Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
kipandbob
Established Member

M.O.C. #9500
on the road - initially

Hi, all,

My wife & I took possession of our new 3455SA HE last Saturday. Tonight will complete our 1st week sleeping in it. I must say it's a very nice rig! I must also confess that neither of us has ever had a 5th wheel - ever. We'll live in it 'til I retire on April 2nd. Shortly thereafter, we'll depart (from CA) for the very far NE - ME, NH, VT - to work for Trailerlife. I'm very happy to declare that we no longer own property in CA!

For those of you who've traveled this country a lot, what're the portions of the country over all those miles that we should avoid with regard to weather & terrain? I should add that we have to make a brief stop-over in Rapid City.

I value the advice/comments from you MOC-ers. Being an absolute newbie at this, I've posted several questions to different forums and have been favorably impressed by the in-depth responses from you folks on a variety of topics.

Thanks, in advance (again),
-Bob

kipandbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I can't help you with routes accross the country as I've only driven accross with a trailer once. I took I40, the southern route and it was a good easy trip. What will you be doing for Trailer Life?
I used to live in Placerville, Ca (20 years) before I bailed out for the Southeast.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Hi After almost three years on the road, the only thing I would offer, is to watch if you happen to find yourself on the backroads. If the trees haven't been trimmed or Semi's don't travel those road, low hanging tree can cause damage to the front cap of your Fiver. If any look questionable stop get out and pull slowly to it and have the navigator see if they will hit. Otherwise all freeways and heavy traffic roads are fine. Of course if you travel east from Nov to end of Feb the road can be foozen, and storms can happen suddenly, slow and steady will get you through if you find yourself in one. Hope this helps.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Besides low hanging trees, watch out for low service station canopies. I cleaned off the top of a pickup camper on one of those years ago.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:35 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bob, I use the Motor Carriers Atlas by Rand Mcnally to check my routes. It lists overhead clearances, and weigh stations. Usually, if the road is not listed as a trucker route, I try to avoid it. Many will say I am missing a great part of America, and I might be, BUT, I take no chances with the Montana attached. As a fulltimer, I have no other home to go back to in the event of accident.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
kipandbob
Established Member

M.O.C. #9500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I can't help you with routes accross the country as I've only driven accross with a trailer once. I took I40, the southern route and it was a good easy trip. What will you be doing for Trailer Life?
I used to live in Placerville, Ca (20 years) before I bailed out for the Southeast.
Jim,

We'll be the Trailerlife reps for those three states for the 2011 directory. My wife did that job several years ago with her now-deceased husband. Their territory was western Canada. This is all brand new to me!

Cheers,
-Bob
Old 02-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
I see good times on your horizon.

Enjoy!!!

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:17 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Bob,
Okay, now you have my interest peaked. What exactly will you be doing as a Trailer Life rep? This sounds interesting.
Jim
Old 02-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
kipandbob
Established Member

M.O.C. #9500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

Bob,
Okay, now you have my interest peaked. What exactly will you be doing as a Trailer Life rep? This sounds interesting.
Jim
Jim,

TL has husband/wife rep teams (30 total)throughout the US & Canada. The job entails visiting the PUBLIC RV parks in the assigned geography, reviewing them per prescribed criteria and discussing the "score" with the park owner/manager, reviewing the previous year's advertising, encouraging them to continue with it or increase to a larger ad size, etc.

The TL directory is the official directory of the Good Sam Club. We can offer Good Sam status to a park if our review yields high enough numbers.

There's more to it than this synopsis, but this will give you the concept.

Cheers,
-Bob
Old 02-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Thanks,
Jim