Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2020, 09:07 AM   #1
Troutn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21573
Ice Maker not working

I have a Montana 2018.5 Montana 3791 RD with a Samsung double door residential fridge Model RF18HFENBSP. First time out and we de-winterized with everything working...hot water heater and water lines all working.

After being set up on Friday, we heard our first batch of pink ice drop and then heard the unit being filled with water. That was a day and half ago. Since that time, the pink water in the ice cube tray, still has not dumped. I have tried all permutations of ice on/ice off on the unit and also the sink shut off valve and the water line going into the unit. I have read some similar posts but for any other options to self fix.

If anyone has any added insights, would be very appreciated.

Rick and Jeanne
2013 F350 6.7 CC LB SRW
2018.5 Montana 3791RD
Troutn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:20 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Under the front of the ice maker is a small rubber covered button. Pushing it will cycle the ice maker. Keep doing that until clear water is dumped out of the ice maker tray. You could do power freeze to speed things up. The ice maker is on when the "cup" symbol is not on.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:44 PM   #3
Troutn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21573
Thanks so much for the reply! Does this reset the process? Or should I expect it to happen right away?

Rick and Jeanne
2013 F350 6.7 CC LB SRW
2018.5 Montana 3791RD
Old 04-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
The reset, or recycle, happens immediately. Push the button a couple seconds, you'll hear a click. When that happens, shut the drawer immediately so the ice will fall in. Once it falls out, the dump tray will reposition and fill with water again. Once it is filled, push the button again. After a couple seconds it will start to dump again. Shut the drawer again so this time the water will fall into the catch pan. Once it dumps, it will reposition itself and fill again. Repeat again and again and again to clear the pink stuff out.

As stated above, the ice symbol on the control panel works backwards from what you expect. When the ice symbol is on, the ice maker is actually off. When the ice symbol is off, the ice maker is actually on.

My refrigerator is in the kitchen slide out. Under the slide out the water line that runs to the refrigerator is under there. Mine has a joint, connection for the hose that runs into the slide. I untwisted the Pex connection and let the pink stuff pump out. Then I went inside and where the line come unto the floor of the slide out, I unhooked the line going directly from the on-off valve to the refrigerator and pumped again. I caught the pink-stuff in a paper cup and tossed it out until the line was clear. I then ran bleach water through my winterizing connection and cleaned out all my lines from the pink stuff after taste. I did the same with the water line connections to the ice maker. Once the bleach flow, I closed off the connections and then started hitting the button on the ice maker over and over until I could smell the bleach coming out of the ice maker. Once I got to that point, I started pumping fresh water to get rid of the strong chlorine smell. I just let the ice maker run naturally at this point for about 24 hours and then tossed out all the ice. After that, everything was good.

Here is the user's manual for your Samsung Refrigerator Click Here.

Go to page 23.

On the bottom of the ice maker there is a button. It's very hard to see, especially if you can't remove the drawer. I used my phone and laid it in the bottom of the catch pan pointing straight up on camera mode. Once I located the button by looking at the phone, I snapped the picture so I'd know where it is because it is very hard to feel and realize that's the actual button that you should push. Here's the photo, looking straight UP with phone on it's back so I could see the image.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 03:30 PM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
when you hit that button it will force a cycle of ice. It will dump what is int he tray, ready or not. It will then refill the tray with water. If it dumps But no water you may still have a shutoff valve on
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:48 AM   #6
Troutn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21573
Thanks for everyone’s collective input. I have tried everyone’s recommendations but the ice tray still will not dump when I reset...thinking the fix is beyond my pay grade. I may contact the selling dealer to see if they have anything to suggest short of bringing it into them.

Rick and Jeanne
2013 F350 6.7 CC LB SRW
2018.5 Montana 3791RD
Old 04-20-2020, 09:24 AM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Before I drug the unit to the dealer I'd call Samsung tech support. Those people hear all kinds of problems everyday. Probably have heard yours. They might have a fix for you.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:26 AM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
We have a Samsung in the house. The 'fix' after trying every possible button combo along with a new filter is a replacement icemaker which is now winding through the USPS from a seller. These are not a robust item Two screws, one electrical connector for our S&B fridge . That backwards indicator was a real interesting find too. Ligt on, it's off. Huh? Of course the IB is flaky on that but You Tube told me the story.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:45 AM   #9
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Just a quick thought...I have a 2019 3791RD and we had 2 shut off valves for the ice maker. One was under the sink as you mentioned and the other was behind the back of the lower cabinet to the left of the refrigerator. I had to take the back panel out to see the shut off valve. You didn't mention the second one, so I thought I would chime in.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:54 PM   #10
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
We have a Samsung in the house. The 'fix' after trying every possible button combo along with a new filter is a replacement icemaker which is now winding through the USPS from a seller. These are not a robust item Two screws, one electrical connector for our S&B fridge . That backwards indicator was a real interesting find too. Ligt on, it's off. Huh? Of course the IB is flaky on that but You Tube told me the story.
Most of our "stuff" comes from China and a little from Japan and other Asian countries. They often don't think like we do (rational) and translations can suck too. We could not do enough for others to take our manufacturing and now we have to try and think like them. They will have future generations well trained.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:55 PM   #11
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
Ice Maker

I have had a few rigs with ice makers. Slow and useless is my feelings. I purchased one of the free standing units the make 32 pounds of Ice a day. They are about $100. I put it on the counter out of the way, Since I have a rear kitchen. The left of the stove is the perfect place. Put it down during travel. I have ice all day long. When I need ice, I have it. Simple cheap solution.
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #12
OldWildcat

M.O.C. #26125
Samsung ice maker in my 2019

I have a 18 cu ft Samsung with French Doors and lower freezer. I moved into my rig about a month ago. The ice maker never worker no matter what I tried. Samsung sent out a service person when no attempts from tech support worked. He found the second shutoff behind the drawer and was going to fix it but didn’t have what he needed as it was a major mess up with install. I called Montana support and was told I had to take it to a certified repair center. I live in my rig and where am I to stay while my rig is in the shop? Wouldn’t it make more sense to send a tech out to me (it is under 30 miles.) I am not happy with this rig as this is not the first issue with workmanship. Hope the reset worked for you.
OldWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #13
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
You have press and hold the the test button until the ice machine starts to cycle.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:01 PM   #14
OldWildcat

M.O.C. #26125
Ice maker

The reset won’t work as the install at the factory twisted it so no water can get through. The water comes up just to the shutoff and it cannot get through to the icemaker
OldWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:08 PM   #15
Joe n Dora

M.O.C. #24477
I had trouble with my ice maker in my samsung in my home. even had samsung replace the ice maker. still not working properly. The tech finally said turn off the circuit breaker for 5 minutes to reset the entire electronics in the fridge. The ice maker now works perfectly.
Joe n Dora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:05 AM   #16
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
If you wander through the internet, you will find that Samsung has a major problem with ice makers, so bad with many of the ice maker/cold water version where the unit is in the top box, there is a class action starting. On the french door version, ice only, if it worked before and just quit, the fix is a new ice maker. There is a non replaceable sensor along with a dinky little motor that can fail - either of which will cause stoppage.

For that french door model, I found a replacement on eBay for about $85 but they can go up to about $150 at some sellers. I have ice again

Change out is easy for that french door model - remove the top freezer drawer, two screws and an electrical connector. There is a pretty good You Tube video to watch. Those screws - Phillips head and you need a good, not rounded off screw driver as they are tight (also "fun" to reinstall unless you have a an extra universal joint in your arm).

Replace the filter. press the required buttons including reset and you should get ice - 12 hours for more then a few cubes though you can feel ice cubes being formed.

Mentioning Samsung appliances sends a shiver up my back. That fridge and the crappy washer were well researched as the very best by various researchers - pure unadulterated junk, a brand that will never be seen again in my home when they have finally die (add the TV that died a month after the warranty ran out)
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:36 AM   #17
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
I must be the exception to the rule!! Have a Samsung French door fridge with a lower freezer. The Ice maker works fantastically and makes more ice than I need. Only problem was locating the remote water shut off valve and figuring out how it worked. Since then no problems at all.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #18
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
Pull out the drawer located under the oven and completely remove it. In the back you will find a valve that is probably closed. I have purchased two Montana's with the Samsung refrigerator and had to turn the valve on. Most dealers are not aware of the valve.
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:35 AM   #19
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeis48 View Post
Pull out the drawer located under the oven and completely remove it. In the back you will find a valve that is probably closed. I have purchased two Montana's with the Samsung refrigerator and had to turn the valve on. Most dealers are not aware of the valve.
Last year we bought our 1st with an ice maker. Have had several PDIs with one CW tech. He said if you winterize you need to close - and pointed out under sink. I said that’s easy, he smiled and said this one too. Now still easy but not as much. Never need to winterize as it doesn’t get cold enough here but we go farther south anyway.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:50 AM   #20
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
We have the Samsung French door bottom freezer and once I found the second valve and replaced the ferrule that leaked it started working. Call to the dealer got the response, "we don't work on them, call Samsung".
Now it makes ice faster than our Amana at home.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote