Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I found the leak, surprise!

The leak I thought was the gutter turned out to be the underside of the refrigerator access door trim. The access door trim was installed with no calking, and then a neat thin bead around the top and sides, but the bottom was intermittent and poorly calked. After removing the door and trim it is plain to see the dark and wet wood behind the smooth aluminum siding. I am glad it is an easy fix and was caught before rot set in. I never would have thought the underside would leak as much as it did! After drying thoroughly and calking real good we are ready for the next rain.

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
That's great news. Congrats on your sleuthing and remedy. Way to go!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:51 AM   #3
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Thanks, that leak must have used the leaf guard concept. The surface tension must have caused the water to flow back up about 1/4 inch. There was absolutely no sign of any water anywhere other than up under the trim. When I used my compressor and blew behind the trim, water bubbled out from under the bottom of the trim.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote