Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #21
pammer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18641
This is so frustrating. We know that we want extended warranty. We were going to wait until MFG Warranty was up..then buy. Now I have been told that extended warranty will cost us 25% more if we wait. Geez Louise!

pammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't believe eveything you hear.We purchased our first extended warranty 9 months into our first year.Check with wholesale warranties for their plans and check with cornerstone for their plans.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:21 PM   #23
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Try Crestview RV in Texas, Janette, for a quote. Thats where our current contract was purchased.
What you were told is coming from the dealer, not the warranty service provider. Whsl Warranties no longer sells XtraRide, and they say its because XtraRide now requires a physical inspection of the unit. Protective says that they dont require any selling dealer to conduct a physical inspection before selling a contract. Whsl sure was quick to tell me that Viking Protection has a policy equal to XtraRide (& maybe they do) which they happen to sell ! Amazing.
-Steve
sapest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wholesales Warranties was a insurance broker for a long time.I purchased my RV shield policy from them but they are now a insurance company and their insurance is Viking Protection. I did not like that so they went off my list.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #25
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We don't do extended warranties. We take that money we'd have spent on a warranty and ear mark it for future repairs that warranty would have covered. Haven't used it yet.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:08 AM   #26
pammer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18641
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Wholesales Warranties was a insurance broker for a long time.I purchased my RV shield policy from them but they are now a insurance company and their insurance is Viking Protection. I did not like that so they went off my list.
Yes, I got a quote from Wholesale Warranties and the Viking Protection Plan is what I got from them. They did tell me they don't have XtraRide. That is where I got that if we wait we will have to pay %25 more.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:12 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
To be fair We did get a quote from Wholesale Warranties on the Viking protection plan for this 13 3402 Big sky the same time we got a quote from Cornerstone and the price just a few dollars apart.

We called dealers around the country and asked them if they accepted the Viking protection plan and most had never heard of it. Our local dealer had never heard of it so we did not get it since we do travel all over.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #28
pammer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18641
Quote:

To be fair We did get a quote from Wholesale Warranties on the Viking protection plan for this 13 3402 Big sky the same time we got a quote from Cornerstone and the price just a few dollars apart.

We called dealers around the country and asked them if they accepted the Viking protection plan and most had never heard of it. Our local dealer had never heard of it so we did not get it since we do travel all over.
That is good information. Thank you. I think we are leaning towards Good Sam but we will do more research before we decide. Or....if the dealer decides to come down a bit on the XtraRide service plan we might just go with that....but....they have to come down from 3K or no deal.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I suggest you call around an ask dealers if they accept the plan you are considering. We did have the GS ESP and dropped it for another plan. According to some dealers IF you are a Camping world and IF you purchased your Rv at Camping world you get quick service. If not it is a hassle for the dealer many dealers will not accept GS.

We did use the GS ESP twice and they did pay the claims but in both cases the dealers involved were not high on GS ESP. If you stay close to home base I would suggest a plan that your local dealer accepts. We are all over and need to have a plan that is accepted all over.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #30
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
If at all interested in XtraRide call Crestview. They were the least expensive of the 3 US sellers I have contacted. I cant say if this is because I am a current customer. Steve Myer is the finance mgr there.
-Steve
sapest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:52 AM   #31
Sally Newberry
Established Member

M.O.C. #18908
We are purchasing a used 2015 3402RL through Camping World in Syracuse, NY. I think we should purchase an extended warranty because, being it's a used unit, we don't know what might already be wrong with it. It was a pretty expensive unit new because it has the full body paint so for the original owners to trade it in after a year makes me wonder if they were having problems with it. Of course the dealer is not going to tell us if they were. I would hope that Camping World would have at least a 30-day warranty in case we find something wrong right away but if something goes wrong after that & we have no warranty it could be an expensive fix. We're transitioning from a 30ft tow behind to our first large 5th wheel so any advice anyone can offer would be GREATLY appreciated.
Sally Newberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:18 AM   #32
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You can be sure Camper World is not going to tell you if any thing is wrong. They don't even know if they are like our CW.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #33
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:

One feature that we liked was that if a Non Covered part causes the failure of a covered part they will pay the claim.It is a favorite trick of many service plans that if a non covered part caused the failure of a coverd part they will not pay.
FYI - Cornerstone does not cover "any incidental or consequential damages including damage to a non-covered part, or a covered part, or any covered part which is not broken down but which an authorized service center recommends or requires be repaired, replaced, or where government/industry regulations disallow use of said part(s)." Section IV, I of the Cornerstone Contract (applies to all plans and no consequential rider available)
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It does if you have the premier plan.

"If a Non Covered part causes the failure of a covered part they will pay the claim." that is not what your quote says..
Old 08-23-2016, 02:39 AM   #35
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

We don't do extended warranties. We take that money we'd have spent on a warranty and ear mark it for future repairs that warranty would have covered. Haven't used it yet.
I had never done extended warranties either, always just figured they were extra insurance policies I could due without. When we went full time a few years ago I got one on my F350 when it got over 30,000 on it, and one on a new Montana we purchased. When we put the F350 up for sale I am convinced the reason it sold in less than two weeks on Craig's List was partly because of the Ford ESP still in place for a new owner. Now that we are trading the Montana I am getting half of my Cornerstone warranty money refunded.

So even though I never had a claim on my Ford ESP or my Cornerstone RV warranty, I still benefited from having them IMHO. Now with new SOB MH I am not even considering an extended warranty because we are not full time or traveling throughout the year.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:55 AM   #36
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
A motor home and no service policy what with all the components in it???
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:47 AM   #37
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by waynemoore

A motor home and no service policy what with all the components in it???
About all the same components as Montana, with exception of engine and drivetrain. Coach warranty is 2 years and we all know what Ford warranty is for my engine and drivetrain.

Not being full time and only traveling 2 or 3 months out of the year we will go at least the two years without an extended warranty. Even then it would have to be a real lemon, or I would have to be max towing before I would buy one as a part timer.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had extended warranties for 10 years on both our Montana's. We would not leave the driveway without one. Paid 1107.00 for my RV shield 7 years plan and replaced 6 holding tanks on the 06 3400 with it and got one year premium back when we traded the 06. Had a two year GS ESP and replaced two holding tanks with that one. We purchased the Cornerstone warranty in June and will be replacing a holding tank with that one.Like I said would not leave the driveway without one.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #39
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
My vote is to self-insure. Park the money you would be paying for the ESP and add to it regularly by the amount of the renewal (eg 4yr at $3000 would be roughly 60/mth.)

If you need it, its there. If you don't.... it's still there. JHMO
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #40
STIHLNTIME
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21339
I just purchased a G/S 7 yr policy at Camping World for 2250.00, considering the unit has a residential fridge I think it is a peace of mind, never had to file a claim on the motor home but as expensive as repairs are I would not leave the lot without one.
STIHLNTIME is offline   Reply With Quote