Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2010, 05:29 AM   #1
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Kitchen slide leak

My kitchen slide has a rain water leak some where. It has a topper. All the seals are in good condition. The seals around the fridge and oven vent are good too.
This leak seems to happen either while driving in the rain or when it rains hard with high winds.
We get water as high as the counter top and also along the floor of the slide, along the outside wall. It gets wet in the center area and not at the extreme ends.
The top vent of the fridge has evidence of water and road grime in side of it. That could be a point of entry but I can't plug the vent. Has anyone got ideas on to deal with this?

camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Where is Wayne when you need him? I think he came up with a fix for this.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
yep, Wayne did, he copied mine, but he did post it with pictures, might try a search for it. I'm sure Wayne will blunder along in a while and point you in the correct direction.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I searched and found his fix. Pictures and all. I just put the recommended fixes in place. We'll see how they work. I'm curious to see if the cooling fan runs more often on the frig because of blocking off about half of the top vent. On the other hand It might help the cooling draft because all air drafting up will have to go thru the coil.

If anyone has tried this please let me know how it worked.
Thanks
Old 06-12-2010, 03:21 AM   #5
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Rain last night... wet all over again. The Frig. outside vent areas are dry.
I'm at a loss. I'm about ready to remove the stove and frig to look for something...
Any other ideas?
Old 06-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ken-- Are you out of warranty yet? With a 2009 unit I would presume not. IF not take it into the dealer or a dealer near by and have them figure it out! If Wayne's fixes don't work, can't think of anything else!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Out of warranty. We bought it in May 2008. One of the first 2009's. I should be able to find it. It is not a small leak. I've pulled screws and caulked, caulked everything I can see even if it looked good.
There is no water visible from under the slide. The roof is kept dry with the slide topper. Etc... Anyway, today is a slow drizzle and lots of water on the outside wall, the center of the slide having the most water. It wicks from there to the rest of the slide.
If I get it fixed, I'll post.
In the mean time, any ideas are appreciated.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:47 AM   #8
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I found the leak.
The small trim strip that goes the length of the slide, (goes down both sides of the camper). The caulk along the top edge, looked great. It was letting water into the floor and it wicked thru the rug, all over. I cleaned the old caulk and put a fresh bead over it. Last night we had a heavy rain/hail storm and not a drop inside.
Thanks for the help. I hope this helps others with hard to find leaks.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Credit where credit is due.

I originally gave credit to Jim, so let's call it:

Jim's Refrigerator Vent Leak Fix

Even if I did have to do all the picture takin'

Now take note: The newer model Monty's have been modified. The screws now go horizontal into the wood frame instead of down through the stop. They also added 3 drip holes. I guess someone is paying attention to what this forum has to say? Thanks Keystone.

If your vent screws are vertical you may need the fix.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote