whopper of a deal. I bought 4 Sailun S637 LT235/85R16G out the door for $462 at NTB in Knoxville, Tn! I called this morning and was shocked at both the price and the fact they had 4 in stock. Now these are the LT and not the ST so they are older. I think the build date is 17th week of 2014 if I am reading the correct one, but at this price who cares! I called back and talked to a different guy to make sure they were looking up the correct tire. He said the price is $83.50 for the tire. I couldn't believe it. Our camper is getting warranty work done so when it is back home, I will get them mounted and balanced (the price already includes that). I will order a 5th for the spare also.

They may have been discounted just because of having them in stock for so long, I don't know. I just got off the phone with him while typing this and he said he has 80 in 2 different locations and can get it within 2 days. He said if the price goes up, he will adjust it what I paid today.

TLightning
02-15-2016, 11:46 AM
Guaranteed for 100,000 miles, 10 years or until you move the RV, which ever comes first.:D

Goin 4 Broke
02-15-2016, 12:23 PM
So far I am very pleased with my tire choice of these Sailun's. Did the run from Chicago to Jacksonville, Fl without a hitch. Tires performed very well - held pressures with no adjustments. Tire temps were fine as would be expected in cold weather running down. I was usually running at 70 mph with occasional 75 to keep up with traffic. The confidence that I had tires that could easily manage the weight as well as run at 70 made the trip much easier this year.

While 1200 miles is not a convincing argument for these tires, yet, it is I hope the start of a long run with some serious tires at far better price than the Goodyears.

MHC305RL
02-15-2016, 01:07 PM
I'm sure these will be better than the oem tires I have now. Even so we took a 5k mile trip last summer without a hitch, but I watched the pressures like a hawk.

Dam Worker
02-15-2016, 01:34 PM
The wife and I went to an RV show put on by La Mesa RV at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale just for fun. While looking at the RV's I noticed a lot of the heavier ones had 17.5" rubber and that the Landmark and possibly the Big Country both built by Heartland had Sailun S 637's on the 16" rims. Tires looked heavy duty to me compared to what Keystone is putting on their units. These looked more like commercial type tires, very similar to the GY 617's. I hope I got the numbers correct. Rated for 4080 lbs single and 3640 in dual mode. I think they used to be built as a single only type tire and now are also able to be run in a dual type configuration.

Tom Marty

PNW Fireguy
02-16-2016, 05:23 PM
This thread has been going a bit but thought I would add my .01. My dealer put on 4 Sailun S637's replacing the OEM E rated TK's on our 3440RL. After the short 75 mile trip home we have a couple of short shakedown trips planned for local destinations to see if we can expose any issues with the coach. We will put 1800 miles or so on a trip to Yellowstone in May. I think that will at least provide us with some ability to provide some feedback on the tires.

DQDick
02-17-2016, 12:14 AM
This is all good information, keep it coming. We've got a little over 40,000 on our 614's so far with a trip from Florida to New Mexico planned next week and then on to Kansas so we don't miss the tornado season. We'll be needing to replace them sometime in the next three years so I'll be following how the Sailun's do.

Goin 4 Broke
02-17-2016, 01:53 PM
Dick that is an amazing amount of miles. I can only hope that these Sailuns do half as well. I will keep posting progress as I hopefully can log as many miles as you!

pkbridges77
02-17-2016, 04:10 PM
Was checking my tires in Savannah before starting the trip home and found concerning, significant wear on my junk off brand E rated tires. Did as much research as possible and opted for the Sailun 637s and metal stems since I really couldn't find documented failures. Paid twice what you're getting them for, MHC305RL, and were still almost half the price of Goodyears 614s. Thankful that GY is standing behind their product and paying for damage to the RV due to blowouts, but I prefer not to have the blowout. Made the trip home with Sailuns and a lot more confidence with no surprises. Seems like they've got a very good product and you've found an excellent price.

MHC305RL
02-18-2016, 02:22 AM
I just hope we have no problems with them for years to come. We picked up our fiver April 10, 2015 with Trailer King (I believe) tires on it and drove from Tennessee to Yellowstone for over 4k miles and to the beach and several 2 to 3 hours trips without one problem. I never failed to check the pressure before leaving the house or leaving the campground. So I expect these G rated tires to never even sweat on my 13k pound fiver.

I couldn't believe the price until I was pulling away. I wanted to let everyone know (on another forum also), that live near Knoxville, to check it out.

Starmaster
03-09-2016, 02:31 PM
I just thought I would provide some more feedback on the Sailun S637 tires. Last October at the National Rally in Goshen TreadIt had rally pricing on the Sailuns at $109 so I put a set on our 3160, even bought a spare. I also made sure they installed metal high pressure valve stems on the wheels when they mounted the tires.

We now have about 5000 miles on them with no problems at all. We wintered in Tucson for two months this year. Prior to heading back home, I checked the pressure and found that they had not lost any pressure at all. I'm running these at 100psi cold, on the trip home once they warmed up, the pressure was about 115psi.

It may be me, but it seems that the 5er is more stable with these tires than the original Trailer King tires, Overall, I'm very happy with the tires and have a lot more confidence towing now knowing that I don't have to worry about tire problems.

Dave

Dam Worker
03-09-2016, 03:05 PM
Dave it is good to hear that so far you are happy with your 637's. My guess is that they probably have a two to one weight over most of the tires that Keystone puts on our units. The ones I saw on the Landmarks looked to be very heavy duty. I would suspect that the 637's and GY's 614's both make our units handle better. Probably most noticeable in windy conditions and rough roads.

Tom Marty

DQDick
03-10-2016, 03:02 AM
We thought ours handled better, particularly in the wind, when we put the 614's on.

kozzy
03-31-2016, 06:45 AM
will these tires fit on the stock rims that came with my Montana? Whats size are people getting the 235/80 R16 or the 85 R16?
The sailuns come in both, the 614 only come in the 85/R16

Bill.vannuys
04-07-2016, 06:06 PM
I just purchased Sailun 637s and had them installed yesterday. The stock rims on my 2014 Montana met the pressure requirement (it is stamped on the back side of the rim). I purchased the 235/80 R16s. I paid $168.50 each that included mounting and balancing.

Dam Worker
04-12-2016, 04:45 PM
Now that I am ready to move forward on buying a set of Sailun's for our 3160 I have another question. My current tires are ST235/80R16 Trailer King. How many people have got the Sailun 235/85R16 tires verse the 235/80/R16 tires? Only .9" difference between them in OD, all other measurements are the same. From the research I have done so far either size will work just fine. Adding to the overall hight of our unit would be my primary worry. Space between tires should still be fine but I am leaning towards the 235/85R16's.

Tom Marty

MARK A
04-12-2016, 06:14 PM

Now that I am ready to move forward on buying a set of Sailun's for our 3160 I have another question. My current tires are ST235/80R16 Trailer King. How many people have got the Sailun 235/85R16 tires verse the 235/80/R16 tires? Only .9" difference between them in OD, all other measurements are the same. From the research I have done so far either size will work just fine. Adding to the overall hight of our unit would be my primary worry. Space between tires should still be fine but I am leaning towards the 235/85R16's.

Tom Marty

I just put a set of Geo Star 14 ply trailer tires on. They are Comparable to the Sailuns, I got them at Les Schwab and most stores stock them. So pretty good chance of finding tires in the west anyway.
They are STIFF, the Trailer Kings are like rags next to them.
They are 235/85's too. They fit fine.
Mark

pkbridges77
04-13-2016, 01:35 AM
Tom, I had no problem at all changing from the /80/ to the /85/.

bdimmick
04-15-2016, 09:18 AM
Has anyone dealt with the Samson tires,280 we have had 1 blow out and almost two more but caught it just in time, we have always had the Goodyear Marathons and they didn't last two year.

Dam Worker
04-15-2016, 11:00 AM
Beverly I do not have any knowledge of the Samson brand tires, maybe someone else will speak up. I like the Sailun brand.

Tom Marty.

Dam Worker
04-15-2016, 11:13 AM
Well today I ended up buying the Sailun ST 235/80R16 LRG 14's from Trailer Tires and Wheels. :D Scott helped me with the purchase and I should have them by the middle of next week. I could have went to the rainy side of the state and got them from the Big O tire dealers but I try to stay away from the nasty traffic over there. :( I could have also gotten them from Simple Tire and in fact I almost did. I would have saved forty some dollars but I would have ended up with the ST 235/85R16's which from all reports would work just fine. They want 125.99 a tire plus shipping and FET. I really got good customer service from Scott at Trailer Tires and Wheels and he threw in the metal valve stems and a T-shirt for free. I am already nervous about overall fitth-wheel hight and this will save me from another 1/2" increase. I think I will be very happy with these tires. Now to see if I can sell some Trail King tires with very low mileage ;)

Tom Marty

PSFORD99
04-15-2016, 02:56 PM

Well today I ended up buying the Sailun ST 235/80R16 LRG 14's from Trailer Tires and Wheels. :D Scott helped me with the purchase and I should have them by the middle of next week. I could have went to the rainy side of the state and got them from the Big O tire dealers but I try to stay away from the nasty traffic over there. :( I could have also gotten them from Simple Tire and in fact I almost did. I would have saved forty some dollars but I would have ended up with the ST 235/85R16's which from all reports would work just fine. They want 125.99 a tire plus shipping and FET. I really got good customer service from Scott at Trailer Tires and Wheels and he threw in the metal valve stems and a T-shirt for free. I am already nervous about overall fitth-wheel hight and this will save me from another 1/2" increase. I think I will be very happy with these tires. Now to see if I can sell some Trail King tires with very low mileage ;)

Tom Marty

Its just the opposite for me, I would welcome the extra height it would help level a bit. My truck a 3500 Ram sits pretty high in the back. Every little bit helps.

Dam Worker
04-15-2016, 03:37 PM
Right now mine sits pretty level. The 1/2" in hight increase probably wouldn't make any difference for most of my driving. I guess I am just a bit paranoid on certain overpass and bridge heights. Near Portland I went under some pretty low ones with no problem. I need to measure while hooked up to my truck so I have a real number.

Tom Marty

tabraha
04-21-2016, 01:34 AM
I'll be putting on my S637's next week. Thanks for everyone's feedback in this thread. Just decided to bite the bullet now so I would have one less thing weighing on my mind as we head west in June.

Dam Worker
04-21-2016, 03:02 PM
My S 637's arrived this afternoon, sitting on the concrete outside the garage door. :-). Probably get them mounted in the next few days. No comparison when looking at them verse the Keystone installed Trail Kings. Just like getting a better insurance policy.

Tom Marty

RVokie
07-14-2016, 01:08 AM
Picking up my new 3160 next monday. I'm going to order 4 new Sailun 637s right off the bat. I'm hoping my installer will trade the 4 "new" tires for mounting/balancing on the Sailuns. ;)

pkbridges77
07-14-2016, 11:34 AM
I'm hoping you will be just as satisfied with the Sailuns as we have been. With this hot weather, we've seen heavy RVs on the side of the road almost every day with blowouts and am thankful every time that we got the Sailuns. We are at Maumelle in Little Rock and a fairly new Montana pulled in beside us - I asked if he was on the forum - answer, "No" - then asked if he was satisfied with his rig. He said yes except all the tire problems he's had - five blowouts in 2 years. Looked a little closer and he still had Marathons.

Dam Worker
07-14-2016, 02:43 PM
Paul I hope you politely educated him on RV tires. :-) You would think after awhile they would have started doing some research on the tire issue. Enjoy your new tires, I know I am a lot more comfortable driving down the road with my G-rated tires than I was with the Trailer Kings.

Tom Marty

pkbridges77
07-14-2016, 04:32 PM

Paul I hope you politely educated him on RV tires. :-) You would think after awhile they would have started doing some research on the tire issue. Enjoy your new tires, I know I am a lot more comfortable driving down the road with my G-rated tires than I was with the Trailer Kings.

Tom Marty

I did the best I could but he really didn't seem interested. His response continued along the line of blame Keystone, these tires are what they recommend, etc. He actually seemed more discouraged about RVs in general. It's a shame when something like a better tire could radically change his attitude. I think I remember Lynwood has encountered this also with those who just don't want/need your advice. Again I say, thank you for this forum.

DQDick
07-14-2016, 05:24 PM
Nobody wants to hear they need to spend more money and they particularly don't want to hear that a subject (tires) that they thought they understood is now an issue on their new RV. It, at times, turns into kill the messenger.