Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2007, 04:30 AM   #1
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Bedroom Ceiling

The bedroom ceiling between the shower door and the bed is slowly started coming down. Several of the brads(nails) that hold the ceiling have come loose and the ceiling is now sagging about 1". I tried "renailing" with a longer nail, but am unable to hammer the nail in - perhaps because the joists are metal? How should I go about repairing this problem?

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:55 AM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Yes - they are metal studs, and they used finish nailers with no glue to put the sheeting up (at least in ours).
If the offending area is under a seam strip, you could use some short screws, but will need a finish nailer and color matched putty for the nail holes to reattach the strip.
I have finish nailers in my line of work and have pulled loose and renailed some areas for surround wiring in our bedroom.
They don't hold by much, and you will need to adjust the power (depth) so you don't drive through the panel.

I have noticed an area in our bathroom that is pulling loose and will also need attention.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:59 AM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
...by the way - you did notice I said no glue was used. If you do glue it up to avoid future repairs, you will not get it apart again without replacing the area being worked on.
I would consider this periodic maintenance to do some renailing.
These units do shift around a bit and things will work loose.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:17 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had a small thing or two fall off the camper but the ceiling is still in place.Did have a camping friend in a SOB that had nearly all of his bedroom seiling seperate.I am sure someone will rationalize this but I can't. These are campers that bounce and bump down the road..That is what they normally do. They are not designed to stand still..they have wheels. I would think that the fact that they are RV's that bounce around would be taken into consideration in the design and engineering of these things. We have never had the headliner fall off our trucks, or a fender or nuts and bolts fall off and they bounce and bump over the same roads as the camper and cost just as much or more than the camper...and I see nowhere in the manufacturers literature that we should not bounce and bump these things down the road... confused again????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:19 AM   #5
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Could you give it the rustic cottage look . Some oak strips stained to mach the woodwork. Drill and coutntersink the strips to match location of overhead framework. Then use stainless steel sheet metal screws to fasten up wood stripping. Then use wood hole plugs to cap the screw heads. This will give more support and spread out the ceiling panel stress.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote