Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2011, 04:16 AM   #1
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
5th Wheel Problems

Since we sold our 3400RL, I've been spending a great deal of time on a MH web site...not the one associated with RV Net. That site covers all makes and models, diesel and gas. On that site, I have NEVER seen a post concerning any type of problem with any vehicle's axles, wheels, tires, brakes, suspension, shocks, frame or anything else related to the structure or strength of the coach. Our MH is heavy at 35,000 GW with a GCWR of 50,000...yes, it has a 15,000 trailer hitch capacity. Yet no problems.

However, this forum is full of problems in the areas noted above. Maybe Keystone, Lippert, and the 5th wheel industry need to beef up the structure of their products. I doubt they will, because pretty soon it would take more than a dually to haul them, and they won't want that.

Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:27 AM   #2
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I believe that is an apples to oranges comparison. In our travels we have met folks that have had axle problems, engine breakdowns, transmission troubles, and the like. The frames are probably much stronger as you related with the weight. The need to carry the engine and transmission require more frame. I believe the needs of the MH to the 5'rs are different in frame structure and the obvious price points each market is striving. One of the biggest issues when we all buy is what we look to spend and what value we can get for that money.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Please remember that a MH chasis is built for 35,000 with many safety features that must meet the automotive safety requirements and a 5th wheel is 12,000 to 16,000 with no engine power train etc. I have never had any suspension problems with all the trucks I've had through the years either. The 5th wheels are getting larger and heavier and are likely running borderline with suspension packages that should likely be in the 8,000 to 10,000 lb rating per axle. Yes I have completed some modifiactions to my rigs suspension but cost was very low like $140 to add another spring leaf etc. A 5th wheel cost new is say $40,000 to 60,000. A Class MH likely will average $150,000 to 300,000.
Repairs to MHs: tires $4000, leveling system control module $750, Windshield wiper problems $$$, Oil and filter change for the diesel $200, Other engine to frame problems and maint. etc. My brother in law runs a 40 footer and I do not want his bills to maintain and keep it in top shape. I'll stay with Monty and the TV which I feel is easier to trade sell individually than a complete MH. I previously had a Class A when our children were small and really liked it for specific applications; we then sold it because of the huge investment in it and the need for a heavier truck for multi applications 12 months of the year. At the end of the day we all have a choice and we are fortunate that we continue to have that choice. IMHO.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I agree with the last two posts. Apples vs oranges.....As long as 5th wheels remain in the $40-$80k range we will have inherent problems. If I had a 5th wheel costing $300-$800k I would expect more. By the way, I believe I fixed all my suspension problems by going to the MorRyde Independent Suspension. Cost a little more but well worth it, in my mind....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I have a relative who has a MH- His expenses to keep his unit on the road far exceed what we have experienced to maintain our 12 year old 5th wheel- In fact he is strongly considering "down sizing" to a 5th wheel- I think current market conditions is the primary reason he has not switched- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I guess we could also look at the handful of posts on problems and compare it to the listed membership of what-5,000?
Probably very few percentage-wise.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
I recall seeing a motor home, or at least what was left of it, along route 75, north of Tampa, a few years ago. It had burnt to the ground...and then there have been those that I have seen broken down along the highways we have traveled back and forth across the country...guess those folks opted to deal with their issues on their own rather than share solutions with others on the net....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
far different units and far different standards. MH's are built on a truck chassis..far stronger.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
This is the Montana Owners Club for those of us that love our Montanas and want to share our upgrades and repairs.
If most of us wanted a MH we would probably have one. If we ever buy a MH we will never knock Montanas.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
We got rid of our MH last year. The expense to keep it running was killing me, not to mention the time it spent being repaired. I figured it was costing me
$1,000 a month to keep it running and it had very low miles on it. When towing the jeep I was getting around 5 mpg. My payments for the Montana and the Dodge 3500 cost me less than the monthly bill on the MH.. I now have bigger and better for less and far better gas milage. To me it was well worth the swap. I also have to mention well known manufacturer of the MH left a lot to be desired in helping with the problems we had - No support at all. So far this is the best thing we have
done since we got into camping.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Well I for one have changed to the wet bolts and the self-ajust brakes. BTW there was nothing wrong with my suspension or brakes But on here I feel I have to keep up with all the mods. You folks are KILLING ME!!!LOL. BTW I love my montana and my old truck and I'm Keeping both!!
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think that if a Montana was built on a frieght liner chassis and suspension if might hold up better . Really not sure what the OP was trying to get across???
Old 03-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #13
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
We thought long and hard when we were deciding which way to go ... 5th wheel or MH. In the end the Montana won out and I'm glad we chose it. The MH are beautiful but the ones that might tempt me are WAY out of my price range and ability to maintain. I feel very fortunate to have this luxury. So many good folks out there are just struggling to get by.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #14
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

We thought long and hard when we were deciding which way to go ... 5th wheel or MH. In the end the Montana won out and I'm glad we chose it. The MH are beautiful but the ones that might tempt me are WAY out of my price range and ability to maintain. I feel very fortunate to have this luxury. So many good folks out there are just struggling to get by.
Well said, I couldn't agree more!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:34 AM   #15
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Having been a Holiday Rambler 36' and a Monaco Diplomat 40' MH owner, everything dealing with these units were more expensive, e.g., cost, maintenance, insurance, titling, taxes, service, tires, etc. Go on You Tube and type in RV fires and you will see nothing but MH fires. I am glad that I finally woke up!
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:55 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think what the OP was trying to say was that a MH is better built that any 5th wheel. The MH is built to vehicle standards and on large truck frames and suspension. I agree but the OP could have said it in a bit better way. The 5th wheel industry does not build on large truck frames/ suspension. If they did it would be a MH less the drive train and most of us could not afford it.

It would be a great idea tho... who will be the first manufacturer to step up.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #17
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by helmick

This is the Montana Owners Club for those of us that love our Montanas and want to share our upgrades and repairs.
If most of us wanted a MH we would probably have one. If we ever buy a MH we will never knock Montanas.
Agree....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #18
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
All trailer manufacturers are too concerned with weight to go super beefy on the frames and such. No company wants the slogan: "better have a 2011 dually to tow this". I would love to have a bit tougher frame and G rated tires and have the towing capacity to handle the weight increase, but Keystone and others want to be able to sell to SRW and 2500 drivers too. Duallies are not for everyone. As far as motorhomes go they are very nice and have many advantages. We are weekenders/vacationers, so I would not be willing to invest $100,000 or more in a unit just to camp and travel in. The Montana was very reasonable and very nice! Plus I can use my truck everyday. The cost and upkeep on a motorhome would far outweigh the upkeep on a Monatana. But that's just us. It's just like everything else in life. Different strokes for different folks.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:42 AM   #19
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Hey fellas, take it easy, cut me some slack...didn't mean to get you all riled up. Please don't read something in my post which is not there...I simply made an observation, which I think is true...trailer manufacturers could do a better job on the frames, brakes, axles, suspensions, etc. And, for the record I was not bad mouthing Montana...we loved our 3400, it was/is the best floor plan we've ever seen in ANY rig. If we were going to buy a 5th wheel tomorrow, it would be the new 3400. The MH is much more expensive to own and operate, no question, but we wanted to give it a shot.

As noted in an earlier post, different units different standards...maybe it is an apples to oranges comparison.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote