Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #21
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
One of the IT professionals at Rochester Institute of Technology has developed this website and procedure that cleans PC's. All the software is free. I've used the procedure several times with success.
http://securitytango.com/

Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #22
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Ozz,
If you registered Norton, you can probably re-install it online. I had some sort of problem once, and I called them and they took over my computer and downloaded a complete re-install.
I have another computer also, and being the 'El Cheapo' that is me, I run AVG antivirus since it is free. It seems to work okay.
I tried McAffee when the Norton subscription ran out, but after a few days or so, put Norton back on as McAffee mad the computer very slow, or so it seemed.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:47 AM   #23
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I just dropped Norton to try Microsoft Security Essentials as you can't have both running. Heard a lot of good out of Microsoft Security Essentials and decided to give it a try seeings though Norton was about ready to hit me up for more cash. We will see. Good luck Ozz on your puter, hope you get it back soon.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #24
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I think the question was also asked in the post on what was being used for puter protection. I use Kaspersky Commercial Anti-virus, then I added a freeby called Spybot Search & Destroy. This arrangement works good for me.....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #25
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
The people who write these virus are very clever. The virus can be attached almost anywhere on your system including hidden files and now even data files. They have been known to attach these virus in several spots so if you find and remove one, you're not necesarily "clean". Many proclaim to be able to eradicate systems once they become infected. IMHO, there is only one fool proof method to be 100% sure that the virus is gone: Format your hard disk. I realize that this is very time consuming and perhaps a litte over cautious, but it truly the best way to know your system is clean.

Anti-virus software helps but behavior is the most important tool. As Ozz found out, clicking on a link can run an executable. These clever guys can make sure the anti-virus software won't stop the program. Links and attachments are the way they get you to run a program that installs the virus or malware. There are many tools to remove them once executed. I personally don't trust any of them.

I have done this for my office computers more times than I care to count. PM me if you'd like help and a step by step list of how to format and restore. It's time consuming but the benefit is that your system will run like new again.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I appreciate all the input from you all, I just got back with my 'puter and it is as good as new now
As a matter of fact, it is faster than it ever was.
The Tech told me they had 4 of the viruses like mine in this week. They run a complete system scrub, he said they got it all and do this all the time, so not to worry. $69.00.
It's good to have the old gal back...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #27
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
I have been running Command for years afer being advised that McAfee and Norton are prety much at the bottom of the list.
Was thinking about trying COMODO as it is suppose to be highly rated, anyone heard of them?
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #28
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I've used Trend Titanium Internet Security for several years with good results. It's not a resourses hog like McAfee. It auto updates several times a week with little to no interference to what I'm doing.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #29
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
There's an old IT saying that goes something like this....
"The only completely secure computer is one with no storage capability that is filled with concrete."
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #30
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ly/macbook_pro
the end, Amen!

...been using them in family, including sons in high school and college, wife's business with six employees using computer, and home and RV for 25 years, and have never had a crash, virus, disruption, infection, shut-down, file corruption, etc.
..and the first one we bought still runs.none have ever been to the 'shop' for repair.

OS system updates and the occasional battery is all we have ever done to any of these machines. As for the price, i have spent far less on computers than family members and friends who have tried to keep PCs running through the years.

we have mac book pros, iPhones, iPads, and iMacs.

I will never own a windows/microsoft product. .. suffered with them at work for 32 years
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #31
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Glad to see your computer is fixed.
I think you did ok on it!
Old 02-11-2012, 03:22 AM   #32
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
The IT profession is just another collateral enterprise created By Bill Gates's business model. Networks built on Apple computers do not require IT professionals. One of my sons works in the video/audio production business. Their networks integrate huge storage capabilities that are linked cross-country with filming and recording locations to editing studios in California and Canada. Their in-office MAC Pros are capable of multi-terabyte storage capacity. All of their company business and global networking along with film and sound editing is done on these computers. Emails, huge movie file transfers (global transfers), internet surfing, is all done from the same network. Their "IT Professional" buys and plugs in equipment--end of story. You will not find Microsoft/windows hardware in that business for many reasons, one being they cannot afford to corrupt files that are multi million dollar film productions.When I was pre-retired, I would often take work home or transfer files home. The MAC versions of microsoft office applications that I used at home,often 'debugged' the files that were sent from my office.

The Anti-virus business is also another collateral enterprise created by the Bill Gates model! and most viruses are created by hackers working for McAfee, Norton, Clean-PC and others.

There is nothing that successfully executes what you bought it for like an Apple product!

There is nothing that is designed to be dis-functional as part of the business model of planned-obscelecance and collateral enterprise, like a Windows/Microsoft computer.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #33
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I've been using PC for years,I just bought my first iMac a year ago now I have both. I'll never buy another PC again,it's Mac all the way for me. I'm waitting to replace my laptop with the iPad 3 when it comes out. ONCE YOU TRY MAC YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK! Go Apple!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #34
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
AMEN! Jumpin' Jack!
Old 02-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #35
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
We all have opinions and like the subject of what is the best oil for your engine, the PC/MAC discussion is sure to be a lively discussion. Users are passionate on both sides of the fence.
I've always used PCs (though I just bought a iPad2 this year)and have been an IT professional for over 17 years (and am proud of the work I have done).
Apple has made great strides in the past couple of years and has progressed beyond the utilitarian systems that they sold to many school systems for years. During that time, their users were locked into using a small offering of proprietary software and hardware that was unable to interface with mainstream computing. I'm glad they are doing better.
You say that "most viruses are created by hackers working for McAfee, Norton, Clean-PC and others". Please post a link to the source for this information, I'd like to read the article(s). I do network security for a living and these companies have not been identified as threat sources based on advisories and bulletins that I receive from highly credible sources.
Thanks for posting your perspective.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fauch

The IT profession is just another collateral enterprise created By Bill Gates's business model. Networks built on Apple computers do not require IT professionals. One of my sons works in the video/audio production business. Their networks integrate huge storage capabilities that are linked cross-country with filming and recording locations to editing studios in California and Canada. Their in-office MAC Pros are capable of multi-terabyte storage capacity. All of their company business and global networking along with film and sound editing is done on these computers. Emails, huge movie file transfers (global transfers), internet surfing, is all done from the same network. Their "IT Professional" buys and plugs in equipment--end of story. You will not find Microsoft/windows hardware in that business for many reasons, one being they cannot afford to corrupt files that are multi million dollar film productions.When I was pre-retired, I would often take work home or transfer files home. The MAC versions of microsoft office applications that I used at home,often 'debugged' the files that were sent from my office.

The Anti-virus business is also another collateral enterprise created by the Bill Gates model! and most viruses are created by hackers working for McAfee, Norton, Clean-PC and others.

There is nothing that successfully executes what you bought it for like an Apple product!

There is nothing that is designed to be dis-functional as part of the business model of planned-obscelecance and collateral enterprise, like a Windows/Microsoft computer.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #36
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
Definition of Complicant
Comīpli`cant
a. 1. (Zool.) Overlapping, as the elytra of certain beetles.

Let's just say that new viruses are the most important part of Symantec's business.
...and are the motivator for the consumer/purchaser
..and I'll have nothing to do with a product that is so dependent on such 'collateral enterprises' that still can't protect you from what happened to OZZ.

Opinions about APPLE products are shared by many:
As of July 2011, Apple has 357 retail stores in ten countries,[5] and an online store.[6] It is the largest publicly traded company in the world by market capitalization,[7] overtopping ExxonMobil by some $60 billion, as well as the largest technology company in the world by revenue and profit, worth more than Google and Microsoft combined.

Our Business

Symantec is a global provider of security, storage, and systems management solutions that help businesses and consumers secure and manage their information. We provide customers worldwide with software and services that protect, manage and control information risks related to security, data protection, storage, compliance, and systems management. We help our customers manage cost, complexity, and compliance by protecting their IT infrastructure as they seek to maximize value from their IT investments.

Our Operating Segments

Our operating segments are significant strategic business units that offer different products and services, distinguished by customer needs. Since the fourth quarter of fiscal 2008, we have operated in five operating segments:
Consumer, Security and Compliance, Storage and Server Management, Services, and Other. During the first quarter of fiscal year 2012, we modified our segment reporting structure to more readily match our operating structure. For further descriptions of our operating segments, see Note 11 of the Notes to Condensed Consolidated Financial Statements in this quarterly report. Our reportable segments are the same as our operating segments.

Financial Results and Trends

Revenue increased by $111 million and $532 million for the three and nine months ended December 30, 2011 as compared to the same periods last year. As more fully described below in "Results of Operations", we experienced growth across all segments except for the Services and the Other segment. We also experienced a favorable foreign exchange effect on our international revenue of approximately $8 million and $158 million for the three and nine months ended December 30, 2011 as compared to the same periods last year.

Our salaries and wages expense increased by $48 million and $230 million for the three and nine months ended December 30, 2011 as compared to the same periods last year. The higher salaries and wages are primarily attributable to an increase in the number of employees to support growth in our business. We also experienced an adverse foreign exchange effect on our expenses of approximately $1 million and $81 million for the three and nine months ended December 30, 2011, respectively, as compared to the same periods last year. Our net income was $240 million and $613 million for the three and nine months ended December 30, 2011, respectively.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #37
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Jim,

Did the tech say which virus it was?
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #38
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Pat!
The Virus that hides all the Icons and won't let you use your computer Virus...
Actually that is about what they said.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #39
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I bought a pc years ago from a local store that sets up office networks etc. and was advised to purchase what is now called Trend Micro antivirus, not cheap and a yearly renewal fee but I have never had a virus problem. Works in the background but you can see what it has caught and quarantined which is done in case it's something you want I guess.
My current solution is an Apple iPad, will not have to buy antivirus programs so it will pay for it selfe in a few years. I don't plan on purchasing anything but Apple products from now on. They have their act together as far as I am concerned.

I worked in electronics all my life until I retired and these guys know what they are doing but you pay for it.
Sent from my iPad
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote