Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2020, 05:40 AM   #41
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Interesting article explaining the different classes of ebikes.

https://www.railstotrails.org/build-...nance/e-bikes/

31 states explicitly call ebikes as non-motorized.
Federal and those 31 states laws leave it to local jurisdictions to set their own limits.

So for me my dream ebike is not made yet. Not that I could afford it if they did. Let alone haul it around.

My Lightfoot Ranger with a Bose or Brose crank belt drive with 1KW of battery. I would be happy with it being Class 1. And yes they made a model of it that broke down in half. It would be even cooler with it being Class 2.

2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:05 AM   #42
ChuckandDonnaFTRV

M.O.C. #25790
Lectric Ebikes - Amazing!!!

We have just purchased the Lectric eBike. For a value of under $1K it is a great ebike. There are a ton of videos on youtube that review this bike. Love riding it. I think if you are just wanting to ride around at a park or on the street or back and forth to the story instead of taking the Truck, they are great. If you want to mountain bike with them, then I would recommend a mountain bike. They are simple, quick and really just a blast to ride. Good Luck and have fun.

Just a couple of other items to add after reading some of the posts. Lectric ebikes is in Phoenix Area, so in the U.S. They have a 1 year warranty on the bike. They have a tech support and sales support. Overall, they look promising as opposed to purchasing direct from China, etc. Probably the biggest consideration when purchasing an ebike, is check to see if the brand has a website. If it does, there is a good chance there is support. Email them and ask as part of some due diligence before you purchase. That is exactly what I did before purchasing the Lectric ebike. Plus watched a ton of YouTube videos about them.
ChuckandDonnaFTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:47 PM   #43
Beerwhisper
Established Member

M.O.C. #22276
Love our Rad bikes

I did a lot of research and enjoy our Rad Mini’s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB8E4D34-69B5-4180-8E38-B32E65ECED09.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	5690  
Beerwhisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:14 PM   #44
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
We have 2 Rad minis and a rack for the back of our 3931!
Love our RADS mini.
hitdrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:30 PM   #45
Beerwhisper
Established Member

M.O.C. #22276
Wow! We have a 3930! Do your bikes ride good? I’ve only used the front hitch on my pickup.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:37 PM   #46
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwhisper View Post
I did a lot of research and enjoy our Rad Mini’s.
Nice bike rack. Can you give us info on the make/model?
Thanks
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:46 PM   #47
Beerwhisper
Established Member

M.O.C. #22276
Rack

I bought it from Northern Tool, online. I like the rack. It is well thought out and easy to use. The Ultra-Tow™ Fat Tire 2-Bike Carrier
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BF803B19-5838-44A4-B0CE-0A93F0657826.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	5692  
Old 02-26-2020, 10:19 PM   #48
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwhisper View Post
I bought it from Northern Tool, online. I like the rack. It is well thought out and easy to use. The Ultra-Tow™ Fat Tire 2-Bike Carrier
Great find, however it says 200lb limit which is almost un believable, makes me a little nervous to put $3000 bikes on it.

I ordered one though, will give it a try... Wonder if the 200Lb capacity includes the 40lbs of the rack itself?

Thanks for posting
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:19 AM   #49
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
I had a front hitch on my last truck for my wife's scooter, it was great except when I forgot it was there......
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:04 PM   #50
summer home
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21038
We recently bought 2 RAD Step Thru e-bikes... love them!!!! Also bought the Hollywood rack, specifically designed for e-bike weight....
We recently traveled from home (Myrtle Beach) to Punta Gorda,FL witht he 2 bikes on the Monty rear rack... no issues...
My wife bought a 2 bike cover, fit okay, however, really tight and hard to pull into place....
riding the bikes is fun and easy... we have been using Pedal Assist level #1, the lowest.... you still have to pedal, however the motor helps... and the faster you pedal, the faster you go....
a 10 mile ride doesn't cause the battery gauge to move.....
very happy with them....
summer home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:13 PM   #51
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer home View Post
We recently bought 2 RAD Step Thru e-bikes... love them!!!! Also bought the Hollywood rack, specifically designed for e-bike weight....
We recently traveled from home (Myrtle Beach) to Punta Gorda,FL witht he 2 bikes on the Monty rear rack... no issues...
My wife bought a 2 bike cover, fit okay, however, really tight and hard to pull into place....
riding the bikes is fun and easy... we have been using Pedal Assist level #1, the lowest.... you still have to pedal, however the motor helps... and the faster you pedal, the faster you go....
a 10 mile ride doesn't cause the battery gauge to move.....
very happy with them....
Be careful buy accessories via RAD, that Rack you bought for nearly $500 is the same rack discussed above for $150. I bought the $150 rack and also was at the RAD store in Seattle and compared them they are Identical. While RAD bikes are great and affordable for Ebike their accessories are outragous.

Here is how we travel with our Rads (we only use the rack when not towing the 5er)

Old 05-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #52
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
Rad folding bikes

How tall are they when in your roll-out? How do you like the ride, the feel of them? How are they on trails and beach? Have you got them wired to charge while in the bay? Via your truck while driving or solar when parked? Thanx Jim
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 ctd. 4x4 srw
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:35 PM   #53
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking View Post
How tall are they when in your roll-out? How do you like the ride, the feel of them? How are they on trails and beach? Have you got them wired to charge while in the bay? Via your truck while driving or solar when parked? Thanx Jim
Jim

the opening is about 28" both fir with the stock seats however I upgraded to aftermarket suspension seats so now I have to remove the seat post to close the drawer. I can say the mounting is rock solid hit a road bump (construction) that was poorly signed I thought for sure the bikes came off. The bump was so aggressive the rood top to the LR tv was on the floor when we arrived at destination.

As for the ride, love the fat tires which are great for on or off road. Wife got a flat front tire from a thorn i had a spare tube and changed it in less then 10 minutes without tools.

We could not be happier with the RAD mini's
Old 05-27-2020, 05:20 PM   #54
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Walt and Vicky Sent me a PM about how I mounted my Bikes to the Moryde drawer, some how I cannot respond to the PM so I will post how I did it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt & Vicki
I was curious where you picked up your mounts you have mounted on you slide out tray. We have the same bikes as you, and I cannot find a good fork mount like you have. Thanks for any info. Walt and Vicki
I had to be creative as the forks are so thick they did not fit on the mount axle meaning I cold not get the hub nut on to tighten. So 1st I ordered front axles from RAD ($10 ea) (you will need to call them to order)

Then I ordered these from Amazon, order the 135mm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is where it got tricky. The axle that comes with the mount are too short however the diameter of the shaft on the mount is much larger than the RAD axle so I had to figure out a way to sleeve the mount. So I took the mount and the RAD axle to Ace Hardware looking for a solution, back in the nuts and bolts section in their specialty bins I found what is called a Clamping sleeve or Clamping Pin, this is a steel sleeve that has a slot down one side that allows it to compress. So I bought two at about 2.5" long and hammered them in each end with about 1/4" left out each end for the fork to rest on. The Skinny RAD axle fit right in the sleeves making for a nice factory fit so the bike firmly attaches like it would to the actual wheel. Total cost was about $26 per bike.

hope this explanation helps, let me know if you have any questions

here is a picture of the Clamping pin. I should note I had to pre compress the pin a little to get it started, I just used a vice to squeeze it shut a little. you could also just hammer it some before you hammer it into the shaft
Old 05-27-2020, 07:23 PM   #55
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Looking for non China made...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:51 PM   #56
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
Looking for non China made...
It is all China made, some may be assembled here but most of the parts still come from China, in fact you can buy many of the parts used on many of the popular e-bikes from Ali Express.

However companies like RAD who is based in Seattle give the US made experience. For example my wifes RAD mini has a battery issue (key is stuck in the on position) and they are sending a mobile service guy to our house to take care of this warranty issue, now that us service.

Tags
e-bikes, gettin around