Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A/C airflow Mod.

The air distribution system in these trailers is just horrible. I pulled a vent cover and looked it over, the vent sleeve sticks up half-way into the main run, how we get any useful air out of it is amazing. All of them need to be cut in half, so they don't block airflow. When it is hot, (you are not in Colorado..) anyway, we like to run the back air because it is quiet up in the bedroom, but the living room freezes. I bought 9 new dampered vent assemblies, they rotate just like the original for airflow direction. I added 4 vents, and cut all the sleeves in half. It will work as good as possible with the ducting now.

Slide-show:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue1...eat=directlink

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Like that . I'll start workinng on mine asap.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Ozz:

Where did you get the dampered vents?
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pbahlin

Ozz:

Where did you get the dampered vents?
www.dyersonline.com Do a search 4" round registers

I put one in the bathroom works great. Thanks Ozz I will e cutting tomarrow.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
These are 5" vents and dampers, my 3400 RL has 5", you might measure yours.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Thanks for the correction Ozz. I was guessing, did the switch last year.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I guessed at first, almost ordered the 4" myself, not like me at all to double check, I got a tape measure, was glad I did.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Great idea and advice Ozz! I need the dampers especially for the Boss. I can't get enough air and a little is too much for her! Will also pare down the vent sleeve as well.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hmmmm... I'll have to check that out. I didn't think those vents had flanges that deep. That'll teach me for trusting engineering again.

Since the flange is screwed into place, in cutting the flange to make it shorter, if I could get away with also cutting the edge of the flange that faces towards the A/C unit even lower so that the "back of the flange" actually acts as a diverter and blows more air downwards at each damper.

Should I even try this Ozz or would it just not make that much difference or would that make it worse for the vents farther downstream? What do you think? For example, cut one side about 1/2 way and the A/C side about 3/4 or more so the air bounces off the larger flange and downwards? I hope I am explaining myself correctly so you understand what I'm getting at.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:47 AM   #10
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Hi Guys, If anyone is interested in Ozz's mod here as far as cutting additional vent holes, you can buy an 18 piece hole saw kit at Harbor Freight for about 10 bucks. The kit includes a 5". Here is the link.
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piec...set-94665.html
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:54 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The air delivery system is pressurized, the entire ducting system is the same size run, they have engineered the system for equal airflow to each vent, so scooping the air for each vent probably would not help in the 'big picture'. Usually, we stage the ducting large main run, decreasing smaller as the length goes on. This system is like blowing into a plastic bag, then poking 10 small holes in the bag, all the air coming out of these holes will be the same velocity and quantity.
Good find on the hole saw pricing. It will make this job economically possible.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:57 AM   #12
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Ozz, that mod sounds great. I think I'll just get one dampened vent, for the meat locker of a bathroom. It could stand a little less air flow which in my case would divert more to the bedroom's single outlet. The rest of the outlets I'll trim the rings as you suggested. Running the second air in the bedroom at night is very noisy.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Gee, I thought I was the only one who carried tin snips in the RV (ya just never know)...

How many of your tools did you carry to Colorado, Jim?
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #14
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Here is another place to order the vents from too.

http://dwincorp.com/index.php?cPath=...df9bf6cbdbee90
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by patbarton

Gee, I thought I was the only one who carried tin snips in the RV (ya just never know)...

How many of your tools did you carry to Colorado, Jim?
Ha! A question one could probably accurately guess the answer to
Well, a full tool-box in the RV, along with 2 big plastic containers of electrical parts, screws, bolts and assorted hardware. An impact tool, 120 volt, along with 3 assorted socket sets, breaker bar, 1/2" and 3/8" ratchets, extensions, & big cheater bar. (For stubborn lug nuts.) Truck: 2 drill bags, one a 1/2" hammer drill with bits, large drill set, one 3/8" drill with a set of drills and a screw container; assorted screws and handy stuff.. a large full tool-bag, 2 small screw guns, sheet metal tools, a A/C set of gages, a grinder bag with hand grinder, cut-off wheels, sanding disc's, battery sawzall and assorted blades, and a new 5" hole-saw.... plus other stuff I can't think of right now.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #16
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I would expect no less of a craftsman... retired or not!

[/quote]Ha! A question one could probably accurately guess the answer to
Well, a full tool-box in the RV, along with 2 big plastic containers of electrical parts, screws, bolts and assorted hardware. An impact tool, 120 volt, along with 3 assorted socket sets, breaker bar, 1/2" and 3/8" ratchets, extensions, & big cheater bar. (For stubborn lug nuts.) Truck: 2 drill bags, one a 1/2" hammer drill with bits, large drill set, one 3/8" drill with a set of drills and a screw container; assorted screws and handy stuff.. a large full tool-bag, 2 small screw guns, sheet metal tools, a A/C set of gages, a grinder bag with hand grinder, cut-off wheels, sanding disc's, battery sawzall and assorted blades, and a new 5" hole-saw.... plus other stuff I can't think of right now.
[/quote]
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #17
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I just did the airflow mod, easy to do. I still am going to get an adjustable vent for the bathroom. Anyhow, while I was removing and trimming the vent rings, I used an inspection mirror to look into the duct runs. They are full of manufacturing debris like screws, sawdust, larger wood chips etc. just like the floor vents were. So, I didn't have my shop vac with me, but I will make up a flexible hose to slide down the ducts to vacuum the junk out. Last time I used a 1 1/2 " plastic drain hose and duct taped it to the shop vac hose. It worked for the floor vents so it should work for the ceiling vents. Not that it is a big deal, but I'd just like to get that junk out of the vents.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nosticks

I just did the airflow mod, easy to do. I still am going to get an adjustable vent for the bathroom. Anyhow, while I was removing and trimming the vent rings, I used an inspection mirror to look into the duct runs. They are full of manufacturing debris like screws, sawdust, larger wood chips etc. just like the floor vents were. So, I didn't have my shop vac with me, but I will make up a flexible hose to slide down the ducts to vacuum the junk out. Last time I used a 1 1/2 " plastic drain hose and duct taped it to the shop vac hose. It worked for the floor vents so it should work for the ceiling vents. Not that it is a big deal, but I'd just like to get that junk out of the vents.
Great idea! You would think up there they wouldn't have a bunch of junk like that. Hey, we breathe that air..
Old 06-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #19
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The good news it that this debris is probably devoid of dust by now with all the blowing going on and some of the cleanest junk in the RV. But I do hate when junk is left around inside walls, ducting and places not visible to the eye. All that junk has gotta weigh say half a pound.

One of these days I'll have to put through a fish line and a poofy duster to clear the ducting. I think I would be happier with this method over a vacuum hose. For now I have to wait for cooler weather. It's too hot now.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #20
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Just finished the mod today. Simple and EZ. Even if it pays off a little bit it will be worth it. Thanks for the idea Ozz!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote