PDA

View Full Version : 6000 miles, 10 States and 5 National Parks

RKassl
08-28-2009, 02:47 PM
We just returned from our first episode of Long-timing! We left in June just after the wife and I both retired. Went to Glacier, Craters of the Moon, Bryce Canyon, Zion and the Grand Canyon. we met some fine folks and made some new friend from all over the country. I had my first experience with mountains and 10% grades and desert driving. The Duramax did its job well, the Pressure-Pro system was great to have. The Monty performed fantastically with the Dexter EZ flex and the Moryde Pin box.

What surprised us was how many rental rv's we saw out west. I was amazed how many rver's have pets with them and many times several of them too.

This was a practice run for Alaska in 2010. I don't know, talked to several families who were up there recently and talked about the road conditions. We may rethink just how to do it next year.

It is great to be back to the stick house and this point in our lives Long-timing is the way we will travel.

Mrs. CountryGuy
08-28-2009, 02:49 PM
What a great report, sounds like a fabulous summer!

adelmoll
08-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Looks like you have your head on right and know how to break in.. Enjoy the long timing.. Full time is not for everyone but I'm betting that your long time keeps getting longer. :)

Helen

wswebster
08-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Sounds like you had a great trip. As far as Alaska goes, go for it!! Many of us have and have not regretted it.

Stacy

capn chris
08-29-2009, 04:58 AM
Bob,
Great report. Glad to hear that the EZ Flex and shackle replacement worked for you! Nice ride over many miles. You visited some of our great country. Good start?!! Welcome home.

richfaa
08-29-2009, 05:04 AM
That is a good start and a good learning experience. We are over 3 years into long timing and it works well for us. We are always looking forward to a new adventure and enjoy our "home base" time.. It is the best of both worlds.

sreigle
08-29-2009, 06:45 AM
Sounds like you had a great time! Wow, you covered a lot of territory! When I was younger I could do that but now we take things much slower. Getting old, I guess. I'm glad you had a good time. Good luck with the Alaska trip.

We're also seeing far more rental rv's this year. I read somewhere the rentals are up. Apparently the economy had something to do with changing people's vacation plans.

timandsusan
08-29-2009, 07:49 AM
Bob and Nancy--Sounds like our first long time trip with about the same National Parks. I still remember the wonderful experience. And we went to Alaska the next year-2007. So, keep up the planning to do the Alaska trip.

helmick
08-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Went to Zion in July, we had never saw so many rental RV`s.
We passed one after the other.

cmawendy
08-31-2009, 04:51 AM
We lived in Alaska for 25 yrs and I would suggest that if you can go there you should go. It is a very unique place that you won't see anywhere else :)

sgtpp214
08-31-2009, 01:47 PM
:DI gave my MIL an option as to where to go on a long RV trip. She choose Alaska. We have never regretted it and you won't either. Go for it. Igonore the naysayers who have nothing but negative comments. Just take you time and drive slow.