Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
billaero1
Established Member

M.O.C. #104
Slide-out roof

Does anyone know what kind of white tape is used on the slide roof? It runs parallel with the outer slide flange. Mine has begun to roll up and needs replacing. I don't think duct tape will surfice for this application.

Thanks

billaero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by billaero1

Does anyone know what kind of white tape is used on the slide roof? It runs parallel with the outer slide flange. Mine has begun to roll up and needs replacing. I don't think duct tape will surfice for this application.

Thanks
That tape is called Eternabond. It comes in 4" wide x 50' in length rolls. You can buy it at Camping World and/or a lot of RV accessory stores. I buy mine at Best Materials on the internet. It's a lot cheaper there than at retail stores.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:55 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Some Wally Worlds are now carrying Eternabond patch kits...I think it's 10.'
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:13 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Some Wally Worlds are now carrying Eternabond patch kits...I think it's 10.'
The patch kits are just that: for patching localized holes. For taping the slideout roof or for covering tree limb abrasions that occur along the top of the RV roof, the 4" tape is the only way to go.

A caution is needed here. Clean the entire area to be taped with rubbing alcohol. Then proceed to lay the tape down after beginning to remove the backing from it. Be careful when you stick it down -- be sure you have it where you want it because once it's stuck, it's stuck -- you can't move it.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:47 AM   #5
billaero1
Established Member

M.O.C. #104
Thanks folks. I didn't know that Keystone used Eternabond.
billaero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:06 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:

While I am not saying the Eternabond will not be a good replacement, I don't think Keystone does use it on the OEM roof. It looks to me that it is merely a strip of the rubber roof (I feel confident they have lots of trim offs laying around). We had the same problem on the bedroom slide (same basic floor plan as 2955)and they re-roofed the whole slide under warranty. Not sure why they did that.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:

Whether they use Eternabond or not is not the question. What you need is Eternabond to make your repair. Don't try to take the OEM strip off or you'll create a hole in the roofing. Just leave it there and place two strips of Eternabond overlapping along then entire edge of the slideout roof. I used Eternabond strips along the outer edge of all three of our slideouts as well as using it along the edge of the roof where we had abrasions caused by tree limbs.

Eternabond is easy to work with and really sticks! Be sure to clean the entire area well with rubbing alcohol or acetone (they both do a good job of cleaning but I'd rather use the alcohol).