Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2005, 01:03 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Which Browser do you use???

I hadn't realized how many browsers are now out there.
When I first got online I believe there were 3. Internet Explorer, Netscape and Opera, now I see there is a Foxfire and a couple others.
Never used Opera. Only used Netscape for a very short period.
Have been using IE for at least the past 6 or 8 years.
Now I don't want this turned into one of them. My browser is better than your browser type threads. I am just curious.

What do you use?

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:00 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Glenn, Just the facts, man: I have on my destop: Netscape, Firefox, and {of course) Internet Explorer. Just as a matter of history, I have been a NetScape user over many years. My primary reason was that I liked the integration of Browser and eMail client. I still like the way Netscape handles email. I have moved all the way through the different versions of Netscape. I sometimes move back and forth between Netscape and IE many times a day. As for Firefox, I just haven't used it much because I am comfortable enough using the other two, but I deliberatly use it occasionally to 'find out about it'. BTW this applies to my three computers upstairs. On Countrygirl's computer downstairs, she only has Netscape and IE. Try to keep things a bit simpler for her convenience.

As you can see my philosophy is "Use 'em all".
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:29 AM   #3
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Mossberg of the WSJ recently reported on the many new browsers. He gave very high marks to Safari on Apple Machines and Firefox for both Apple and MS Windows. He thinks Explorer has not kept up with new features and techniques because new releases are now tied to windows upgrades.

Personally, I have both Safari and Explorer on the various computers around here. Explorer rarely gets used anymore. The only time I use it is when some one has built a web page around some arcane non-standard construct allowed by Explorer. MS has a habit of ignoring standards. It is one of the reasons web designers have to screen web pages against other browsers as well as Explorer.

I plan to put Firefox up in the near future but, Safari works so well, I have no need other than curiosity.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:53 AM   #4
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
I mainly use firefox but have IE and will use it from time to time to do the things that I cannot do on firefox.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:55 AM   #5
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I use SlimBrowser. It is free and equal to IE but without the popup ads.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:09 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I started with Netscape back before Explorer came on the scene. Switched to Explorer when I had trouble getting later versions of Netscape to perform, and just recently downloaded Firefox to try. I like Firefox, but I don't really see a great difference from Explorer. It is suppesed to be less prone to virus attacks and the like, which is a good enough reason for me to use it. I like the idea of "open source" programs; so I will probably continue to use Firefox just to support the people who developed it.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:30 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
After 25 years, I am a recent convert to Firefox. One simple feature I like is the "tab' feature. By sorting my bookmarks into folders, such as "RV sites", I can click on the folder and select "open in tabs", and all my sites open up in tabs acroos the top of the screen for easy switching from one to the other seamlessly. Maybe other programs have this feature, but this is my first experience with it--I like!
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:05 PM   #8
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Now come on Stiles. 25 years must be a stretch. That's even before Senator Gore invented the Internet. Of course i am just teasing. Isn't it interesting how fast these things enter into our life and become "virtual" necessities..
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:25 PM   #9
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Mozilla Firefox - works great.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:24 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
OK, question for all of you using "alternative" browsers. I started with Netscape then switched to IE when Netscape decided to charge for its product. Never went back. I never tried any other browsers simply because they were never 100% compatible with IE and thus there were some pages I would not be able to view properly. At least it was that way many years ago.

So what's the compatibility situation with the current crop of alternative browsers (pc windows, not linux or mac). I have no desire to switch back and forth between browsers and have been fine with IE. My 'gotta have the latest and greatest new computer toy' kinda waned when retirement started.

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:41 PM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
IE, tried Netscape and hated it. Don't even remember why, it was so long ago. So far, have been able to do what I need to do with IE, and am too lazy to learn a new browser. Al has used Netscape, but now uses mostly IE, as the computer that had Netscape is rarely used now.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:58 AM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I reimind of my earlier posts in this thread. I keep both Netscape and IE on my desktop (and now am trying out Firefox), pay for none of them, and use them back and forth at will. There are a FEW "interactive" pages that work better with IE. No big deal, I just open IE if I run into that problem, paste in the URL and see if it works better. It is simply a personal preference of mine that I do not have "my browser" to which I am bound.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:48 AM   #13
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I used Netscape for years and liked it but eventually switched to IE to be consistant with what we used at work. There used to be an issue with new websites being optimized for IE rather than Netscape. I'm not sure if this still exists. I'm still using IE and plan to stay with it. Also I use Outlook for mail.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:41 AM   #14
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I use netscape for my email on my desktop and also use ie for surfing. Some sites will not work with netscape. Don't understand why. When going to Steve and Vicki's site that has their trips on it I can read it in netscape but can't see the pictures so use ie.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:46 AM   #15
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
I've used IE for years and recently tried Firefox. So far I like Firefox by Mozilla. I even found a spell checker which is a must for me.

I tried to check out Steve and Vicki's postcards but neither IE or Firefox can get on at the moment...there is a Yahoo error asking me to come back later. So I can't share if it works on Firefox. It does work on IE as I was there earlier today checking out their updated postcards.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:28 PM   #16
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Speaking of Browsers, is anyone seeing a need for additional plug ins needed for MOC when using Firefox? It just occurred this evening and I don't know if it's legit or not?
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:49 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the headsup about the site not displaying pictures with Netscape. I take the easy way out and build the website with MS Word so, naturally, it's probably optimized for IE. I don't use anything fancy other than frames on that site, though, so would think it should show the pictures. Sometimes the pictures take awhile to load, especially on a slow connection.

I'm behind on postcards. Vicki's sent out two that I have not yet prepared and posted. This week sometime.

I use Outlook Express for email mostly because I like the graphics capabilities. Others may have caught up on that but I've no reason to change at this point.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 06:35 AM   #18
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
Primarily use Firefox. Have to resort to IE for compatibility issues with a couple websites that we routinely order from. Use Calypso for mail.

Why use products that are primary targets for viruses??? That's why we avoid Microsoft products...
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:12 PM   #19
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I am a Microsoft person and use only IE and have for many, many years. Since the beginning. We have Netscape at work and I hate it. But like so many other things, to each is own. We have four computers and it is simpler to keep them all on the same thing. I have enough trouble keeping the settings the same. I still can get the time and tempature things on the signatures to show up on my new Sony on highspeed but have no problem on the old Compaq on dial up. Could once but a setting got changed and now I can't. I use Word, Excel and PowerPoint at lot for work also.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:51 PM   #20
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
sreigle
In answer to your question about compatability, I switched to FireFox about 6 months ago after hearing so much about IE vulnerability. I haven't found any problems in visiting sites. FireFox seems to be pretty compatable. If you do have a problem with a site, FireFox has the ability to open the page in IE. FireFox also has the capability to be modified. They call the mods "extentions". There a quite a few people that have developed these extentions and you can download them for free from their sites.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote