Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
Grrowlerr
Established Member

M.O.C. #6887
Slide Toppers Again....

Ok, I asked some questions a while ago about slide topper installations and they finally got my installed correctly and were working, until a couple of weeks ago when I tried to put the slides out and the bedroom slide hung up again. It looks to me like the bottom is going out, but the top is sticking. My dealer tells me it has nothing to do with the slide toppers and it was because the bed was not attached to the slide very well, but it seems to me that the reason the bed has come loose is because the top of the slide is not going out. Anyway, now they say they have them working although the slide still hangs a little going out and when you bring it in, it hangs a little and then pops in. According to the dealer this is fine, but it doesn't seem fine to me. Anyway, just wanted to get any opinions on this and if anybody that has slide toppers has this same issue.

Grrowlerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have had slide toppers (A & E installed at CW, Burlington, WA) since June of last year and have not had any problems as you mention. We started out with our couch in that slide but after about 5 months we moved the couch to the rear and put one recliner in its place. I'm having a little problem deciphering your post. Are you having problems with the slides or slide toppers????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Grrowlerr
Established Member

M.O.C. #6887
The problem is with the slide in the bedroom coming out, but we didn't have any issues until we had the toppers installed. To give you a little history, when we first had the toppers installed, they installed the bedroom topper incorrectly and the slide would not come out at all because of the way the topper was installed. I feel that there is still some kind of issue with the installation of the toppers. We had talked to Dometic and they have offered to find us another dealer in the area to check the installation, that might be our next step. Mostly just want to know if anybody else has had any similiar issues.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I understand now. I think if slide toppers had been installed correctly, as mine, you should not be having a problem with your slide, unless the two are just coincidental.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Grrowlerr, as exav8tr says, that is not right. Your slides should go out easily with no jerking and no hanging up going in either direction. Do as Dometic suggests and see another dealer.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
It might be that Dometic is trying to say, "read between the lines," when they say to go to another dealer. They don't want to get themselves in trouble by bad mouthing a dealer, but I would read their suggestion that not all may be well with the dealer you have been dealing with.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ditto,

Go to the next dealer!! ASAP

Just does not sound right, and no, we don't have that problem with our factory installed slide toppers.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Also, make sure you are as level as possible. It has made some of my slides hang up. Had issues with my kitchen slide. Seemed the topper was holding the top of the slide back. A few slide adjustments and after not seeming to help, it suddenly has been going out fine and sealing tight. Not sure why. All other slides are fine.

I found that many times the slides hung up intermittently when I was not level. Moved to level and it cured the problem. Also make sure you are hooked to shore power. Big difference in power that way.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
That does sound strange...I self installed my toppers and usually Murphy does his best to get me. No problem with mine as my slides operate same as before the toppers.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:40 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
It sure sounds as though something is binding during travel and only releases when enough pressure has been put on it. Possibly the binding is due to something they did when they initially installed the topper wrong. In any event, I would make them correct it before you get stuck somewhere with it partially in or out.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:15 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Al mentioned that the topper may be wound too tightly???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:04 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I think next time it hangs going out, I would get the ladder out and check the tension on the fabric and roller on the topper. IIRC, the tension is roughly one turn on the roller tube per length of topper. If it is installed correctly, you should be able to slack the fabric using the arm that locks the tube when against the RV, or by merely grasping the tube with both hands and turning it to release fabric.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #13
Grrowlerr
Established Member

M.O.C. #6887
I appreciate all the information from all of you. I think I will take Dometic up on their offer and at least have another dealer look at it. I will post an update here after I find out anything. Thanks again for all the info!
Old 06-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #14
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ok...so when I installed mine there was no "pre-load" to the awning. In other words I set the awning into the rail that I screwed into the side of the rig and then attached to the two corner brackets on the slide. They have zero tension in retracted position....you can check yours by loosening the locking screws on the corner brackets and sliding the hex tubes left then right to get the awning off and unfurl until there is no pre-roll load except for enough to keep it from billowing when retracted. Make sense??
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Grrowlerr

Ok, I asked some questions a while ago about slide topper installations and they finally got my installed correctly and were working, until a couple of weeks ago when I tried to put the slides out and the bedroom slide hung up again. It looks to me like the bottom is going out, but the top is sticking. My dealer tells me it has nothing to do with the slide toppers and it was because the bed was not attached to the slide very well, but it seems to me that the reason the bed has come loose is because the top of the slide is not going out. Anyway, now they say they have them working although the slide still hangs a little going out and when you bring it in, it hangs a little and then pops in. According to the dealer this is fine, but it doesn't seem fine to me. Anyway, just wanted to get any opinions on this and if anybody that has slide toppers has this same issue.
When our 3400 was new the bedroom slide would hang up a little, then jump and go on in or out. It turned out there is a piece this slide rides on that goes crosswise along the bottom of the slide opening. That piece was too short. It was replaced with the correct size and we've had no more problems with it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote