Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2003, 02:55 AM   #1
Montana_396
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #396
Freezeing Fulltimers

Prariepoodle asked the question in another thread but didn't get much of a response..... Does anyone have any expirence with a Montana in below freezeing temperatures. A lot of us northerners leave for the south when it's -20 or so. Any advice or expirence out there?????

Montana_396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 04:04 AM   #2
Montana_1511
Established Member

M.O.C. #1511
Is it okay to drive with the furnace on? We leave the frig on gas when we travel, but never thought about leaving the furnace or AC on. We're hoping for a quick trip to Ojo Caliente (west of Taos) for New Years and might run into cold weather on the way.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Like others, we've been in subfreezing weather for a week or so at a time, but never below the teens. We leave the furnace (at night) set at 50, close the door to the upstairs and run an electric heater up there, to conserve propane. Even so, in those temps we go through a bottle of propane in about 3 days. Many people will get a large propane bottle from the park. Many parks will loan the bottle, you pay for propane.

When driving in subfreezing weather we leave the furnace on the lowest setting while driving. This keeps some heat going into the tank area to avoid freezing. So far we've had no freezing problems.

Although all the above will help inside the Montana you still have to worry about the hose water connection outside. At the suggestion of one park manager we started leaving the kitchen faucet running a steady small stream of water all night. He said he'd rather pay for the water than have his pipes freeze. I found a drip is not enough below around 25 degrees, it needs to be a steady drip. One time I awoke at 6 and shut off the water thinking it would be warm enough outside (ok, I was mostly asleep). Two hours later we had a large popsicle outside. I swapped to another hose while the frozen one thawed out. Thankfully the park's pipes were ok.

Steve and Vicki Reigle
'03 F350 SC SB SRW 6.0L PSD AT; '03 3295RK
Montana_1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 04:37 AM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
We always travel with the furnace on, fridge on gas and hot water on gas, 12volt pump on as well.... The air won't work unless your plugged in.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:15 AM   #4
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Bob and Jean,

I see from your signature that you live in Loveland, CO. I may be moving to that area in the near future, there is a job in Westminister. I had hoped to live in our Montana, but not sure how that would work with your climate. I was really looking for a warmer area, but you need to go where the jobs are. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis and Carol
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:31 AM   #5
Montana_1511
Established Member

M.O.C. #1511
Dennis and Carol,

We are about 50 miles north of the Denver/Westminster area. We sometimes miss the storms they get. My sister and brother-in-law live in Moscow, ID and work in Pullman, WA. On an average I'd say our weather is similar. Some years they are colder/hotter/wetter/dryer than we are. The next year it's reversed. I don't know why you couldn't live in your Montana set up in park.

Jean

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dennis and Carol

Bob and Jean,

I see from your signature that you live in Loveland, CO. I may be moving to that area in the near future, there is a job in Westminister. I had hoped to live in our Montana, but not sure how that would work with your climate. I was really looking for a warmer area, but you need to go where the jobs are. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis and Carol
Old 09-14-2004, 10:14 AM   #6
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Any suggestions as to a park it that area. It has been a long time since I spent much time there.
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 10:50 AM   #7
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We spent last winter in Colorado Springs at the KOA. We didnt have any major problems except the bathroom sink froze at about 16 Deg. above 16 it was ok. All the other lines were ok. We also had square foam in the roof vents and some in the sky light in the bath that helped alot. Also the main water line had heat tape wraped with pipe foam and the presure regulater froze, took it off had no more problem later put that shrink wrap stuff on the windows dont know if it really helped or not it didnt stick to good (maby to old). This year we have moved to a private park in Fountain Colorado. I think the wind had a lot to do with the freeze in the bath room, now we have a lot of trees and things to block the wind. well see If not Iam going to put heat tape on the bathroom lines. Also going to make the storm screen door and plexaglss for the other windows as I saw on the other treads.Did use a lot of propane about 100lbs/22Gal a week but did stay warm with the thermostat at about 70 Deg. now we are on a big tank from the propane company an it is cheeper.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 12:09 PM   #8
Montana_1511
Established Member

M.O.C. #1511
Since we are weekend campers at the moment, I don't know where you'd fine a "permanent" spot. Maybe some of the fulltimers can give you some suggestions as to who to contact.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dennis and Carol

Any suggestions as to a park it that area. It has been a long time since I spent much time there.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:33 AM   #9
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Re the "noisey fan" in the furnace, anyone have a solution for that? Any vibration or noise dampeners anyone has used or heard of?

Thanks,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 07:07 PM   #10
Montana_2139

M.O.C. #2139
Hi Folks from OleJer,

I have read all the posts on this thread and wish you all a "soft water winter". We have moved unto our 2004 Montana 3400RL in early August. After a little over a week packing it and living in a parking lot, we departed sunny So. Calif. for central Utah as full timers. I understand there will be many "0" degree nites with days in the teens and possible dips below that. I appreciate the many comments regarding the winterizing, since I do not relish building a skirt around the bottom of our Montana. I liked the suggestions about plugging the vents and skylight in the shower with foam. I do have some concerns about possible freezing of the exposed water lines inside the storage areas. I have heat taped the fresh water hose, took a wrap around the pressure regulator and will put pipe foam around that. I thought about buying some rain gutters and putting them upside down over the hoses to further protect them from the weather. We will also will wrap the sewer hose with fiberglass insulation. This is my first winter in an RV and I don't expect it will a picnic. Do you think we are on the right track or have we missed something important?

Thanks for any pointers

OleJer
Montana_2139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 01:29 AM   #11
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Yep... the water lines in the basement won't freeze. The water lines in the belly which lay on the plastic belly cover will freeze...... even if you have the arctic package. If you can move them do it before it gets real cold.

Keep your tank valves shut and dump when full. If you leave the gray valve open the sewer line starts to ice up a bit at a time. Pretty soon it closes itself off, then you have to replace it. If you pull the dump valve every 4 or 5 days, the volume flushes and warms the pipe, then drains clean, it's a slow trickle that causes ice to build up.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:05 AM   #12
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
When plugging all the holes and insulating the vents be careful you don't overdo it. Yes you can overdo it. In cold weather you need to keep some fresh outside air circulating through the trailer to eliminate all the moisture from ourselves, cooking, etc. We leave the kitchen window open just a little and the bathroom vent. If we see a lot of condensation on the windows that's a sign that I need more fresh air and I open another window for a while. When showering,I run the fan in the commode to help suck the moisture out.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:14 AM   #13
Montana_2139

M.O.C. #2139
Thanks for the pointer Gruffy,

Thanks for the pointer re: the belly water lines. Do you think it will be Ok if I wrap them with that foam pipe insulation? By the way, where are they? Also is there a plumbing diagram available anywhere that you know of?

Thanks,
OleJer
Montana_2139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:23 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
OleJer, they're up inside the belly. You have to drop that black bellypan under the unit. Unfortunately it's not just one piece and it's not real easy to get out of there. Too many pipes and the like coming through it or attached to it. I haven't insulated those pipes but would like to do some someday. I have put those foam tubes on the water pipes going through the basement storage area. That helps keep the hot water hot between water heater and bathroom shower and sink. Our water heater is clear back at a rear corner and it's a long run for that hot water, especially in cold weather. Hope this helps a little.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:41 PM   #15
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for all the neat postings. Might come in handy one of these days. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:45 AM   #16
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
You have to drop the belly pan to get at them. You may also want to re think the foam tubeing. If the lines are close together, heat from the hot line keeps the cold line warm. If I was going to insulate to freeze proof, I'd wrap around the two lines, and not separate them. There is heat in the belly from the furnace. Ours froze up where the factory put insulation on top of the tube by mistake, insulating it from the warm air space. In the 3670RL it is a simple matter to go from the kitchen right into the basement eliminateing the belly altogether. Two 3 foot tubes replaced two 20 foot tubes..
Old 10-08-2004, 10:39 AM   #17
Montana_372

M.O.C. #372
Hi
We are fulltimers in a 3295 and freeze every fall. We did pay for the updateto the insulation package that is now standard but it did little if anything. We are in southern Ontario untill Nov 1 every winter and find that we can use one 30 lbper day trying to stay warm. The RV is poorly insulated and could use a better insulated window option. I find that it is very drafty and extremly hard to try to keep warm.

Bye for now
Ken
Montana_372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 10:13 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Marken1, last winter we put the window shrink film on our windows. It's the same thing you can use in a stick home. We bought it at walmart. I think it was made by 3M, if I recall.

We also use electric heaters to supplement the furnace and keep the propane bill down. If you're going to be in one place for awhile see if the park offers the use of a 100 lb propane bottle. Many offer that service, charging only for the propane used. If the park doesn't, maybe a local propane supplier would provide that service.

Look also for any openings into the rig, underneath and in the basement and fill them with the expanding foam insulation.

I'm sure other ideas will be posted shortly. Good luck. Being cold is no fun. Be aware the low point drains underneath the rig are the first to freeze. If they freeze up into the belly they'll shut off water flow. Been there. You might try to insulate those lines that hang below the belly. There's two lines right together. Those are the ones.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote