Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #81
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Local news just now reported that in Norther California the price of gas is:
4.23 and 9/10 for Regular
4.33 and 9/10 for Plus
4.43 and 9/10 for Premium

They did not have the diesel price, but I guess we can expect it will be higher than the premium.

It's just around the corner folks, just around the corner. Soo will be $5 a gal for diesel I would guess.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #82
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Waynem,
Not quite that high yet in Santa Rosa, CA (northern Ca, wine country...perhaps a little grape juice for the rig???)
We're at 3.43 for regular, .10 more for each grade. Diesel is 3.79 although I have seen as high as 4.09. We are going to the coast this weekend, it's about .30 more up there.

I know there are several websites that have gas prices, in our area, I found
http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gassta...?zip=&src=Netx to be the best in our area. Other areas of the country perhaps have better/different sources. This one reports from credit card receipts daily. We have this address stored on our Apple Iphones, perfect for checking prices when pulling into town! This website also has the built in map.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #83
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
We deal with the rail at work. Being a dispatcher for the local trucking company I see this all the time. In order to deliever the railcars that we order from Utah they pull the entire train to Cheyenne,Wy so they can turn around and pull the cars back to south of where we are then break out the cars for delievery and deliever them back to the north. I would say the railroad waste more fuel than most people care to know about. Not to mention how many of there engines are left idiling for hours with no one in them. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #84
zechinova
Established Member

M.O.C. #8008
We live in the Czech Republic and with dollar down and gas up we pay about $8.50 per gallon.
zechinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #85
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
here on Long Island NY diesel went up to 4.19 in some stations
Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #86
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
...if this keeps up I'll be camping along side our garage...the budget only allows for so much, so fuel goes up, the fun stuff goes down.
Just wait until all this hits the fan - independent truckers are going under by the droves.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #87
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
At todays diesel prices it will cost me 401.65 to travel the 1100 miles to Northern Ohio and home and oil hit a new all time high today.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #88
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Louise and I talked about a friend of ours that just ordered a new Ford 350 diesel. I questioned why with prices being what they are and she reminded me why I ordered a diesel. So we could pull more with less effort. I guess we just won't be pulling it as far as we planned on.

The nice thing about the midwest is that there are tons of places to go within a reasonable distance. So we drive less and stay longer. We had lost track of why we started doing this and maybe the high cost of diesel will get us back on track. We found a lot of county fairs and great state parks when we could only afford to go so far. It looks like we will be able to re-discover those fun places again.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #89
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Very true...that's what we have largely been doing. Lots of stuff close to home to save fuel. It looks like another one of those years again.
I still need my truck for work, and can write it off along with the fuel costs, but you have still to put the money out there.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #90
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
For us to get back to N. MI for the summer, It will cost us $525 for the truck and $195 for the Park Ave. That is $720 just for the fuel to get there. And that's today's prices. A speculative $5.00 a bbl jump in the price of oil in one day should be a criminal act. Supply and demand is not even the driving force anymore.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #91
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The Flying J site is a good place to get a feel for diesel prices all over the country. I don't think much of New England is included, though.

http://www.flyingj.com/fuel/diesel_CF.cfm?state=ALL
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #92
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
When we're not traveling I don't keep my truck full so that I can keep fresh fuel with the little driving I do around home. Last week I decided to fill it up at $3.43 / gal before the prices went any higher. I'm now seeing $3.79 / gal and it looks like its only up from here. Hopefully, this crazy speculation on fuel futures will be the next bubble to burst. Demand has decreased and supplies are up - this is non-sense!! Independent truckers are taking a big hit as loads go to the lowest bidder. Something has to break and soon.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #93
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
As the value of the dollar goes down, the price of oil will go up. Maybe the first thing to break will be the dollar.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:14 PM   #94
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We try to fuel up at flying J also. Easy access and an xtra penny off with our flying J card. We now have a Chase card that will save us 5% as well. Prices are dropping here for gas, 2.99.9 for regular but diesel is holding at 379.9 with some higher. Of course Chicago is still as high as 429.9.

I also use my truck for work, real estate photography, so I can write off the miles as well but I'd rather pay less than write off more. Sometimes I use my wife's car if I have a lot of miles to travel. It's funny how she always complains that I don't let her drive my truck very much and when she has an opportunity, she still complains. Sound familiar guys(LOL).

I guess if we travel for more than 2 days in any one direction, a night at Walmart will save me enough to buy 6 gals of fuel at Murphy's.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 AM   #95
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
I keep getting the justification for the continued increases is the increased cost of ultra low sulphur production mandated by the Feds. Looks like a lot of BS as the Flying J site shows both low and ultra low selling at the same price. So much for the oil industries continued attempt to justify their obscene profits. Now my Exxon-Mobile dividends won't get enought diesel to get to the granddaughter's B-Day party in Wausau, WI from Mobile, AL. Wonder if they'll increase the dividend so I share in some of those profits or will give the CEO and his co thieves a bigger bonus.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:33 AM   #96
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I don't mean to put a damper on everyone's griping and mumbling, but I think Richfaa has partially hit the solution on the head. A little bit of planning ahead will enable all of us to still have enjoyable times (which is what it is all about anyway). If the price of fuel increases by 25%, then an obvious solution is to find camping opportunities that are 75% closer than the previous year (keep in mind that we are not full-timers). Our first trip for the year will be to a state park that is about 40 miles from the house. At $10.00 a gallon for diesel, we will still be going since the state park is only $25.00 per night for full 50 amp hookups. The opportunities are out there, and the internet is just waiting to help you find them. And remember that no matter how discouraged you get, you can use our situation for levity. Our new Bayliner boat at 2-3 mpg will on average cost us over $200 a fill-up which by my calculations if I was running full speed would enable us to boat for about 6 hours per day. We are all blessed to even have the opportunity to partake of the lifestyle that we have at any monetary cost. Remember those who have given their lives to enable us to enjoy our FREEDOM which includes camping. Remember that if you have clothes, food, and a roof over your head, that you are blessed with being richer than 95% of the population of the world. So, think and be positive, enjoy life, quit murmuring, and keep on enjoying camping!! Looking forward to a great year and the price of fuel will not be allowed to dampen our spirits!!! Will you join me?????
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:45 AM   #97
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I find it strange that our elected officals have spent months investigateing basball players on steroids. Who gives a hoot. When they bring in the big oil executives, its like show and tell, it last about an hour. I thought we had appointed an energy czar? I think the first one was from MI., and did not have a clue about anything that had to do with oil. I think he was just a government poster boy. If we have one he should have been out trying to figure out why back in the late 70's a company called Shamrock Oil which was started by big oil, was going around and closeing up all the small local refineries, like Total in MI. I know there were others in the midwest that were closed by this company. After they closed all the small local refineres they went out of business. That is when all this refineing capacity crap started.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:02 AM   #98
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Bingo, don't take our "therapeutic thread" away from us!

I agree with you that we just need to put our head down, suck it up and plow ahead the best we can. Many, if not most, here though are discouraged/disheartened/outright angry that we can't seem to impact the situation - notwithstanding the entire population slowing down/not traveling near as much/driving more fuel efficient vehicles/changing lifestyle (although some can't change their current mode of transport to work).

It makes it harder when it doesn't seem to make any sense. We slow down. The supply of oil increases. And STILL the price at the pump continues to rise sharply because oil is now being used like gold and the falling dollar is making this the new haven for speculators - although gold, at close to $1,000/oz, is not escaping as the traditional target of such economic reasoning, either.

All in all, we can complain, but do little else. However, am I the only one that feels at least a little release by ranting and raving here? I'll bet not.

With that said, and as opposite as that may seem, I still subscribe to PMA (positive mental attitude) philosophy. I wake up every day and thank God that this is going to be the best day of my life. That works for me.

However, I do enjoy reading these posts here, too...

*On Edit~ Old Turbo, I know exactly what you are talking about. Being an ex- Michigan oilfield engineer, I was saddened by the Total refinery shutdown. I am still not exactly sure of the real reason behind it. I know the price of oil was not near what it is today. Maybe they would have stayed the course if the price would have been a little more lucrative.

What we need is good old American ingenuity. Someone needs to invent a combustion engine that runs strictly on crude oil unrefined. The stuff burns readily enough. Just have to figure out how to contain all the pollutant byproducts.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:14 AM   #99
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dave,
Therapy.....hmmmm. I won't go there. I like the PMA statement and subscibe to it also (re: Bonus Day post made on another thread). On second thought, I can appreciate the release of steam as therapy, but I think instead, I will just go camping, sit by a nice smoky fire, hang bright gawdy Camping World lights from the awning along with the ever ringing wind chimes, enjoy the family, enjoy the moment, there, that will serve as my therapy!!! Ha Ha!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:02 AM   #100
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is of course a complex issue.. In our case our retirement dream was to travel north America enjoying the greatness of the country. We called it "our Great adventure" We are not spring chickens. We do not have unlimited time to live our great adventure. We do have financial restrictions and we must stay within them.The high cost of energy which affects EVERYTHING we do, buy, use has a huge impact on our ability to live our dream.We cut back substantially for 2008. We have cut two RV rallies and about 5K miles off our travel budget thus far.Helen is working at Disney.Our summer adventure is the MOC rally in Gettysburg then tour of the New England states FCRV international rally and the MOC fall rally in Goshen. We plan to spend the winter here in Florida again leaving in November of 2008. I will drive a school bus for about 4 months to help defray the cost. The New England state trip is a cut point and if things get out of control we may spend the winter in Ohio..working so we can travel the following year.Our dream is being taken away from us no matter how well we plan. We will hold on to our great adventure as long as we can. Staying home or camping 50 or 100 miles from our driveway is not OUR great adventure.The truck and 3400 is a means to live our adventure. If we can't live it we do not need them. We should all be seriously looking at how we spend our money, how we use energy, Etc.If your retirement is a few years down the road..plan now.We began our planing process 10 years before we set out on our
adventure and the only reason we are still able to live what is left of it..is because did.Example... We planned in 1996 that By 2006/2007 we would have a new truck, new camper, paid for..No credit card bills, no large financial obligations and be on a pay as we go bases.. We had 10 years to do that and we found a way to do it..We would not be out here now had we not...That was a lot of bus driving folks.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote