Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Planning trip to Oregon then down pacific coast hw

Looking for any help, advice, suggestions. Wife and I are in very early stages of planning a trip to Oregon. Leaving SLC Ut., up through Idaho, along Columbia river. Once in Oregon we would like to stay along the coast to enjoy some of the campgrounds, RV parks.We would continue south along the coast as much as we can. I have read some discussions pro and con to pulling a 5er down the coast.Is this possible with out regretting the decision to do this. Is there an alternate route to take with out giving up the experience of the pacific coast highway.Any info would be welcome. Thanks

09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
air bags,, 50 gallon Titan Pace Edwards bed cover, TST 507-FT
Keith Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
Been up and down the Oregon coast numerous times pulling the 5er...no problems what so ever...enen down the California ooast too. You will enjoy the trip.
tanner1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There is no reason to fear Hwy-101 along the Oregon Coast. I tow the Montana up and down that road a couple of times each year. North to south is the best route for views and turnouts as they are all on your side of the road.

WA is also a good route to tow on. CA has a few areas that you might want to avoid (S.F., Big Sur, etc.) but you aren't going there.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Towing the 101 is NO issue. We just did. You can check my maps of the trip on my blog. See sig line for link to blog. Then look for the tabs near the top of the page to see maps. Posts of this trip are coming. Sometime. Yep a bit behind. Have fun it is a great trip.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Walk in the Park! we got a 39 ft Monty and never have a problem driving down HWY 101, we live in Olympia,WA and go down 101 every year down the WA and Oregon coast it is Beautiful and a lot of nice Campgrounds We like staying at Winchester Bay Rv near Florence
Old 08-14-2013, 01:14 AM   #6
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
Hi,
No problem at all pulling your FW along 101. What we like to do is park at any number of Oregon State Parks (http://www.oregonstateparks.org/) and explore the Oregon coast - one of the most beautiful anywhere - and turn into every little turn-off that goes west - you'll find wonderful little nooks and places to enjoy fabulous views and beach. Enjoy!!
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #7
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Is it possible to do this trip without reservations at CG's? I seem to remember that CG's are full a lot. My trip would be starting out in MI around the end of July and pretty much straight out to Washington and down the coast.

Thanks
Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:30 AM   #8
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Hope you have plenty of time because there are so many sights along the coast. Check out our travel journal to see what we did a few years ago. I would go back ASAP but it is a bit of a haul from San Antonio. Have a great trip! Others can advise on the reservation issue.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:31 AM   #9
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

Is it possible to do this trip without reservations at CG's? I seem to remember that CG's are full a lot. My trip would be starting out in MI around the end of July and pretty much straight out to Washington and down the coast.
We traveled from the San Diego area all the way up and then back down the coast to Portland, then inland along the Columbia River, Mt. Hood, Crater Lake, then back to the Northern California coast. We never made reservations, because we don't travel on a schedule. If we like an area we'll stay, if not, we move on.

At worst, I'll use a KOA guide or Woodall's to see what's available in in area I plan to visit. I might call or check on the Internet for availability. Some gorgeous areas (esp. state parks) may not accept reservations, so we try to be there right on time when camping opens to first come, first served (which has served us well - we've always gotten in).
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:08 AM   #10
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Thanks so much to everyone for all the great info, WOW I am ready to hook up and go now! We have been talking about this trip for years, and now the planning will begin. Crater Lake will also be on the list of places to visit If anyone has stayed at any notable places along the coast and would like to share this info I am all ears.
Thanks again to everyone with all this awesome input!!
09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
Old 08-14-2013, 04:35 AM   #11
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
When you go to Crater Lake, make sure you go in the morning. When I was there last year, I went in the morning. When I was leaving the line of cars lined up to get in was all the way back to the main road going into the park.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We are also notorious for planning ahead by calling several hours out. Sometimes 12 to 24 hours.

We did not stay at any state or national parks. We visit them but just do not feel like fussing with the advance reservations and/or small sites. It's a personal thing. We were smoked a few times and had to go into a park or second choice. Funny most of those second choice parks ended up working quite well for us.

The coast line cannot be hurried. Take as much time as you can. You will not regret it.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Oregon, and Washington to some extent, has wonderful State Parks with full hookups and which will accommodate the largest Montana. While they do hold out a few sites for the no-reservation type, you will be better off with reservations at that time of year. Particularly if you want some of the better sites. There are lots of choices, but here are places I stay at along the coast.

Winchester Bay RV Resort - A County Park 20 miles north of Coos Bay. Try for sites 51-66 and 119-123.
http://www.winchesterbayrvresort.com/

South Beach State Park at Newport, OR -
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/inde...age&parkId=149

Fort Stevens State Park near Astoria, WA -
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/inde...age&parkId=129

Grayland State Park south of Westport, WA - Try for sites 64-113 (no sewer) near the beach.
http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selec...ayland%20Beach

If you are going to visit Crater Lake, the RV Park of choice for the MOC crowd is Diamond Lake RV Park - http://www.diamondlakervpark.com/

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Great beach area at Oceanside RV PArk in Charleston, OR (Coos Bay). Not actually on beach, but a 75 foot hike thru the dunes to the best beach I have seen. The campground people said the beach stays clean without anyone raking up the seaweed or anything - and it was CLEAN. Kind of in a cove.
Also, Sea and Sand RV in Depoe Bay has great view on a terraced hill. If you can get a back in at the front, your big rear window will overlook the beach about 150 feet away and down about 50 feet.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:46 AM   #15
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
We do the Ca to Washington trip down the coast every year and have had a great time. We never make reservation much more than 4 hours in advance, never know when we will want to stop and for how long. But we are very flexible and not much on complaining. We just go with the flow and enjoy what comes are way.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #16
Kimo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13238
We just returned from our two week 2000 mile trip down the Oregon coast. Absolutely beautiful! We made reservations 4 months in advance and still could not get into a couple of RV parks (Oceanside in Charleston was one of them). Sea & Sand RV south of Lincoln City was right on the beach and I would highly recommend a terrace site if available. Seal Rock RV Cove was nice but be sure to request an ocean view site, out site "15" had a full view of Seal Rock and the beach. You do have to cross the hi way for direct access to the beach. Safe travels!
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #17
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We will be at Seal Rock Cove RV 9/12-9/18- then Brookings Harbor RV the following week, then back up to Silver Spurs in Silverton.
Thanks for the lead on Seal Rock Cove.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Keith Schweizer

Thanks so much to everyone for all the great info, WOW I am ready to hook up and go now! We have been talking about this trip for years, and now the planning will begin. Crater Lake will also be on the list of places to visit If anyone has stayed at any notable places along the coast and would like to share this info I am all ears.
Thanks again to everyone with all this awesome input!!
Keep in mind the full rim drive for Crater Lake can be a very short season. Late Spring snow can keep it closed until Summer, and then early Fall snow can close it pretty early in the year.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
A BIG THANK YOU! to everyone for all the GREAT info. I am in the process of checking out all the great places suggested.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #20
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Our two cents is on the Oregon state parks. We stayed last year at Harris Beach, Joseph H Stewart (We did Crater Lake from there), Bullards Beach, South Beach, Nahallem Bay, and Ft Stevens. We pretty much liked them all, although Ft Stevens was a bit too crowded. Summer reservations are a must! We would have spent more time in each park if we could have, but the most we could get most places was 4 to 5 nights each. That's why we stayed in so many different ones. Never used any private campgrounds on that the Oregon portion of our trip, and next tome out there we will do the same.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote