Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2020, 10:01 PM   #1
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
spare tire holder

so 50 miles north of Tonapah Nv., at 3AM, we had a blow out..............she warned me about those china bombs........Good Sam club was excellent. But as the tow truck operator and I were putting back the spare tire the mechanism that is suppose to lift the spare tire into place stripped a gear or such and would not lift the tire into place.
We have a 2006 Montana 29RL. Any advice on replacement of such....I ve got the tools but don't have a manual.
LAZZ

Rich Lazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:09 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I've never been real happy with the cable lift hanger device we have, though it still works. If it ever fails, I will probably get one of these to replace it.
https://www.amazon.com/BAL-28218-Hid.../dp/B00KPQYV0E
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:44 AM   #3
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
I've never been real happy with the cable lift hanger device we have, though it still works. If it ever fails, I will probably get one of these to replace it.
We had one of those on our 2015 MHC 305RL. Easy to use, (never had to actually use the spare, luckily) plus when traveling, we strapped our empty “blue boy” on it. No way to do that with the cable lift on the 3811 now.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #4
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lazz View Post
so 50 miles north of Tonapah Nv., at 3AM, we had a blow out..............she warned me about those china bombs........Good Sam club was excellent. But as the tow truck operator and I were putting back the spare tire the mechanism that is suppose to lift the spare tire into place stripped a gear or such and would not lift the tire into place.
We have a 2006 Montana 29RL. Any advice on replacement of such....I ve got the tools but don't have a manual.
LAZZ
Here's a replacement:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JMHFK4S/?coliid=I2VRZJIT1VJ1SV&colid=2PBOI3VENI9MQ&psc=1&r ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Mine lowered the tire ok, but when I went to lift it, the lower part of the plastic mechanism cover spread apart causing the lift cable to come off its spool. If I held the pieces together as I raised the wheel, it worked.

I ended up grinding the metal cover flush to the plastic at the bottom and used a hose clamp to keep the plastic parts together. Works like a charm.

As an added safety measure, I also put a ratchet strap from the sides of the mounting frame slung under the tire. Tire will stay in place even if the lifting mechanism fails.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:33 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Thanks, that's good to know. Bookmarked it on Amazon for future use if necessary.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #6
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Quote:

That comes standard on High Country's. It's my favorite spare system we've owned. Quick, easy and clean.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #7
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Bob, that replacement carrier sure looks user friendly. That looks like the way to go.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #8
jhholmes7

M.O.C. #26366
Same thing happened to my 19 3561RL. It was still within warranty. CW �� now has the replacement and is supposed to install it on Wednesday. Hopefully it will be better than the original since warranty has now expired.
jhholmes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #9
JimKrieger
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27179
I've found that the tire winch for your year is an old style no longer available. The new style is available from LC1.com (Lippert Components Store) and should turn more easily as it appears to have a extra reduction gear. I will be replacing my old winch with this new one along with a welded extension from them. You would need to estimate the extension length, probably 43" will do. One big problem though, the new style is oriented 90º the wrong way. I will be purchasing a 2' long 1" X 2" channel iron from Metals Depot, cutting it to 17" and having it welded to the two 71" long existing support members. It will be positioned to match up the mount holes in the new winch with a new bolt I will add to the center of the new channel iron and one of the the old bolts hanging from the one old channel iron. I expect to be doing this change in February and can report if you want. Total cost will be about $125. Decided not to do the other spare tire holder devices mentioned here, because they claim the entire width of the trailer, some of which I may want to use for a storage box(es) in the future.
JimKrieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:12 PM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
For the do it yourselfers .... I've fabbed a complete spare tire holder that bolts to the rear frame for a couple of RV's that stored the spare in the front storage compartment. Front storage was a crappy idea to start with and took up lotsa storage space. I just took measurements from my old Montana's underslung holder. Anyways, I just used a spare tire winch off a mid to late 90's Ford pickup which resembles Lippert's version very closely. You may have to drill different mounting holes, but the Ford winch seems a bit sturdier and can be had for under $45. Like mentioned, I also use a ratchet strap around the spare tire and frame of the spare holder for complete peace of mind while traveling.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:36 PM   #11
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Thanks, that's good to know. Bookmarked it on Amazon for future use if necessary.
Did the same. Like the ease of use.
Gunny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:41 AM   #12
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
Mine just stripped out also. I purchased a Lippert Winches to replace it. I bought if from E Trailer. It won't bolt to the same holes. I bought a steel plate with correct bolt holes and used it to bolt the new winch into place over the cross member that the old winch was bolted to. With this one you need to buy a new extension arm, but it is the correct length and the same crank that works the back stabilizers also fits this.
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:34 AM   #13
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:

Its a solid carrier, and certainly won't drop a tire, its what I have on mine, with a cheap 235/80/16 on it, its not too bad to use . Put a Sailun 235/85/16 on it, and its a tough one to get back up, and latched because of the weight. You definitely need to eat your Wheaties before you attempt it Pretty sure there are some that will NOT be able to get that tire back in place.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #14
JimKrieger
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwengermt View Post
Mine just stripped out also. I purchased a Lippert Winches to replace it. I bought if from E Trailer. It won't bolt to the same holes. I bought a steel plate with correct bolt holes and used it to bolt the new winch into place over the cross member that the old winch was bolted to. With this one you need to buy a new extension arm, but it is the correct length and the same crank that works the back stabilizers also fits this.
Do you recall your source and maybe part number for the steel plate. That would be perfect for me.
JimKrieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:15 AM   #15
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
It's 9.5"x3"x1/8" steel plate with four slotted bolt holes. I bought it at Murdocks which is a local AG type store. They are a chain, but not sure where all they are located.
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:23 AM   #16
Palixdog

M.O.C. #20496
Does anyone have a suggestion for a bumper type tire mount?
Palixdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:39 PM   #17
MoonTan

M.O.C. #30509
Replacement Spare Tire Winch

I was able to find a direct replacement for the spare tire winch for our 06 3500RL. This was through Fayette Distribution, 500-100 Undermount Sidewind Spare Tire Winch. This bolted right into place. I had to cut off the extension tube and drill a new hole and bolt the tube to the new winch.

I looked at the eTrailer winch and it looks nice. But I just didn't want to go through having to weld some new metal in place to reposition the winch.
Two Quarter horses, a Rottweiler and a barn full of cats
MoonTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 05:31 PM   #18
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You may want to start looking at the dates of the replies on these threads and perhaps start a new post. You just resurrected a 2.5 -year-old thread.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote