Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
pchaas
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vandalia
Posts: 132
M.O.C. #634
Black tank flush

How often do you flush the tank and how long do you let the fresh water run?
 
pchaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fayetteville
Posts: 4,200
M.O.C. #11401
Every dump. Until clear.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: McKinney
Posts: 6,068
M.O.C. #6433
Same as Larry, every dump and run flush until I see nothing but clear water coming out.

I have found that after the tank completely drains, if I close the valve with the flush water still flowing, letting the tank fill somewhat, then open the valve again, I will see some more solids come out. So usually on the last dump before we leave an RV park I will do the valve open, drain, valve closed, partial fill, valve open, drain, valve closed, partial fill, etc. routine several times to get as good total flush as I can.
__________________
Bill & Patricia

2007 3075RL
2012 F350 SRW CC LB FX4 6.7
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Omaha
Posts: 6,375
M.O.C. #7560
Paul and Carol-- As Larry and Bill have said everytime you dump the black tank. As one of our members stresses "Use plenty of water when using or filling the black tank and it helps
When we dump, I flush the black tank at least three times OR until the water flows clear. I turn the flush on when dumping, then close the black tank dump valve and let the flush run in the tank approximately 5-7 minutes then pull the dump handle again and let it clear again and then repeat the process usually about 3 more times to make sure the black tank is clear and any solids. We use Happy Camper tank cleaner and deoderizer and it has worked like a champ for us over the past four years or so for us! Just remember to use a lot of water when using the convenience and it will help alot!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Benson
Posts: 3,112
M.O.C. #1658
All good advice, however, if you turn the flush on with the dump valve closed, DON'T forget it. It's messy, not to mention embarrasing
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Hartselle
Posts: 977
M.O.C. #45
We do as others plus we fill the commode full 3 times. You would be surprised what else comes loose that way.
Larry
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team
 
DQDick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wilsey
Posts: 18,097
M.O.C. #11455
We flush every dump, but I never close the valve with the flush running. I just let it run another three or four minutes after it's clear. If a present shows up during that time then I give it another three or four minutes. I never trust that I won't get distracted.
__________________
Dick, Joyce, Diego, Picatso and Gustav
2017 3720 RL, and 2013 HC 343RL
2017 3500 Dodge Maxi DRW 4X4, Pullrite Hitch, IS, Disk Brakes, 3rd AC, Winegard Traveler, Bathroom door mod, Dometic 320, couch for desk swap, etc.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Bern
Posts: 4,202
M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I do what Rondo does and I also do several power flushes by filling the toilet and flushing.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master
 
WeBeFulltime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hixson
Posts: 3,357
M.O.C. #11397
Flush ours every other dump. We are full timing so no danger of anything getting too dry.
__________________
2018.5 Montana 3791RD


Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: K.C.
Posts: 11,731
M.O.C. #5980
I carry an egg timer around in my hand, set it on 7 minutes, then open the drain. I tried the microwave timer, but didn't trust myself to hear it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:29 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winfield
Posts: 7,327
M.O.C. #6846
There are two predominant ways to flush the black tank with the on-board flusher. One is to follow the instructions provided with the unit and to always leave the dump valve open when flushing until the discharge is clear (use a clear elbow at the hose hookup). The other is to bypass the instructions (which is the way we do it) and close the dump valve and allow the black tank to fill. The advantage of this method is the dump valve and pipe as well as the bottom of the tank now has the tank head (engineering term for depth of water above a point) working to assist with the flushing process. This allows for a more thorough, higher velocity flush than just using the sprayer. We also use the previously mentioned clear elbow at the end of the dump valve pipe so we can monitor the flushing results. As Ozz mentioned the magic number here is about seven minutes (I am not that brave and typically use five) to allow the tank to fill. If you go this route, do not get distracted, use some kind of timer, do not get distracted, and in case I forgot to mention it, do not get distracted. Using this process, it typically takes us four or five "flushes" to get clear discharge. Oh, and lest I forget, do not get distracted, hence you may be subjected to the dreaded "black rain" effect from the roof area or even worse, the potential for a flooded bathroom if your system has any leaks.
Bingo
__________________

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #12
lasater
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Rapid City
Posts: 739
M.O.C. #77
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

All good advice, however, if you turn the flush on with the dump valve closed, DON'T forget it. It's messy, not to mention embarrasing
Yep. Robin Williams showed us that trick in "RV".
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #13
Wiesehan
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Claypool
Posts: 278
M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I also dump a couple of buckets of water down the stool while the flush system is running, it usually brings out more "stuff" then wait until it runs clear.
Don
__________________
SOB Curt 25 K 5th wheel hitch
2012 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Long Horn
RDS 60 gallon fuel tank, air lift air bags
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #14
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 729
M.O.C. #3206
The bottom line is you can not use too much water to flush the stool and/or the black holding tank- I am addicted to hand held solitare and the game is my "timer" for dumping- I am with those who close the valve and refill the black tank several times every time I dump- I sit in my lawn chair as the process is completed- Might as well enjoy a distasteful job- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
pchaas
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vandalia
Posts: 132
M.O.C. #634
OK gents and ladies, I think I got it. I need to start doing it more often than once a week, other than that I have been doing about the same as all of you. Thank you all, I know I can count on this site for info. as I have for years now.
pchaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
moutard2
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location:
Posts: 724
M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

I never trust that I won't get distracted.
Walmart sell a really good timer for $5 which I use every time I close the valve while the saniflush is running. After the 7 minutes I program, the thing yells at me and I release the valve. Invaluable!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 AM   #17
simonsrf
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Box Elder
Posts: 3,707
M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

There are two predominant ways to flush the black tank with the on-board flusher. One is to follow the instructions provided with the unit and to always leave the dump valve open when flushing until the discharge is clear (use a clear elbow at the hose hookup). The other is to bypass the instructions (which is the way we do it) and close the dump valve and allow the black tank to fill. The advantage of this method is the dump valve and pipe as well as the bottom of the tank now has the tank head (engineering term for depth of water above a point) working to assist with the flushing process. This allows for a more thorough, higher velocity flush than just using the sprayer. We also use the previously mentioned clear elbow at the end of the dump valve pipe so we can monitor the flushing results. As Ozz mentioned the magic number here is about seven minutes (I am not that brave and typically use five) to allow the tank to fill. If you go this route, do not get distracted, use some kind of timer, do not get distracted, and in case I forgot to mention it, do not get distracted. Using this process, it typically takes us four or five "flushes" to get clear discharge. Oh, and lest I forget, do not get distracted, hence you may be subjected to the dreaded "black rain" effect from the roof area or even worse, the potential for a flooded bathroom if your system has any leaks.
Bingo
Becoming distracted could be justifiable grounds for divorce.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #18
lostshakerofsalt
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming
Posts: 313
M.O.C. #10012
The five to seven minute rule is pretty good. Depending on the water pressure going into the flush connection in my opinion you may get too much water in the tank. I close the dump valve and listen for the sound of the water discharge from the flush tube to go silent. That means that the water level in the tank has risen high enough to cover the flush tube. Then I open the valve. I too repeat the process until the water run clear.
__________________
Steve and Diane Pena
SOB Owner
2014 F-350 Dually Diesel
Home is where we park it
lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #19
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Olympia
Posts: 410
M.O.C. #9671
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

There are two predominant ways to flush the black tank with the on-board flusher. One is to follow the instructions provided with the unit and to always leave the dump valve open when flushing until the discharge is clear (use a clear elbow at the hose hookup). The other is to bypass the instructions (which is the way we do it) and close the dump valve and allow the black tank to fill. The advantage of this method is the dump valve and pipe as well as the bottom of the tank now has the tank head (engineering term for depth of water above a point) working to assist with the flushing process. This allows for a more thorough, higher velocity flush than just using the sprayer. We also use the previously mentioned clear elbow at the end of the dump valve pipe so we can monitor the flushing results. As Ozz mentioned the magic number here is about seven minutes (I am not that brave and typically use five) to allow the tank to fill. If you go this route, do not get distracted, use some kind of timer, do not get distracted, and in case I forgot to mention it, do not get distracted. Using this process, it typically takes us four or five "flushes" to get clear discharge. Oh, and lest I forget, do not get distracted, hence you may be subjected to the dreaded "black rain" effect from the roof area or even worse, the potential for a flooded bathroom if your system has any leaks.
Bingo
Now you tell me.....I got distracted once, I thought a Bomb went off and the whole trailer shook. Had quite a mess to clean up. But now I use the timer on my i-phone. So yes "Never let yourself get distracted".
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
simonsrf
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Box Elder
Posts: 3,707
M.O.C. #3120
You really have to tip-toe around for a few days if your get distracted twice.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
black tank flush Don57 Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help 4 01-05-2015 03:16 AM
Black tank flush bjj5633 Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help 14 09-09-2009 07:06 PM
Black Tank Flush 2-in-the-woods Repairs & Service 5 05-09-2008 04:48 AM
Black Tank Flush CamperDave Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help 1 11-21-2005 12:39 PM
Black tank flush jerryb Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help 0 09-15-2003 03:20 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.