Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2004, 03:51 PM   #1
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
Ford dually diesel questions

I wanted to get my tires rotated and have found out that the inner rear rims are steel so you have to get your tires taken off rims to rotate. I wanted to put the rear inner tires on the front because they still look almost new. All that the dealer does is rotate the outer tires and never moves the inner rear ones so they hardly wear. What do you all do for tire rotation on your dually? Also I was told by the Ford Dealer at the last oil change that I need to change my gas and air filter but it had been changed the oil change before last, around 7,000 miles. Do they need changed that often or are they just trying to make some easy $$$ ?

5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:35 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
5er,
The owners manual indicates that all the wheels should be rotated. I have not yet rotated mine. I was aware of the insides being steel. I assume that I'll have them ALL rotated when the time comes. I change my air filter about every other oil change. So about 7k would be about right. But I always inspect the filter and ANY time it appears too dirty I put in a new one. As for the fuel filter.... I haven't changed mine and it has a little over 20k on it. I plan to have a new one put on at the next servicing which will be in about a week.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thank for the posting. happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 01:22 AM   #4
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
5er,I change my fuel filter about every 15,000 miles or every third oil change. It is real simple and only takes a few minutes. The first time my ford dealer changed it and charged me $85. Now I buy the filter at a local parts store for $32 and do it myself. I have not changed the air filter yet. I need to check it.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:49 AM   #5
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
5ER , I dont rotate the rears, just the front side to side, I have the same with the steel inner wheels and alum outer wheels, There has been a Lot of discussion on this and you may get a lot of feedback, but I just run the rears as is and replace the fronts when they need it. The rears should wear evenly together, as long as the same air pressure is maintained in each tire ,I think the Ford owners manual says every 5000 miles on the oil change and 15K on the fuel filters. If you know your fuel sources are clean, then the 15K fuel filter change is not out of the question, I do mine very other oil change and the oil change interval is 5K miles.
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:42 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
5er I rotate all 6 of my tires and get them ballanced every year, It's free for me seeing that I purchased my tires from that dealer I paid an extra 30.00 and received a lifetime rotation and ballance, so I do take advantage of it as often as possable. as for the oil change I was told at the time of purchase every 3000 miles for the Desil and a filter. 13 quarts I believe. the fuel filter I do every year and get the filter from NAPA Auto parts 20.00 a dealer is almost twice that amount. I do not know if you have the V10 or the desil, but the V10 you have a specal tool to remove the fuel filter so my son tells me ( he just had it done by his dealer) I do not know if that is true but it sounds like something Ford would do to keep the work in house. I think the most inportant is the oil changes and fuel filters, I did miss the fuel one time and the filter container was real durty that wont happen again to me. good luck and happy motering.

TT2
Old 08-14-2004, 05:22 PM   #7
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
Can somebody tell me where the fuel filter might be located on my F350 Diesel? Thanks, and what does it look like?, Thanks again.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 05:19 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Fuel filter for the desil is at the front of the moter under the black lift up thing dont know what they call it but you lift it up and it's under there. get your filter and I use a piece of plywood as a wide blade screwdriver to unscrew the filter cap. Clean it out real good put in the new stuff and button it up. have fun .

TT2