Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Satellite Antenna Orientation

This is not a how to, but a "watch out."

As you may have read, I bought the Carry Out satellite antenna made by Winegard. I am very happy with it. This post is on the manual portable antenna.

So when I was trying to set up the Dish 1000 antenna, I plugged the zip code into the setup menu and it gave me an azimuth of 202 degrees, and the elevation and skew. So I tried and tried and tried to get the signal, using a signal strength meter, to no avail.

So, I went online and looked up the azimuth using an on-line stellite azumuth calulator and it said, true North reading of 212 degrees. Figuring magnetic delination of about 6 degrees East, that would make it about 206 degrees. Okay, which do I use, 202, 206, or 212? Hmmm!

I tried and tried, and tried, and then tried again, pegging the signal strength meter but unable to get a "green" signal on the television. Absolutely frustrating.

In roll some other campers, and in 10 minutes he has his Dish Network working. In roll some other campers next to me and he breaks out his Dish 500 antenna. I departed and went and bought the Carry Out. When I returned, he was still trying to set up his Dish 500 on 202 degrees. Now, "we," could not get it to tune in. Off to the 10 minute set up man and ask for help. He comes over with his signal meter, same as ours, and then says, you should be pointing at 185-187 degrees. I did not even ask him where he got that number. But darn if it didn't work.

Now, let me say that it worked, but after some other adjustments. I know that the primary satellite for Dish Network is 119. Tune that one in and you are close to the others. The camper I was helping had had a professional install by Dish Technicians. Coming out of his LNB were two lines, labeled 119, and 110. Before I came on the scene there was no signal at all. I switched the leads on the back of the receiver for Sat1 and Sat2 inputs and we were able to get at least one satellite, but not two (110, 119). These leads were going directly to the back of the satellite receiver and not through any switches or boxes. I finally said, I'll be right back, and when I returned I had a Satellite Separator(switch) (1 line in, two out, with DC pass) and two 6 ft RG6 cables. I removed the 110 line into Sat2, and replaced it with the separator and the two RG6 leads into the receiver. We didn't even have to tweak the antenna, both 119, and 110 had 60 percent signals.

I'm sure glad I purchased the Carry out. I have not installed a security system to keep it from walking off, but I disconnect it and take it inside the RV when we are leaving the campground. When we return, I set it back outside, hook up the RF and DC cables, turn it on, and within 3 minutes it has found all 3 satellites (110, 119, 129) and we are watching television.

Anyone want to purchase a Dish 1000 antenna with tripod? I have it modified so it can be broken down and stored easily. Make you a sweet deal!!!!!!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Wayne, I get the coordinates for both my Hughes and Directv but I have NEVER had either hit exactly. Hughes is usually off by as much as 8 degrees, Directv is usually 5 to 7. That is why I now have a Birdog Meter. I will get it set in the general area and scan back and forth till I get a lock. At that point I check the Azimuth and it has never been the exact reading that the modem or the receiver said it should. The elevation is usually pretty close though. Once I get into the general area I will scan 10 degrees either side of the required azimuth till I get a lock signal then narrow it down for best overall signal. Good Luck... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote