Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Underbelly

Well, I was out there getting the RV ready to depart for Sandusky tomorrow . . under the beast checking the torque on the u-bolts, etc. and I noticed that the whatchacallit black-seal stuff was sagging a lot in some places. I pushed up on it in a couple of spots and it sounds like cables, plumbing, and who knows what is actually resting on that piece of "stuff". Man, I don't have time to pull it before I leave and lace up the cables, etc. but good grief - if the belly-seal wasn't there would those cables be dragging on the highway? I would expect that as it aged some might come loose, but it's a 9 month old 2010 3400.
Jerry

Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jerry, Ours is an '06 and we have never had the belly pan off. I think you should go and have a great time. When you get some spare time maybe you could pull it down and check. These things are not perfect but sometimes I think reading this forum so much that many problems seem to be exacerbated. Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:03 AM   #3
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
The many times I have looked at the underside of our Montana, I have always thought the material covering the underside looks an awful lot like "cardboard." I have been afraid to confirm this since I would not be really happy to confirm that my rig is made out of cardboard...
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:40 AM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Jerry, Like Phil, ours is an 06 with about 30K on it. The belly pan has never been off but does have some sag. I don't feel anything on top of it when I push up on the sagging area's. I figure the minimal sag is normal depending on how many wet roads I have towed over. Might be wrong on the cause but like Phil I'm just going to keep on driving until something gives me a stronger indication to check further. Look under some of the other units At Sandusky. I'll bet many of them look the same as yours. Of course if you do find a definitive cause to the sag please let us know. Jim
Old 07-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've had the belly covering off several times. It's not cardboard. It's a material that's used predominately by the RV industry. It is sturdy, but has some sag to it due to the span that it covers. In colder weather you should note that some of the sag is gone. At least that's the way our rig is. A good thing to keep in mind is that the more you remove it and reinstall it, the holes where the screws go through tend to enlarge. What I did was purchase a bunch of fender washers to install under the heads of the bolts. This provides better strength to prevent the holes from tearing out. Just an idea.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I have had our belly pan down several times in various places and have never seen anything lying on top of it and never had a problem putting it back up.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:43 AM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I've had the belly covering off several times. It's not cardboard. It's a material that's used predominately by the RV industry. It is sturdy, but has some sag to it due to the span that it covers. In colder weather you should note that some of the sag is gone. At least that's the way our rig is. A good thing to keep in mind is that the more you remove it and reinstall it, the holes where the screws go through tend to enlarge. What I did was purchase a bunch of fender washers to install under the heads of the bolts. This provides better strength to prevent the holes from tearing out. Just an idea.

Orv
Thanks Orv! Glad I am not pulling a cardboard rig. Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That underbelly is pretty sturdy stuff and it does sag some. Mine has been down many times and although it is not a pretty sight in there we have not seen stuff laying on the underbelly. I don't think anything under vtere is long enough to drag on the ground even if the underbelly did come down..which I doubt.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:27 AM   #9
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Okay then, I'll wait 'till I have to pull it loose for something and take a peek.
Thanks,
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:07 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When you tour the factory at the fall rally you will get to see what is under there. Bring the camera and some tranquilizers.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:57 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I believe the underbelly material is corrugated ABS. I've had ours down a couple times; seems to hold up rather well.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote