Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
MikeNChar

M.O.C. #18367
Fit and Finish of 3791 RD, 2015

Just wanted to let you know that on our first trip we had some troubles with our 3791 RD 2015.
1. The two hyd. slides were drifting out 3 to 6 inches in one hundred miles of travel.
2. The dining room slide scratched the flooring.
3. There were several minor decorative moldings that fell off during our 3500 mile trip. This was due to the lack of glue. Brad nails alone due not hold!
4. Batteries went dead the first day of travel.
5. The rear view camera did not work well at all. Error codes and blacking out. Still not working at the time of this writing.

Our dealer (Four Winds of Mora) had done a good job of restoring and repairing the unit. But we are concerned that for the price of the Montana we would get a better fit and finished product than we got.

Mike and Char

MikeNChar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:04 AM   #2
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Yes people will tell you to expect this type of thing, after all it's an RV. Well for me this is BS, I don't expect this type of thing with my car or truck or my boat. None of these product have any workmanship issues. The RV industry really S#@ks and this will continue to happen as long as we accept this is the way it is. They are poor in workmanship and QC, then most of the time the dealer service is poor also. IMO it's a sad industry.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:49 AM   #3
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Totally agree with you, swanny.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:11 AM   #4
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
I agree with you also, just picked up our 3950. Haven't taken it out yet but found several issues.

1. Dealer called before we even picked it up and said one refig door had a scratch
2. Found 3 shades with pin holes
3. Found a crack, a chip and scratches on the front cap
4. found one lamp shade missing one nut
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:54 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Please report these issues to Keystone customer service.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #6
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Wow not to say it is OK that you found those flaws but man that is pretty minor stuff that sadly ANY brand would have and yes the RV industry needs better Quality control for sure but that is pretty minor stuff that your dealer caught and fixed,my 2015 had a few little flaws but I just fixed them myself and it's been smooth sailing of fulltiming for over a year and a few thousand miles now
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GLS3950

I agree with you also, just picked up our 3950. Haven't taken it out yet but found several issues.

1. Dealer called before we even picked it up and said one refig door had a scratch
2. Found 3 shades with pin holes
3. Found a crack, a chip and scratches on the front cap
4. found one lamp shade missing one nut
Old 03-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you go to the National Rally and take the factory tour it's an eye opener. 18 to 20 or more rigs start from a bare frame (no suspension) and run finished off the other end of the line each and every day. It's a wonder there aren't more issues.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:31 AM   #8
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
Yes they are minor except the front cap. The chip goes under the marker light and is colored to match the paint (looks like they tried to cover it up) and the crack will probably get worst over time.
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:03 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Like DQDick says a tour of ANY RV plant is a eye opener.Quality is NOT job one in the RV industry.If everyone toured a RV factory before the purchase..any brand they might not purchase one .We had 4 RV's before our first Montana. We worked RV shows and sold Rv's several different brands. We knew what to expect and there were no surprises.As we have said before IF there was a better quality 5th wheel in our price range we would have it.

We have had two Montana's, lots of live in time, lots of miles many problem minor and major. We prepared for that extended warranty (service contract) that has saved us a lot of $$ and Keystone has been good to us and over the top maintenance. It is all part of owning a RV.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:53 AM   #10
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Mike & Char, sounds like your unit came from the factory with a couple problems. I guess the good news is that Four Winds is taking care of everything. We are originally from the Peoria area and still return for a couple of months in the summer.

Last year I had a couple warranty issues on my Montana just before the factory warranty expired and the Four Winds facility in East Peoria generally refused to address them. Their attitude was that if you don't purchase your unit from them then they just don't have time to work on it. I do agree with what DQDick and Richfaa are saying, the RV builders sure don't take pride in the quality of their workmanship. It pretty much falls to the selling dealer to make things right in the end.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #11
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
RV build quality reminds me of the auto industry in the 70's and 80's. American made cars were a piece of crap for the most part until the Japanese imported autos that had far superior quality in fit, finish and engine quality made our manufactures step up to the plate. Once people started buying the other products our manufactures started making quality autos. Unfortunately there are no foreign or for the most part domestic competitors that sell RV's that are higher in quality than the average so we have just that to choose from what is available. Average to below average and every so often a really good unit. It seems like the manufactures are willing to sacrifice quality for quantity. That is where the profit is.
I like my 3160 but to be honest it has been at the dealer for more time than at my house or in actual use of camping. Keystone has not been very helpful. Probably end up fixing a lot of stuff myself the correct way after the warrantee is over.

Tom Marty
Old 03-24-2016, 03:27 AM   #12
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dam Worker

...RV build quality reminds me of the auto industry in the 70's and 80's. American made cars were a piece of crap for the most part until the Japanese imported autos that had far superior quality in fit, finish and engine quality made our manufactures step up to the plate. Once people started buying the other products our manufactures started making quality autos...
Tom Marty
Very true. In fact, with the exception of pick ups, we've never gone back to American sedans. The last American sedan we bought was in 1971. Even today, with American sedans doing much better, compare the trade in value of a Cadillac/Lincoln with a Lexus/Acura...not even close.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:49 AM   #13
Meauwataka
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17641
Here are a few answers to the problems that you have been having with your 3791RD, some of which we have had as well on the same unit.
1. Back up camera that is installed from the factory is only good up to 50'. With the length of your vehicle and the camper, it is not getting a good signal. Dealer replaced ours with a model that is good for up to 100' and everything is fine!
2. The scratching of the dining room floor is something we also had. It was caused by the screws that hold the table down were too long and were protruding through the underside. (Check the underside when slider is open). Our floor had to be replaced, along with shorter screws installed.

It took LOTS of fighting with the dealer, but finally have gotten these issues taken care of.

Good luck!
Meauwataka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #14
CWSWine
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18254
On the maiden trip with our Montana we were making a list of small things we need to get done when we got back. Then one afternoon a SOB 5er down from us had his entire black tank crush through bottom of the 5er. While he was standing there the dump line broke off the side of the tank and most of the contains of full black tank ended up on the ground.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:17 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We blew 4 holding tanks while standing still on our Florida lot over a two year period.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:03 AM   #16
Templef
Established Member

M.O.C. #18197
Last April we purchased a 3791rd Keystone Montana. The unit is beautiful but the quality control needs work. My unit is in the shop hopefully getting the last few things done on our unit. I can not express how frustrating my year has been trying to find service that will work on my unit. I am finding many keystone dealers will not work on my unit under warranty if you didn't purchase the unit from them. I had many minor things wrong with my unit like bulbs burnt out, trim falling down but I had so many major issues. My first trip I brought my elderly parents on this trip. My mom turned on the ceiling fan and it rained sparks. I thought my camper was on fire. I never knew my mom could jump over an island and fly out the door so fast. We went to pull out the two sofas to make them into beds and they overlapped each other. The recliner hit the couch when trying to recline and last the carbon minoxcide detector went off and would not shut off without us disconnecting the wires. Little did we know every time we were using our sink in the bathroom the water was going under the underbelly of my unit. Found out the pipe was never installed from the factory. That wasn't all our next trip hydraulic jacks would not work, slides would not seat right. On our next trip underbelly filled up with water again our grey tank busted. We spent more time this year taking it back and forth to service. That is another story on how we were treated in Service. We purchased our unit at Camping world in Jacksonville FL but we live in PA. Camping World Harrisburg PA was horrible to deal with. We went back to Javksonville and they did do the most to get my unit done but parts were on back order so we are trying to get things fixed in PA again.keystone gave us 300 dollars back for gas but that doesn't even come close to what it cost in gas, hotel fees, and aggravation. We at one point were all set up at a campsite and had to pack up and drive 2 1/2 hours back to our dealer to diagnose a problem. I was assigned a rep through Keystone and she is very nice but I feel her hands are tied. I asked several times for my warranty to be extended but I get the run around. This is only half of what we really went through and so many other things are wrong with our unit like our black tank reads full all the time. When we flush system out I get water under my sink in the bathroom. The Front A/C went out. I could go on and on. All I can say is it is one year later and I spent more time in service than I did taking trips and my problems still are not over. This is sad. In total around 100 documented issues were found. When you spend close to $70k (after add ons) you should be able to trust the unit you purchased has some sort of Quality control before it reaches the dealer....when people ask about my unit, I cringe as I cannot recommend the brand until they fix their issues.From the people working the line to the CEO of Hartland, they should be ashamed to tell people where there employed. Not sure I would buy a new Keystone again. 5-12-16 received a call from the keystone rep that has been working with me all year and she said when all work is complete she will see about getting my warranty extended so I can take a trip without anything going wrong which has not happened yet since purchase. I may have under estimated her ability and for that I apologize. She has been my shoulder all year. My unit is gorgeous I just want it to work right. In my opinion i feel we purchased a lemon and I know in production it could happen but it would have been cheaper to just swap the unit for us. I do give keystone a thumbs up for appointing us a rep. who is doing her best to get all our issues resolved. We are in the process of getting our roof replaced and black tank issues resolved . I think that should be the last of our problems I hope.
I spoke to many Keystone owners who never had any issues and many people come up to us while camping to comment on our unit because it is so beautiful. I can't wait to be able to smile and tell them how much I enjoy my unit.

Templef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:36 AM   #17
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Purchased my 2016 3791RD last May.
After reading these posts it almost sounds like bragging when I say the only "big" problem I have had was replacing the inverter.
I do agree that QC at the factory needs improvement. Talking to some local service folks, they say QC is basically being left to the dealerships. Probably not fun when you get your delivery walkthrough and something fails before you ever get to hook up.
ENDEAVER TO PERSEVERE

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:10 PM   #18
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Dang!!! that was like reading War and Peace sorry for your Lemon and your bad dealer but that is not the norm for most of us and I hope you get your problems resolved and get back on the road again and Enjoy your Monty..Good luck
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Templef

Last April we purchased a 3791rd Keystone Montana. The unit is beautiful but the quality control needs work. My unit is in the shop hopefully getting the last few things done on our unit. I can not express how frustrating my year has been trying to find service that will work on my unit. I am finding many keystone dealers will not work on my unit under warranty if you didn't purchase the unit from them. I had many minor things wrong with my unit like bulbs burnt out, trim falling down but I had so many major issues. My first trip I brought my elderly parents on this trip. My mom turned on the ceiling fan and it rained sparks. I thought my camper was on fire. I never knew my mom could jump over an island and fly out the door so fast. We went to pull out the two sofas to make them into beds and they overlapped each other. The recliner hit the couch when trying to recline and last the carbon minoxcide detector went off and would not shut off without us disconnecting the wires. Little did we know every time we were using our sink in the bathroom the water was going under the underbelly of my unit. Found out the pipe was never installed from the factory. That wasn't all our next trip hydraulic jacks would not work, slides would not seat right. On our next trip underbelly filled up with water again our grey tank busted. We spent more time this year taking it back and forth to service. That is another story on how we were treated in Service. We purchased our unit at Camping world in Jacksonville FL but we live in PA. Camping World Harrisburg PA was horrible to deal with. We went back to Javksonville and they did do the most to get my unit done but parts were on back order so we are trying to get things fixed in PA again.keystone gave us 300 dollars back for gas but that doesn't even come close to what it cost in gas, hotel fees, and aggravation. We at one point were all set up at a campsite and had to pack up and drive 2 1/2 hours back to our dealer to diagnose a problem. I was assigned a rep through Keystone and she is very nice but I feel her hands are tied. I asked several times for my warranty to be extended but I get the run around. This is only half of what we really went through and so many other things are wrong with our unit like our black tank reads full all the time. When we flush system out I get water under my sink in the bathroom. The Front A/C went out. I could go on and on. All I can say is it is one year later and I spent more time in service than I did taking trips and my problems still are not over. This is sad. In total around 100 documented issues were found. When you spend close to $70k (after add ons) you should be able to trust the unit you purchased has some sort of Quality control before it reaches the dealer....when people ask about my unit, I cringe as I cannot recommend the brand until they fix their issues.From the people working the line to the CEO of Hartland, they should be ashamed to tell people where there employed. Not sure I would buy a new Keystone again. 5-12-16 received a call from the keystone rep that has been working with me all year and she said when all work is complete she will see about getting my warranty extended so I can take a trip without anything going wrong which has not happened yet since purchase. I may have under estimated her ability and for that I apologize. She has been my shoulder all year. My unit is gorgeous I just want it to work right. In my opinion i feel we purchased a lemon and I know in production it could happen but it would have been cheaper to just swap the unit for us. I do give keystone a thumbs up for appointing us a rep. who is doing her best to get all our issues resolved. We are in the process of getting our roof replaced and black tank issues resolved . I think that should be the last of our problems I hope.
I spoke to many Keystone owners who never had any issues and many people come up to us while camping to comment on our unit because it is so beautiful. I can't wait to be able to smile and tell them how much I enjoy my unit.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:15 AM   #19
Templef
Established Member

M.O.C. #18197
5-25-16. UPDATE. Well I wish I can say my unit is right but it is not but I do have to say the Keystone Rep I was assigned is fantastic. The one good thing I do have to say about Keystone is they do approve and follow up on issues. My rep has been by my side for 13 months. We are working out issues one by one. My unit is beautiful and I will be happy when all this is done but at least I can say Keystone Warranty dept. is awsome and if you purchase one you will not be left hanging. I do believe I got a lemon off the line. It can happen to any dealership. Keystone is fixing our issues one by one.i can't wait to report everything is done.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #20
Templef
Established Member

M.O.C. #18197
Update on on my 3791RD, my unit is out of the shop again!!!!! Replaced underbelly,restrecched the roof and fixed tank sensors,,,Again 5day job turned into 4wks...Keystone says they will extend wrntee,can't wait for Goshen...want to meet people from factory to express my frustration. After 15 months I hope my ordeal is over...thanks to shelly from. keystone for her support during the last 8 mo.( she needs a raise). Shame on Keystone for allowing such poor workmanship to leave their facility... No S@&T over 100 issues(Documented) I hope (Pray) my next trip is uneventful , so I can actually relax and enjoy my unit