Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Rather than taking the battery out you could consider a quick disconnect switch, unless you want to remove the battery so it doesn't get stolen or you wish to take it somewhere for keeping it charged and maintained. You will still need some way to keep the battery charged and conditioned.

If you do not remove or disconnect the battery(ies) the 12v propane sensor continues to run when the battery is present and will eventually drain your battery. I am not sure if you have hardwired alarms (like fire and Carbon monoxide because mine are alkaline battery operated) but these could also drain your battery. If you (accidently or purposefully) leave on your furnace, fridge, water heater of any of these 12v controlled systems, the battery will drain. I have heard stories of unfortunate owners who left a 12v light on (or possible something as low draining as the television booster switch) during storage and ended up with a dead battery.

12v is required to run any 12v lighting and to operate the slides and landing gear. However, I have used my TV with the engine running to operate the lights, slides and landing gear while connected with the trailer hitch cord, but I have a diesel with dual batteries. In this case your trailer needs to be positioned to reach the TV or bring your battery with you and run the RV off that - hopefully the battery was stored, charged and maintained when you plan to use it for these purposes.

The biggest problem you will have is keeping the battery charged and conditioned wherever you store it. You must also check the water level once a month to ensure it stays in its best condition (avoid sulfation), but this is a different topic from your original post. Post again if you'd like some suggestions in that area.

I hope this helps.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote