Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #21
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I think if Glenn the fifth needs another, then he's getting a sixth. But I think Glenn the fifth will plead the fifth when drinking his sixth.

You mentioned the rig is plugged in as usual, but what are you plugged into? If plugged into a house circuit this should solve the battery being too weak problem because the converter also gets introduced and will supply enough power if the batteries are weak. At least this is what happens in my case if the batteries are weak. If connected the TV and using its batteries it's pretty much the same thing. In either of these cases if the slides or hydraulics don't work then it's either a cable, or something about the motors. Both motors not working implies is something common to the slideout and landing leg circuits. Is there a disconnect switch? Do other 12v things work in the rig?

Good luck with the rig. Keep us posted.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #22
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Art...you made me dizzy with that one about the fifths and sixths....(and I don't even drink!)

Anyway, finally got through to Lippert after at first and endless (25 minute) hold and then disconnect (love those). The second time was on hold for about 20 minutes and then got to talk to a REAL person! (will wonders never cease)

Got some tricks to try from them when I get home today. Basically just manual operation of the valves while "hot wiring" the pump. He told how to open the various valves with an allen wrench and then operating the pump. Already kind of knew that from looking through the tech manual. Was just sitting here thinking....the legs have to go two directions (in and out) if you can just "open" each valve with an allen wrench, how do you control the direction they are moving? Guess I will have to figure that out too.

Art, the trailer sits on a nice 45 foot long concrete pad next to the house with a 30 amp campground type pedestal next to it. The previous owner also put a dump station out there on the pad. Nice setup he left me (really one of the reasons I bought the house, but don't tell my wife that).
Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #23
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
After getting home and trying all of the trouble shooting known to man (and all that was listed in the Lippert service manual) it was (insert drum roll here).....a bad pump motor (Keith of Keith and Brenda fame guessed correct). Got in there again and started looking around for loose connections first to make sure I did not miss one. Then I tried a small jumper wire from the solenoid to either of the directional post on the motor...nothing. Noticed some discoloration (cause unknown) on the post facing to the rear of the trailer. Looked like it had gotten pretty hot. Took the motor off of the pump (incredibly easy, just two bolts on top of motor). Pulled motor off and inspected, nothing real obvious and it seemed to turn fine. Took off brush side cover and noticed some areas of extra heat on the inside opposite of post that was discolored outside. Small piece of unknown material inside motor by brushes (about a 1/4 inch oblong dark plastic looking piece). Put it back together just to see if it would work, nothing once again. Went through the manual retrieval of "Level Up" legs (back four) using Dewalt Driver. Two on driver side on one valve, other side on another valve. Then got the truck ready to hook up the trailer and went through manual method to raise and lower landing gear legs (that valve in driver side propane tank door). Had never done manual retrieval before. Not too bad in nice weather at your own house. Probably not a lot of fun if you are trying it in the pouring rain on a Sunday morning trying to get out of a campsite. At least now I can get it to the service center and let them install the dinette and now replace that bad pump motor. Thanks to all for the suggestions! I will let you know if they find anything else that I may have missed. -Glenn
Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #24
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
SUPER, glad you got her done for the trip to the repair shop. A lesser man would have given up
Stay safe out there.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Glenn:
I have looked at that small motor many times and thought "I sure hope whoever designed this is an expert in their field because it sure doesn't look overdesigned to me". The other question is "where does it come from". I'm betting China but I don't want to be responsible for a new rash of China posts.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote