Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2019, 05:47 PM   #41
JPDoege
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23236
Send a message via Skype™ to JPDoege
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Google truck towing capacity. Lots of info out there including from our good friends @ CW.
https://rv.campingworld.com/towguide
HOWEVER, after all the number crunching, (yes this truck is CAPABLE of pulling that rig) we followed the EXCELLENT advice of this forum and stories of white knuckle rides and people upgrading from SRW to DRW we decided to bite the bullet and traded in the Prius for a F350 Lariate, crew cab, full bed, diesel, dually. Going uphill, down hill, cross winds, 18 wheelers blowing by me. Never felt a thing. Safety first. Glad we got it.
Thank you guys
Thanks for the link!! Ran my vehicle and the numbers are correct. Be safe out there!

JPDoege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #42
sberlin
Established Member

M.O.C. #22049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers51 View Post
Wondering if I have enough truck for what I am towing here are the numbers
2015 Chevy Silverado SRW 3500 Duramax crew cab
Gvwr 11500
Gawr front 6000
Gawr rear. 7050

Had truck and trailer weighed at cat scale
Steer axle 4940
Drive axle 6480
Trailer axles 10400
My opinion is you are within limits as weighed. If you weren’t fully loaded and/or missing some people, etc. and estimate this might be another 300lbs+/- it works for me. If you estimate another 1K lbs then no. The weight limits need to be adhered to but there is always leeway and still be safe. Not unlike a road sign indicating taking a curve at 30mph but you can easily and safely take the curb at 35mph or towing is 55mph in CA but 65mph in most States and still deemed safe.
sberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #43
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
If the gvwr of the truck is 11,500, that means that the weight on the truck axles is 11,500. Each axle has a rating. You can not overload either axle. GVWR of your truck has nothing to do with the total trailer weight, but the weight on the hitch adds to the weight already on the rear and front axles. Weigh each axle with the 5th wheel attached to be sure that neither axle weight is overloaded. I'm sure you will find that you will have plenty of extra carrying capacity.

Towing capacity is a totally different thing. I already know that a 3500 Chevrolet srw will tow well over 14,000 pounds. My 2018 srw is rated to tow more than 17,000 pounds. You probably have way more truck than you need.
Buckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:48 PM   #44
browens62
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21399
Pop up. TT that the Durango could handle. 1year later truck to pull the TT ,. I thought I plan planned for the 5th ,. Now will be upgraded the truck in the future.

Just a money pit to enjoy life.
browens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:21 PM   #45
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Opinion,,, 3500 350 Srw, fiver up to 34 feet, over, dually..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #46
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Someone could make a lot of money selling large balloons that could be filled with helium to put in rigs and trucks to give folks more tow capability. Might let folks get more use out of their Ranger or Colorado trucks.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:05 PM   #47
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have no doubt a DRW truck is a better tow vehicle for heavy trailers. My HC weighs in at 92 9300 pounds with a hitch weight of 1800 pounds. A property equipped F150 can tow 13200 pounds with a pay load of about 1450. If I load my camper heavy in the rear, say a tank of water and several hundred pound in the back and take everything out of the front and get the hitch weight down to where it less than 1450 pounds with me and the hitch in the truck. Then I will still be under the 13200 pounds. Is that safe????
I don’t think so. In fact I know it isn’t but it would still be within tow specifications.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:26 AM   #48
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I know this is getting a little off topic. I remember my first camping trip. It was February 1967 at Fort Dix Nj. in a pulp tent. The platoon didn’t mind. We got to go home in 16 weeks and the poor old Sargent had to stay. Every morning they brought abound split pea soup. It was awful but I ate two cups of it. Man was it good.
Lynwood
Ha ha, I arrived at Dix in November of that year. Never saw any pea soup, good thing I hate the stuff. Once a week we got French toast though and it was darn good. By then they had shortened basic to 8 weeks to churn them out faster. After 4 weeks we went home for Christmas. Coming back was worse than the first arrival because we all knew what we were coming to. I wonder which month was colder, Feb or Nov.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #49
Jayne-O

M.O.C. #18846
But will insurance pay?

If this has already been discussed, forgive me. I read through many replies, but didn’t see the topic of tow capability and insurance. What is true is if you get in an accident, your insurance company will calculate your numbers. If your vehicle is over the acceptable stats, they do not pay. I’m with the safety side of the argument. Good luck. It’s a tough one, for sure.
Jayne-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:36 PM   #50
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne-O View Post
If this has already been discussed, forgive me. I read through many replies, but didn’t see the topic of tow capability and insurance. What is true is if you get in an accident, your insurance company will calculate your numbers. If your vehicle is over the acceptable stats, they do not pay. I’m with the safety side of the argument. Good luck. It’s a tough one, for sure.

I ask my insurance agent. They called Allstate and yes you are covered. They can’t deny coverage if you speed, run a red light or drive drunk.
Go ask your agent and see what they say.
Lynwood
Old 09-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #51
Jayne-O

M.O.C. #18846
Quote:
I ask my insurance agent. They called Allstate and yes you are covered. They can’t deny coverage if you speed, run a red light or drive drunk.
Go ask your agent and see what they say.
Lynwood
Hello Lynwood. I most certainly did ask my Progressive agent and shopped around. Perhaps you could Google denial of claims due to insufficient tow capacity. Here is one quote from one site. It would be considered negligence, not akin to speeding, etc.

“Towing in excess of the vehicle manufacturer’s weight limits could not only prove dangerous, but could even be considered negligent. In the event of an accident with an overweight personal vehicle, you could be held responsible for higher awards in a lawsuit for damages to other people, vehicles or property.”
Jayne-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:48 PM   #52
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
here we go again.....
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #53
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne-O View Post
I wish, well intentioned, uninformed people would not do this. It is PURE HOGWASH!
Please, please please dont give out false information. It serves no purpose. This is akin to saying if you have bald tires, you're not covered, if you bought a gob of goods at costco causing your little hyundai to exceed the cars gvwr and get in an accident, and being overweight was a cause, insurance would still pay.. please stop the fake information.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:58 PM   #54
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
I wish, well intentioned, uninformed people would not do this. It is PURE HOGWASH!
Please, please please dont give out false information. It serves no purpose. This is akin to saying if you have bald tires, you're not covered, if you bought a gob of goods at costco causing your little hyundai to exceed the cars gvwr and get in an accident, and being overweight was a cause, insurance would still pay.. please stop the fake information.

Thanks well said.
Lynwood
Old 09-05-2019, 05:18 PM   #55
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Read it again, it doesn't say the Insurance Company won't pay.
“Towing in excess of the vehicle manufacturer’s weight limits could not only prove dangerous, but could even be considered negligent. In the event of an accident with an overweight personal vehicle, you could be held responsible for higher awards in a lawsuit for damages to other people, vehicles or property.
It's just telling you that if the Courts award more that you insurance coverage is, that you will be responsible to pay the excess which could put you into the poor house after watching some accident Lawyers adds of multi-million dollar awards.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:15 PM   #56
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Read it again, it doesn't say the Insurance Company won't pay.
“Towing in excess of the vehicle manufacturer’s weight limits could not only prove dangerous, but could even be considered negligent. In the event of an accident with an overweight personal vehicle, you could be held responsible for higher awards in a lawsuit for damages to other people, vehicles or property.
It's just telling you that if the Courts award more that you insurance coverage is, that you will be responsible to pay the excess which could put you into the poor house after watching some accident Lawyers adds of multi-million dollar awards.
That's a good point and like you say with the way the courts/juries hand out the multimillion dollar lawsuits that would far exceed insurance coverage you could well be spot on!!

But putting aside financial risk for a moment isn't there a MORAL obligation to do the right thing and not tow overweight?? I know if I rear ended a car full of young children and heaven forbid one died because I was overweight I would never recover from the tragedy!! And since I am not willing to take that risk myself I certainly would not recommend doing so to a newbee to the towing arena. Telling someone unfamiliar with towing that it is ok to be overweight is just wrong any way you slice it!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:58 PM   #57
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Where are these "multimillion dollar awards going to come from? Insurance policies have a limit, ie 500,000 or whatever. We learned in law school that its one thing to win an award, but then try to collect.. just because lord forbid, i get sued for 10 million , i say 'So what?" My insurance will pay the max, but I dont have it. I dont work, have a reverse mortgage, have two pensions that are judgement proof, everything is protected... cant go after my ss... cant get blood from a turnip as they say..
Old 09-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #58
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I had a million dollar umbrella policy. My insurance agent advised me to cancel it. He had never seen a million dollar judgement against one of his clients.
Lynwood
Old 09-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #59
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
I had a million dollar umbrella policy. My insurance agent advised me to cancel it. He had never seen a million dollar judgement against one of his clients.
Lynwood
It only cost about $20 a month for $1 million umbrella policy. And covers about anything that you may be sued for....not just traffic accidents.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #60
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Lynwood
With the outrageous awards being given out now, that is a real surprise.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote