Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Reading Lights

Apparently have a "short" in one of the two lights above the recliners in the ceiling area. This is not the lights on the wall with the shades. I know how to remove the cover to replace bulbs but how do you remove the fixture to check the wires? I assume you pull the entire fixture out to check the wires. But, being cautious at this point. Thanks,

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #2
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
This is something that I have not done in our Montana but I have done in previous RV's. If you pull the lenses off you should see some screws that you can remove to take housing off and check the wiring.

Tom Marty
Old 03-24-2016, 12:58 AM   #3
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I had a similar problem with the light in the ceiling above my center island. It started flickering and finally went out. Same thought, short or loose wiring. I was able to get to the wiring, it was all good. It turned out to be the light bulb itself. The filament was loose, so it would flicker on and off. Ok, replace blub, easy fix. now the blub was out, put the other lights would not work. Figured out that all the blubs have to be in for the whole light fixture to work. On that fixture, the blub came out by pushing in and turning. Next was finding the right blub. No auto parts store had one in the area, ended up ordering one online.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
I had tried a new light bulb and didn't work. I can not see any screws to loosen to get to the wires. There is a reflective piece inside the fixture around the bulb. It may just pull out but not ready to "force" anything. These lights are in front of the overhead cabinets in the rear and recessed in the luan or wood ceiling trim.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote