Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
This is why I need to be a Dog Whisperer

Piccola started coughing on and off this past week, but exhibited not other symptoms that caused us concern, so we attributed it to dust, pollen, drinking/eating too fast. Last night, though, Doug decided he was concerned about her and that put me into full panic mode as when he says he is "concerned" that usually means we should be in "GQ" status (General Quarters...for non-military folks in "real people language" this means everyone starts running around smartly to their "stations" in response to a crises.)

Cause of his concern was that her breathing was a bit quick and she had a "crackle" in her chest while breathing. Soooo, I called our vet (who, by the way, only has Piccola and Lupo's records and had yet to see them for anything), got the answering service and was referred to an Vet ER Clinic close by...they were great as my biggest concern was maybe congestive heart failure (lost our last schnauzer to that and the only "symptom" was coughing) and we did some over the phone checks for good oxygen (check their gums for "bubble gum" pink color). Decided to keep an eye on her overnight and try the vet this morning.

Called vet this morning and they were "double booked" today (of course), but the vet (bless him) got on the phone and after talking to me suggested that I give her some Robetussin DM and told me the correct dosage and told me to call back at noon. Ran out, got the medicine, gave it to her, called back at noon. As I was concerned I wasn't communicating effectively I told the vet I was going to give the phone to Doug as sometimes "men talk differently than women and it might be better that Doug talk to him." They talked in "male shorthand" and we wound up taking Piccola in for a possible nebulizer treatment. Doctor checked here lungs (congested) and temp (103) and she wound up getting an hour treatment. Can't say enough about him or the staff as they close at 1:00 on Saturdays and we didn't leave until almost 2:00. We took Lupo with us as he and she are inseparable. I asked about making an appointment for them for their annual shots and the response was since he's here we'll go ahead and do his. (Piccola has to wait until she's better.)

The "Dog Whisperer" part of this post is because other than the occassional cough and the little "crackle" that you could only hear if you put your ear to her chest she exhibited NO other symptoms! Bright eyed, active, eating, drinking, playing with/terrorizing her brother, etc. Just scares you to death to think that they might be hurting or sick and you might never know until it is too late!

Anyway, she's breathing better and has antibiotics and the doc gave me his cell phone number for tomorrow if I need advice/guidance.

Keep your fingers crossed that she'll recover quickly!

Robin

eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Robin

Sorry to hear the kid is ailing, but, you get big CLAPPING and THAT A GIRLS for being alert and realizing there was a problem.

Good job!!!

Tilly, Mr. G and Cappy send their best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
labmom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8371
Wow Robin-Great job!!!!!!! Where are you? We have a great vet like that in Savannah. She bent over backwards for us with Murph!! I hope that everything works out well for the baby. Do dogs have asthma? Or did the poor lamb have a cold?
Anyway, good catch on your part.
Take care, Betsy
labmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Robin, scary ain't it? I am very familiar with that fear. Like you, I really got scared when Bernie started to worry! Glad to hear that you were able to get Piccola to see the vet! Whew! Glad to hear she's breathing better!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Give her her Robitussin and a big dogie cookie for being so good.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:57 AM   #6
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
Robin and Doug,

So glad to hear you did all the right things so that Piccola is feeling better. We sure love our furry friends!

Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts! Piccola (aka "Queen of the World as She Knows It") seems to be responding quite well to yesterday's treatment and the antibiotic regime that continues from this morning. No more "crackling" when she breaths and her rate of breathing is no longer at "double time." (Oh yeah, and she not only ate her raw hide chew yesterday, she stole her brother's and consumed that one as well!)

Tomorrow I'll check in with the Vet and determine follow-up schedule with him (and find out when I can bathe her again...she's starting to smell like (GASP!)....a dog!).

Give all your "children" a hello "woof" from the Hermann "kids" and a special treat just because you can!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Great job being so observant. It can go from bad to worse so quickly in a small pet. Glad you got through the severity of her sickness to the Vet. Sounds to me that your Vet is a dedicated man.

Hope everything clears up and she is back to normal soon.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote