Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
oceandansar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17865
what tire ?

First question here. My tow vehicle is an 07 silverado classic cc 2500 hd 4x4 dmax and 6sp allison srw. I put 17" wheels with michelin ltx 265 load range e 3195lbs at 80 psi. Tires on it a few years ago. Was wondering what some of you other single rear wheel guys are running. Wondering if I can get a heavier rated tire in 17"

oceandansar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I went to 17" rims for my truck to help boost the tow ratings after I improved my rear end suspension. Prior to this I found it difficult and expensive to find a properly rated 16" tire. 17" was so much better and most brands have a suitable 17" tire that supports the weight rating I require. My Michelin tires are rated for over 3600 lbs at 80psi.

I would be more concerned that any 3/4 ton pickup can tow your Monty. In 2006 the Ford had the best 5th wheel rating of the big three and I still needed to improve my rear end suspension (installed a 1 ton rear end) to be compliant for my rig, to solve my weight rating for my '06 trailer and you have a '11 which might be even heavier than my '06.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:48 AM   #3
oceandansar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17865
when I bought the truck new in 07 I wanted a one ton single rear wheel but couldn't find one and since I bought the old classic body style for price I had to settle for this truck. It is essentialy the same drive train as a 1 ton just not as heavy duty suspension.If I ever have a rear end failure I will change out for a one ton or possibly a dually rearend. The truck has run flawlessly for me with 138k on the odometer I couldn't be happier with the truck.I was just curious what some of you guys were running for tire size and rating. I just bought a set of hummer wheels and will be looking for some rubber pretty soon probably gonna stick with Michelin just not sure what size right now I'm running 265 70 17. I can go to a 285 without having to adjust the torsion bars (this is what I had before).
Old 10-07-2015, 08:17 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'm running Goodyear Wranglers also at 3195#. I use the Goodyears from Walmart because of the road hazard warranty and the fact that there's usually a Walmart within 60 miles of the places in the boonies we work and camp. Every two years we weigh every wheel on the truck and the trailer and both together and that's always been more than enough tire for what we weigh.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
ckwizard
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14704
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oceandansar

when I bought the truck new in 07 I wanted a one ton single rear wheel but couldn't find one and since I bought the old classic body style for price I had to settle for this truck. It is essentialy the same drive train as a 1 ton just not as heavy duty suspension.If I ever have a rear end failure I will change out for a one ton or possibly a dually rearend. The truck has run flawlessly for me with 138k on the odometer I couldn't be happier with the truck.I was just curious what some of you guys were running for tire size and rating. I just bought a set of hummer wheels and will be looking for some rubber pretty soon probably gonna stick with Michelin just not sure what size right now I'm running 265 70 17. I can go to a 285 without having to adjust the torsion bars (this is what I had before).
The only differance between a 1-ton and your truck for your year is the spring pack.
The axle is the same, no differance at all.
ckwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #6
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ckwizard

The only differance between a 1-ton and your truck for your year is the spring pack.
The axle is the same, no differance at all.
That's fine, now check your GCW with the GCWR.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
You might check at Costco as I just replaced my old Michelin's with new Michelin's made for Costco. They had a two or three hundred pound higher rating than the regular Michelin and were a bit cheaper. I figured it was just a bit more insurance for towing the Montana.

Tom Marty
Old 10-08-2015, 03:42 AM   #8
oceandansar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17865
Ive been in the auto repair ie: collision repair for over 40 years and tires have always boggled my mind. I see d rated tires with lower psi have higher weight capacity than e rated tires with higher psi. I have talked to alot of guys in the tire business and they have never been able to give me a resonable answer. Thanks for the info on the rearend I figured it was the same just not 100%.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:48 AM   #9
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
tirerack.com is a good place to look at tires and the weights.

you can usually go up one size without any problem but check with a tire dealer.

I go with firestone, i like their 'free' interest when you open an acct.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:11 AM   #10
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Have been looking at new tires as well as the fronts started to go south at 27k miles. After I found out that there were lots of complaints registered on them, went to tiresize.com and treaddepot.com for my tire data and reviews. For me, just a question of two or six. john
Old 10-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #11
jloftice
Established Member

M.O.C. #13211
I have 2012 Ram 2500 with Michelin load range E LT tires. 60 psi in the fronts and 70 in the rears per the owners manual. Never a problem out of them. Put almost 100,000 miles on a set on a Toyota Land Cruiser so I'm sold on them.

As for the Montana. They shouldn't leave the factory on a load range E tire as ours did. Got maybe 2000 miles on them before blowing a left front tire. The trailer wiggled and squirmed nonstop with the Goodyear Marathon E's at 80 psi the trailer came with. I upgraded to Goodyear G614 RST's after the blowout. What a transformation. Trailer is now solid as a rock even in winds and when 18 wheelers blow by. These big Montana's shouldn't leave the factory without them. Friend of mine has a Redwood 5th wheel that also came with E load range tires. They blew a tire this spring on 70 mile trip. It did so much damage to the unit they still don't have it back
jloftice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #12
gearhead

M.O.C. #14281
I have 22 inch Michelins on a 2013 f350 SRW. I had 45,000 miles on them when I just bumped into a deal at Discount Tire. Michelin take offs with maybe 200 miles on them for $150 each. Full warranty like new ones. I could have gotten a few more miles out of the first set, but couldn't pass up the deal.
Y'all be carefully putting those G rated tires on the factory wheels. Be sure they are rated for the pressure. They likey aren't.
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote