PDA

View Full Version : Black tank

K0LCB
08-13-2013, 04:52 AM
How often do you all dump your holding tanks while traveling? If I have hookups, I dump every day while on the road. I was told not to dump black tank until it is half full.

Capt Kidd
08-13-2013, 05:06 AM
We normally dump every three to four days. If the Grand Kids are with us we have to dump more often. They don't understand water conservation.

Neil.M
08-13-2013, 05:25 AM
We dump the black tank on the average every 3-4 days. We shut off the galley tank the day before to have enough for a good rinse after dumping the black. If you don't have enough liquid in the black to create a rush down the tube you can end up with a waste pyramid, not a good thing to have.

Recumbent
08-13-2013, 06:25 AM
Maybe every 3 to 4 days except when traveling then its every morning. Use one day/nights worth of gray water to rinse out the lines from galley and bath. This schedule seems to be working for us.

K0LCB
08-13-2013, 06:49 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback

DQDick
08-13-2013, 07:13 AM
We dump most days when we are on the road. We use more water than normal when we flush, flush the tank before we leave and then dump the grey tank. Frequently I'll do a small load of laundry at night and that gives me plenty of water in the grey tank to clean the lines. The only tank we travel with with something in it is the fresh water tank and that is 1/3 full to use to flush the toilet with if we stop to use it along the way.

GreatWhite
08-13-2013, 07:24 AM
I usually dump before I leave.. if after 3-4 day stay. If a 1-2 day stay, I don't. When I dump, I put in about 10 gallons of water and let it slosh real good and dump at the next stop. I think it helps clean cr@p off the walls, hopefully keeping the sensors reading better. I always dump towards the end of a trip and the rig is going to set for a few weeks. I have a dump a few miles away.. so, I travel with a "cleaned" tank.. dump the sloshed gunk near home.. and put in about 5 gallons of water for the storage. So far so good.

kdeiss
08-13-2013, 07:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by Recumbent

Maybe every 3 to 4 days except when traveling then its every morning. Use one day/nights worth of gray water to rinse out the lines from galley and bath. This schedule seems to be working for us.

Exactly what we do has worked for a lot of years

Trailer Trash 2
08-13-2013, 10:37 AM
most of you are 3 to 4 days. I wait until the toilet starts to burp, and that averages out to every 5 to 7 days for us.

Tfthorp
08-13-2013, 10:42 AM
I dump every few days and try and do it when we arrive at CG. This way its stirred up real good from sloshing around while driving, then dump the grey and galley tanks to flush the hose.

richfaa
08-13-2013, 10:52 AM
when on the road every day as the sloshing around travelling gives the tank a good cleaning. When stationary for a long time every 3 days or so. we also keep the galley tank closed as that tank can get as nasty as the black tank. We normally keep the gray tank open but will close it a day before we dump to collect shower water to flush out the hose. Right now the camper is on the pad along side the house with black,grey and gally tanks 3/4 full and with a good dose of Rid X. They will stay that way for about one month while the Rid X works and when we dump those tanks will be super clean. Been doing that for years.

1retired06
08-14-2013, 03:27 AM
When parked for longer periods we wait til it burps which can take two weeks or more for us. I prefer to travel with tanks empty. Occasionally I flush the black tank by dumping, filling the tank up via hose thru the toilet and then dumping again. I have always understood that tank should be at least half full before dumping.

JandC
08-14-2013, 05:20 AM
I keep the galley gray open, plus our washer/dryer combo goes directly out without entering any of the tanks. Every 3 or 4 days I dump the black and bedroom gray. Every week I hook up the black tank flush and run it until it comes out clear. I have been told to dump a bag of ice down the toilet when traveling with an empty black tank and that will get everything off the bottom of the black tank. I may try that next time we move.