Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Panel Bowing

On the 3400RL, we have a wrap around sink counter. Behind the sink counter and in front and to the side of the stove, is a panel that has the carbon monoxide alarm at the bottom. This panel is bowing outward as if it has become vrey compressed. The slid is still missing it. If I push on it, it is under a lot of pressure like the wood has expanded by several inches in all directions. The counter hasn't dropped and the floor hasn't raised that I can see. What could have caused this and has anyone else experienced this? Not sure what to do about it.

01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
First, it's probably a propane alarm. Carbon monoxide monitors are mounted high, propane alarms are low.

I think the wood has warped. These are very thin sheets and I've seen this happen. Coupled with the extra weight of the propane alarm this could have helped a piece of thin veneer-like wood to warp.

This probably happened at the factory. When thin pieces of wood are stored for long periods they cool down a lot. Before using them the pieces should be set aside for a day (or two) to allow it to warm up to the climate of the installation. If you don't do this warping can occur. I've also seen this problem with wood flooring and it isn't allowed enough time to cure to the ambient temperature.

My propane alarm is attached to a panel similar to this but the panel is very small and the chance of warping decreases with the size of the panel. I'm guessing your panel is larger and therefore has a greater chance of warping especially with the extra weight of even that propane alarm.

For fixing it, I can't help you there other than replacing it which could be a lot of work because of its location.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
It happened to our 340RLQ as well, but the fix was relatively easy - the panel is just stapled in so if you take off the trim and pry at it from an edge, it will pop off. Trim it and reinstall. You can also push it from the inside by taking the access panel cover off on the living room side for the water heater bypass.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Our panel is bowed a little also. Don't plan to do anything unless it becomes a problem. Ours is not even close to the slide, and pretty much out of sight but knowing DW I will probably get orders sooner or later. Good luck!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I'm betting on sooner.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Sounds like you have the problem that Ozz had. It was a broke support that goes up the wall. When that happens the weight of the counter is what is causing the panel to bow. Maybe Ozz will post some pictures.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
06 3400..same problem. Nothing is broke inside as I checked I think the panel is just warped maybe from the hot water tank that is right there. I decided it was to much work to remove the panel and make it right so warped it stays.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

I'm betting on sooner.
You are probably right, as soon as she notices.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:35 AM   #9
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
I see I'm not the only one to whom this has happened. Thanks so much for all the input. The unit is a 2007, of which we bought new, and the panel only did it I suspect over the winter. It wasn't like that last fall. It's only about a 3x4 panel, and yes, it's a propane alarm, I wasn't thinking. The other one is above the bed. My mistake, but you got the right panel of which I was speaking. I don't see any signs of the counter falling, but will check everything through the access panel. I wonder if the water heater behind this panel might of had something to do with this. It's strange it just happened after all this time. Thanks again to everyone for you help!!!
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:40 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Happened to me on my '06 3400 and the dealer just removed it and trimmed off the bottom and reinstalled. Result - Good as new!!!!! No problems in 4 years since....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote