Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > MOC Gals General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
I am now an official member....

of the "I was in the driver's seat while towing the Monty!"

On Friday, Doug unilaterally decided that I was "in charge" of disconnecting Bella, hitching her to Bruto, and driving her to Silver River State Park. The unilateral decision while a bit "bold" on his part (Hey, I'm part Sicilian!) was a good thing as if it was posed as a question if I wanted to drive while towing the answer would have been "Not really." More because I wasn't looking forward to the non-verbal (white knuckled hold on the door handle) or verbal "critique" during/after my first foray into driving while towing than a lack of desire to get the practical experience. So I "accepted" this momentary lapse of judgement on his part!

With the exception of the missing teflon plate on the pin (from Bella's trip for a warranty check up) the "pre-flight" check went well. Big challenge in backing into the pin was seeing the fifth wheel in the bed of the truck (despite the fact the new Monties have that "mirror" on the front of the units)...found that while I could see the back of the truck via the rear view mirror, the rolled up tonno cover blocked the view of the fifth well. With some adjustment to the seat (up) and some neck craning I was able to get a good enough view to get things lined up and "hooked up" after a couple of maneuvers. After a "tug" to make sure things were truly hitched, did the final bits and bobs of hitching (brake wire, electrical hook up, checking brake/directional signal lights, etc.) and we were off! Drove about 45 miles of two lane country "highways" WITHOUT hard shoulders; stayed between the lines, didn't "panic" brake (even got a compliment that I "got" the premise of starting to brake sooner than normal if not towing), and got Bella properly situated on the camp site on the first try! (OKAY, so the site is a pull through but it STILL counts! LOL)

I REALLY do prefer towing the fifth wheel over driving the SOB Class A. Its a mind game, but I can convince myself that I am just pulling a little trailer (LOVE those "fisheye" mirror to help that little delusion!) whereas with the Class A it was OBVIOUS I was driving something REALLY BIG.

Next big step is that backing in thing!

Robin

eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:58 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
WAAAHOOOOOOOOOO

Congrats!!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Congrats, Robin. Nothing like success to build confidence.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:59 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Way to go! Next could be solo for your own vacation.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:19 AM   #5
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Very proud of you !!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:28 AM   #6
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Wayne,

But then who would do the "honey do's" for me?!

Robin
Old 12-31-2008, 05:14 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Way to go, now go after the backing up, Find a empty parking lot put some cones out and get your spotter to guide you in, that way you can get your sign language in sink with each other. nothing worst that one person signing in English and the other in Greek.
Good luck and make it a fun lesson.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Congratulations. Let's get Kathy on this thread...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Kathy! Where are you!?? Like most things, the anticipation proved to be MUCH worse than the actuality! TRY IT! You might like it!

Robin
Old 01-11-2009, 02:23 AM   #10
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
One Sunday morning, a couple of weeks after we brought the Monty home, I told Vickie that we were going for a ride so she could get used to driving the rig. After I hooked the Monty up, she jumped in the drivers seat. I said "Don't you want me to pull it out of the barn and over to the mall parking lot?". She said that if she was going to learn, she was going to start right now (oh boy!). At the mall, I put out two cones 50 feet behind the rig and had her back the rig through the cones. Then had her stop so the rear of the trailer was even with the cones. We practiced hand signals and rule #1 (If the driver can't see the guide, DON'T MOVE). Then we took it on the interstate for a few exits. She now feels comfortable if and when she needs to drive and I feel comfortable knowing that if , for some reason, I can't drive, she can.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:00 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Robin,
If you have to ask, maybe you better stay home!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #12
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Send a message via Yahoo to Snowhawk
I'd like to echo Carol's remark: WAHOOOO!!!! Way to go Robin! SOOOOOO proud of you. Let's hope we see more glowing reports like this. For those who haven't yet taken the course or tried to drive yet... there's always next fall's rally!!! Those of
us who have driven... are there to support you!
Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #13
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Yea, Robin!! Way to go! You'll enjoy towing more and more, and DH will get to sightsee and relax. My DH would rather be a passenger than a driver, and we share the driving time so that one person doesn't get too tired.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Thank you for all the words of congratulations and encouragement. I was actually quite proud of Doug as he actually didn't do any "white knuckle" gripping of the dash, doors, or handles in the truck. I am not sure that I will be a "regular" driver as Doug so enjoys driving (That's his story and he is sticking to it!) I rarely drive when we are going somewhere with or without Bella. However, I am sure he'll keep me driving to get the additional practice and confidence and THEN he'll spring parking the rig in other than a pull-through site!

Robin
Old 01-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #15
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Robin snowhawk is right get your driving in. I signed up for the driving class at the fall rally, but by the time I got there all I needed to do was learn the basic for backing up.
After driving thru the mountains of west virginia and driving thru a toll booth that got smaller as we got closer I was ready . my only worry is george ready for me to take over. he loves to drive and now so do I.
Rosetta
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote