Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2016, 02:02 AM   #1
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
A/C stopping and starting

Our ac runs for a fairly long time, then stops. About 30 seconds later, it starts up again. It's blowing cold air but it should run continuously until the temp. satisfies the thermostat setting. This just started a few days ago with temps. in the low 80s. Do any of you have any idea what may be causing this? We have always run the unit with the fan on auto.

hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:38 AM   #2
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
What I beleive you are hearing is the Fan Automatically shifting from Low to High or High to Low speed.
I can not remember exactly but the info is in the Dometic Manual
When the room temp is 4 degrees or so above thermostat setting fan will run on high as it gets closer to stat temp the fan will stop as you discribe and shift to low fan speed
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:05 AM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
[quote]Originally posted by kdeiss

What I beleive you are hearing is the Fan Automatically shifting from Low to High or High to Low speed.
I can not remember exactly but the info is in the Dometic Manual
When the room temp is 4 degrees or so above thermostat setting fan will run on high as it gets closer to stat temp the fan will stop as you discribe and shift to low fan speed

Per Dometic Stat Directions: In Auto the Fan operates on High when room temperature is 5 Degrees higher then Stat setting and low when room temp is 4 degrees higher!
Hope this helps
Old 08-26-2016, 04:41 AM   #4
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
Ken, Thank you for the reply, but I can clearly hear the compressor stop, then the fan. Then I hear the fan restart, then the compressor kick in again. I'm beginning to think maybe an issue with the thermastat.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:46 AM   #5
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
In my unit the system goes to a complete shut down when changing fan speeds and it takes almost 2 minutes for both the compressor and fan to come back on. It does exactly the same cycle as you described. If you had a power outage or turned it off and on with the circuit breaker it has the same quiet time before the fan and then the compressor come on. In my old MH the system did the same shutdown with the fan speed change.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jameswbarton

In my unit the system goes to a complete shut down when changing fan speeds and it takes almost 2 minutes for both the compressor and fan to come back on. It does exactly the same cycle as you described. If you had a power outage or turned it off and on with the circuit breaker it has the same quiet time before the fan and then the compressor come on. In my old MH the system did the same shutdown with the fan speed change.
I agree with James compressor shuts down when Auto Fan changes speed!
Hot here today I am running on High Fan!
Old 08-26-2016, 11:57 AM   #7
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Getting by with only one ac...now that is impressive! You might try running it in another fan speed to see what happens versus running in auto. Or you may want to pull the thermostat and let it dangle off the wall to see if this changes what you are experiencing now. John
Old 08-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #8
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
Just read your post and we had the same concerns with our front ac doing the same thing. I pulled out the thermostat manual and read it about three times before I understood that this was a normal procedure. I don't have the correct answer for you right now but if you read up on it, you will see that the ac will act like that while in the auto fan mode. I will get the technical answer for you soon if nobody else gets it to you first.
madeforeachother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #9
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
Thanks a bunch everyone. You have put my mind at ease.