Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Drakhorn

M.O.C. #3428
Replacement for Apollo 1/2 time oven

We have owned our 2005 Montana 3500RL since 2005, when we bought it new. The microwave has been a pain ever since. Keystone replaced it once, within the first 3 months, when the door failed. The seal broke beyond repair within a few days of the 1 year warranty expiring. We do NOT want to replace with an Apollo. Does anyone out there know of another brand that will fit in the alloted space? It does not have to be a 1/2 TIme oven - just a decent microwave.

Drakhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Welcome to the Forum Drakhorn!

At the time, I could not find a suitable 1/2 time oven replacement due to the required venting and clearance, however - Keystone now uses a Sylvania 1/2 time oven that fits in that space. I do not know the details but the Dealer should have the info. I could not find the actual oven on the web page, so it may be a proprietary model for RVs.

We replaced our Apollo with the standard Microwave. Our Apollo NEVER cooked or heated anything, as it broke first time out. We figured we could never miss what we never had the chance to use.

We opted for the Amana Radarange in black, primairily because it had a ducted ventilation system as part of an optional trim kit, and because it had a very sexy chime. No other reasons than that, as there are plenty out there to choose from. The Micro is 1.4 cf available at Sears for $139 and the trim kit was $69. I did have to cut about 3/8" off the top and bottom of the opening to get the trim to fit, and I secured the microwave to the base with sheet metal screws, as it just was a gravity mount.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I haven't replaced mine yet...but I haven't used it yet either. As a rule I don't cook unless it comes from a menu.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I replaced mine with a Panasonic Inverter microwave oven. One of their models fits in the same bezel, but would need new feet support. One advantage of the Panasonic is that you can run it at lower power levels and it reduces the current that it draws rather than pulsing the microwave tube on and off at full power. Great if you're boondocking and using a generator.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We had a Amana Microwave/Convection oven in our Cambridge and it worked flawless. DW cook almost anything she wanted to. And at the time we were full timing. As a matter of fact we had very minor problems with the Cambridge. Thanks Keystone for building a awesome 5th wheel, wish you would put all those standard features in the Big Sky? I would recomend the Amana. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Art
Sorry to hear about your problem. We had an 2006 with and Apollo 1/2 time oven. The door give us problems but got it fixed. We bought a new 2009 with the Sylvania convection oven and it lasted 2 weeks before it started to not work right. Since we have not had any cooperation between the dealer and Keystone on getting it fixed, I guess we will wait until we get to Goshen or home. The Sylvania is not any better. Just our opinion. LOL
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
Keystone is using a Sharp model in the new 08/09's.
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Keystone must be using Sharp's ALSO - The 08 units I looked at had the Sylvania Model SM12011 or something like that, which is a Sylvania model number.

Wonder how the Sharps are working
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote