Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2008, 03:43 AM   #1
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Need Help with Smashed Awning

This is NOT what we mean by "tree huggers"! I rubbed our awning up against a tree getting into an RV spot. The aft end cap is smashed and the last foot or so of the tube is mashed to about 1/2 it's original diameter. I'm afraid to open it for fear that I can't get it back into a "towable" condition and we are on a trip for another 5 weeks. My question is wheather or not this thing can be repaired or if I just need to replace the whole thing. It WAS in good condition yesterday. Can I buy just the end cap and try to restore the "roundness" of the tube? What's inside that thing - a spring that runs the whole length? A spring at each end? It's an AandE by Dometic awning, but I can't see the model name/no. because it's on the inside of the arm. Ironically I installed one of the good awning locks the day before we left to prevent wind ruining my awning - instead Hurricane Larry got it !!

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:56 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
There is a powerful spring at the end with the latch. It can be very dangerous if you don't handle it right. When we damaged our awning (by a different process) I took it to the dealer for repair. In our case it was covered by our insurance, but this may depend on what coverage you have. Chances are that if you can unroll it, it will roll up again, but I think I would be inclined to leave it alone and take to a dealer when you can. (Our incident was long ago on an SOB.)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:08 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Thanks for the info. I haven't found a diagram of the "innards" yet. My insurance is no deductable, $1500 max, but is "cash value" and ours is a 2000 model, so it may just be better to not claim. If all the spring mechanism is at the latch end then this end might be repairable.I'm hoping someone who lost an awning to the wind might have this end piece just lying around and want to make a couple of bucks off it. This is loooong awning (at least 18 ft.) and would probably be quite expensive to replace and of course I'd probably want the electric one if they make them that long.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:52 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
VanMan,
We also have a 2000 model. Personally, I wouldn't attempt a repair myself. I tried once to tighten the spring on one end and messed it up badly--almost took my fingers off. Let the people who do this type of thing have at it. I'm pretty sure that if it will unroll, you will be able to roll it up. I just looked at our awning and noticed a flat spot about two feet long on it. Must have happened in 2005 when I got too close to a pole. There was $3200 other damage and we missed the awning. It still works well so I'm not worried about it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I have the arms and springs for the awning, if you need pm me for further details. If it is for a Montana 5th wheel.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gitrdun

I have the arms and springs for the awning, if you need pm me for further details. If it is for a Montana 5th wheel.
I was hoping somebody that installed the electric power arms kept the old stuff!

We just threw out both springs and a foward arm, as we couldn't find a home for them.

Vanman - there are springs at both ends, about 16" long. They have a large aluminum cross at the end that slides down the awning tube between the ridges to lock that and of the spring, the the rest gets wound like a shade.

If you still have the steel awning tube instead of aluminum, it might benefit you just to replace the awning. The steel ones would rust from the inside out like the old chrome plumbing.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:54 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hurricane Larry! (ha)
I'm assuming it is not a power awning, but the standard awning, and the tube you are referring to is the tube the fabric wraps up around. When I got a quote on replacemnt of arms, awning, etc., the whole thing was under $1000. The arms were about 250, and the awning was about 350-400. You are correct in not contacting the insurance company. Since you were moving the vehicle, it will be recorded as a "moving accident." A couple of those and your insurance rate will go up considerable. (Don't ask how I know)

Edited: And yes, best left to the professionals to install.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I had my awning tube collapse about two years ago. It cost me $600 to have the tube shipped and installed at the dealer. I will see if I have any pictures of the tube on my computer but I think they were on the old laptop that crashed.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote